Did we know this?
by mocopdx (2018-04-19 12:32:40)

He might ave been second had UL not fired Jurich.
by D8NDomer  (2018-04-19 16:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now there is some real larceny.

When ND pays people like BK ~$5MM and Swarbs ~$3MM
by KevinG  (2018-04-19 16:19:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How can I justify donating money to the institution when it burns it so carelessly?

Couldn't a homeless shelter use some of Swarbrick's bonus? Or maybe a center for sexually abused children?

Let no one say that we dreamed too small
by breadman  (2018-04-20 06:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

unfortunately we’ve found that ND dreams about wasting money

What a waste of $$$. Two slimeballs... *
by Wolfetone  (2018-04-19 17:50:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey, it's a separate budget!
by ndzippy  (2018-04-19 16:39:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I promise, not one penny of YOUR donation will go to Swarbrick's salary. So what's the big deal?

Isn't that usually how organizations like ND justify things like this?

How they usually justify these things is that having someone
by FL_Irish  (2018-04-19 16:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...excellent in these roles generates value to the University that is many, many multiples of the cost.

Our problem is not that we are paying our athletic director around $1.5M per year (as noted below the $3M number is, based on the available evidence, a one-year outlier). Our problem is that Jack Swarbrick is the guy we're paying to be athletic director. These are two separate issues and we should be careful not to conflate them.

Kevin White is a genius
by ndzippy  (2018-04-19 15:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He joined Duke well after Coach K had established himself as one of the best (if not the best) coach in the country.

The football team has gotten better under his watch, but David Cutcliffe was signed six months before Kevin White took that AD role, so he can't take any credit for that.

The women's basketball program has been strong during his tenure, but, again, Joanne McCallie was hired before he took the job and his been there since.

In other words, he's done absolutely nothing for the three revenue-producing sports at Duke. As for the rest of the programs, I'll use Duke's finishes in the Capital One Cup standings to tell the story:

2010-2011: Men #13 / Women #16
2011-2012: Men #30 / Women #5
2012-2013: Men #5 / Women #11
2013-2014: Men #8 / Women #13
2014-2015: Men #6 / Women #18
2015-2016: Men #99 / Women #13
2016-2017: Men #49 / Women #36

Hmmm, looks like things have gotten worse over the past 7 years, not better.

So...how the f@$% is he worth $1.45 million per year? And why does he deserve to be the third-highest AD in the country?

To be fair, the men's lacrosse team won multiple
by tf86  (2018-04-20 09:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

National championships under his watch, whereas they had never won a national championship prior to his tenure.

Of course, Duke hired Danowski before White was onboard, so he can't claim any credit, other than timing, for the success of the men's lacrosse team.

I maintain that White had incriminating pictures of high-ranking members of ND's Administration, and probably has the same for their opposite numbers at Duke. Maybe he's doing a better job at Duke, I don't know. I do know that at Notre Dame, Kevin White as Director of Athletics was the functional equivalent of George Costanza as Assistant to the Travelling Secretary of the New York Yankees. Except that Costanza was funny.

Do you know how expensive it is to live in Durham?
by dbldomer7375  (2018-04-19 16:42:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not very expensive, actually.

In Swarbrick's defense:
by RedIrish  (2018-04-19 15:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As far as we know, the number of molestations and fatalities occurring under his purview are down from earlier in his career.

Ehem, Director of Athletics. Please amend the entire article *
by randalgraves  (2018-04-19 14:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ehem, Vice President and James E. Rohr Director of Athletics
by Mark_It_Zero  (2018-04-19 15:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at Notre Dame. Let's get it right.

This is why he won't retire.......ever. Ugh! *
by HoundDog1973  (2018-04-19 13:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly.
by SWPaDem  (2018-04-19 15:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll have to pry him away from Notre Dame with a crowbar! (Or should I say Indianapolis?)

Double any other AD in the country?
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-04-19 13:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, I did not know that. Apparently that also puts Kevin White in second place, or at least a tie for it.

FFS. This is graft.

Swarbrick at any price is a bad deal but...
by FL_Irish  (2018-04-19 12:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the year used for this analysis is an outlier when it comes to Swarbrick's compensation. For some inexplicable reason he received a bonus of around $1.8M.

Looking at prior years his compensation appears to be in the $1.1M to $1.6M range, more in line with other top athletic departments (although in our case the fact that we are a top athletic department has little to do with the man running it).

A reward for buying the time to do it right. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-04-19 14:55:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Deferred comp vesting?
by fontoknow  (2018-04-19 13:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't believe he's been our AD for just a few months shy of a decade.

The $1.8M is listed under Bonus/Incentive on the Form 990
by FL_Irish  (2018-04-19 14:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and there's a separate column for deferred comp, but I'm not all that familiar with the requirements for Schedule J so that could still be the right answer.

It would have to be seeing Crossroads to completion. *
by MistakenD  (2018-04-19 12:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're No. 1.
by SWPaDem  (2018-04-19 12:47:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're No. 1

The "other" sources of income are probably NBC, Under Armour
by akaRonMexico  (2018-04-19 12:47:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Lens Crafters.

Both of the entities you mention also employ our AD's
by ACross  (2018-04-19 12:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

children.

As an attorney, saucy sees no conflict there. He is a
by cj  (2018-04-19 13:03:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

major problem for ND and he has used the school for massive personal gain. He is the worst AD in ND history. I wonder if he thinks McGraw's effort this year trumped kelly's in '15. Probably not...

PS Weiber testified before a Senate panel yesterday. Her time frame for abuse began in 2006. I don't have any details on what she said.

"Wieber on Tuesday filed a lawsuit in a California state court against Michigan State University, USA Gymnastics, the U.S. Olympic Committee and others involving abuse at the hands of Nassar, who had been a renowned sports doctor for gymnasts."

Sir, I didn't come here to have my son accused of nepotism *
by meatwhistle  (2018-04-19 14:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sir, it is not an accusation. It is a fact. Also, it is
by cj  (2018-04-19 16:10:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not 1 child, but 2. Now shut up as we sort out this mess.

I'd love to see Savvy & Sally Jessy Raphael in a cage match
by SWPaDem  (2018-04-19 12:50:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

fighting for all the eyewear.

Probably also includes his kids' salaries. *
by NDBass  (2018-04-19 12:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with you. Jim Phillips' compensation is a joke.
by rick  (2018-04-19 12:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick's compensation is old news.

He really is robbing ND blind *
by dwjm3  (2018-04-19 12:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last year likely set a record annual dollar increase and
by nd71  (2018-04-19 16:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

overall AD record for revenues and profits.

By ND's current dollar-based metrics for AD performance, Jack's performance bonus was well deserved.

He and they are ND.

We are so not.