Right Kinda Cracks
by Kayo (2018-10-18 08:49:22)

• Lucy VanPelt made as many stops as she could, but logistics didn’t work for a South Bend visit on Saturday.

• Brian Polian has grown from that 30-year old who arrived at Notre Dame to coach special teams in 2005 into the great candidate for an important role in athletics administration that he is today… literally today.

• Free Dexter Williams!

• There were plenty of would haves and could haves in Saturday’s game, but nothing translated to the point differential more tangibly than placekicking.

• Because the Power 5 programs played conference games this week and because we won’t be able to highlight all of the SEC’s Week 12 patsy games in real time, I’m going to look five weeks into the future for this week’s Pinkel award candidate. It’s Florida. The Gators Week 12 will prepare for their regular season finale vs Florida State with a glorified scrimmage against 2-4 Idaho. It isn’t too late to get your SEC Network subscription.

• The “When to go for 2” chart should be kept in a lock box until the last 10 minutes of every game.

• Louisville fell to 2-5/0-4 after Saturday’s drubbing at Boston College. Bobby Petrino is toast.

• Chip Kelly got his first win at UCLA on Saturday. Let Bruins Football excitement begin!

• If we want to anoint an ass kicker of the week, the Irish defense will provide no shortage of candidates. This week I’d go with Julian Okwara this week for his seven QB hurries, sack, and awesome tackle for loss on a play that mattered a great deal.

• I knew I had my Week 7 Hardin Award nominee as soon as I heard Tim Brando say that Iowa State’s last night win at home vs top 10 team was 2,521 days ago during FS1’s broadcast of the Cyclones’ victory over West Virginia (a) because the statistic is nominally true but worthless which are the award’s criteria, and (b) because I wouldn’t have to spend time Sunday morning scouring postgame notes for useless information. It wasn’t enough to create a factoid based on three layers of qualification. The FS1 team’s use of “2,521 days” were intended to make the time since the home night victory over a top 10 team in 50 degree weather when it rained three days before the game and the head coach’s puppy pooped outside for the first time sound so much longer than the 7 years they represent.

• The Irish won after trailing at halftime for the first time since the September, 2015 game at Virginia. If I were more industrious, I’d know whether that’s a damning statistic about Brian Kelly teams or a Hardin Award nominee because it represents a trivial sample.

• Dumb media question (I know. Redundant.) of the week.

• This week I am Sparty-cus.

• Kayo

• Replies:
    This post or one above it in the reply chain has been locked by the Site Administrators. No reply is permitted.