Sorry for new thread on this, but jtron TOO TOO loud
by btownirish (2018-10-15 10:30:50)
Edited on 2018-10-15 10:32:24

I had previously posted after attending MICH game that I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. After attending yesterday's game, I've changed my mind. The jtron is too loud, way too loud. Both games we sat around the 10-yard line on south side of stadium. This past Saturday I took my six-year old daughter (who admittedly had sensitive ears) and she refused to sit in the stadium. So much for her first ND game experience. I honestly don't know how they sell tickets directly under the jtron. I've heard that this is how it is at other stadiums (my only data point is the Big House and it wasn't that loud) and that this is what the kids want, but I refuse to accept that this is how ND has to be. I'm disappointed to say I won't be attending another game until they turn the volume down (as I admittedly have sensitive ears too). I'll be sending an email to Jack today.

PS. Read El K's article on topic which is why I thought pertinent.
PSS. What happened to the band playing after the game?! Is this a unfortunate by-product of putting them in the stands?

I was at the game and...
by njnd96  (2018-10-16 06:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We purposely bought tickets in the North end of the stadium due to our experience sitting in the South end zone last year. Look, I don't like the jumbotron, I don't like the content, and I don't like the volume. And I realize that it isn't changing.

My biggest complaint with the video board is that it neuters the band. I was sitting in the North end zone and the band was noticeably quieter than I remember. Now, maybe this is just an audio illusion because your brain is comparing it to the volume of the video board, but either way, anything that has the appearance of making the band seem quieter is bad in my book.

From time to time it's a few decibels more than comfort...
by Kbyrnes  (2018-10-15 17:13:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...level, but after having been to plenty of games where it was like an outdoor version of being in the family room (i.e., very little ambient noise at all), having it sound more like a stadium is OK by me. Could it be better? Yes, but if I waited until, like Goldilocks, I determined that everything about my game experience would be just right, I wouldn't go back, either. That's not my criterion; and I appreciate yours, so this is just offered FWIW.

Too loud for Pitt. It was ok for Vandy. My Wife put tissue
by 1978Irish  (2018-10-15 16:35:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in her ears during the Pitt game and we were in Section 109 which is a long way from the Jumbotron

I was at UofM this weekend, IMO tron was louder than ND
by ndgenius  (2018-10-15 13:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the music they played was awful...much had explicit lyrics and a lot my wife would look at me and say "did we even listen to this song when it came out?"

Are the speakers in question only on the south side? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-10-15 12:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lot depends on where you are sitting.
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-10-15 11:51:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've sat in row 3 underneath the jumbotron, and this last Saturday was the first time I've ever had issues with it being too loud. That was for 1 or 2 songs I think. In a lot of ways, I think it's actually better if you're under the tron because of how the speakers are angled. I could be wrong though.

On a side note, I HATED the whole "backing up" noise that they apparently just started this last game, it was not present in the Michigan or Stanford games. It's just really tacky and stupid. How long before it becomes a "Back them up! Brought to you by UHaul!"?

I heard the back up beeps on TV and wondered. Then I thought
by CAFB4ND  (2018-10-15 13:16:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to myself “There’s no way. I’m hearing things. It’s from the construction the neighbor is doing.” Sadly it seems I forgot that We Are ND. Of course we did something so cheesy.

They are playing backing “beeping’ sound?
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2018-10-15 13:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Horrible.

I read yesterday that OSU was showing movie promotions.

We can have celebrity beepers . . . . (link)
by Notra_Dahm  (2018-10-15 15:46:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cringed. *
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-15 13:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These people can’t control themselves
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2018-10-15 13:15:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is the same story everywhere. The powers feel the need to have their fingerprints on the gameday.

For instance, the OSU band has played Hang on Sloopy between the 3rd and 4rth quarter since the early 1960s. It was the same for 40 years and it was fine. Now, there is a whole PA announcement and video montage before they actually start playing like you are about to witness something mystical.

Does OSU provide official coolers for you to shit in?
by TAR  (2018-10-15 17:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or do you still have to bring your own?

"Video board" and "mystical"
by ndtnguy  (2018-10-15 13:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What are 'words that don't go together,' Alex?

Yikes
by Catdog2  (2018-10-15 14:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heard the beeping sound on TV too and thought it was from construction. That's embarrassing if they are actually playing that sound in the stadium.

It's like they go out and pluck the biggest dweebs on the planet to run these things.

When ND starts a "Sweet Caroline" tradition, I'm out.
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-15 13:43:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many schools would you say have that now? I could even hear it in the background of the WVU/ISU game listening to the game on the radio on the way home from South Bend. I was thinking that even ISU shouldn't have to stoop that low.

It has been in the rotation for 2 or 3 years
by ND8486  (2018-10-15 17:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Band plays it not the jumbotron.
The students seem to like it.

I'm not a big fan.

I assume you mean as part of the half-time show?
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-16 09:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or a commercial break song (where they ask the players to vote)?

I don't mind that. That means it would happen once per year. That's different from making it a tradition, or a victory celebration.

Classic case.
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2018-10-15 13:48:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OSU beat Michigan in 2016 in close hard fought game that went down to the final moments. The crowd rushed the field to celebrate. Rather than the students cheering and singing the fight song, the DJ cranked up Sweet Carolin to volume 100.

Talk about taking a dump on the moment.

I don’t know when things went so wrong.

This was also played after the OSU win over PSU last year. *
by tdiddy07  (2018-10-15 16:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sat in a similar area on Saturday...
by BigNDfan  (2018-10-15 11:38:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No issue with the volume except for one instance. They seemed to change the volume throughout the game.

I'd prefer it loud on 3rd down or in the 4th quarter of a close game. It doesn't need to be loud at any other time.

There must be a rule as to how loud it can be
by Chuck84  (2018-10-15 12:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

particularly when you're dealing with obtaining a sort of competitive advantage on 3rd and 4th downs. Correct?

I've never heard that....
by BigNDfan  (2018-10-15 14:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe there's a rule that you can't play music when a team is under center. Most teams cheat on that rule.

I'm not sure if Tennessee still does it, but they also use to mic the crowd and play it back through the sound system.

That’s about as cheesy and low rent as it gets
by ACross  (2018-10-15 16:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing loud music while the opposing team is under center (or at the line of scrimmage). No surprise, we do it.

I didn't see that at all on Saturday
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 17:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They played music sometimes, but as soon as Pitt broke the huddle, they cut it off.

Confirmed. I was looking for it and never saw a violation *
by Odschool  (2018-10-15 20:49:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It fits perfectly
by HTownND  (2018-10-15 16:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With those who love the away locker room setup.

There is nothing wrong with the visitors locker room *
by 84david  (2018-10-16 14:56:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn’t that the best?
by ACross  (2018-10-15 16:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also love putting the opposing band under the Jumbotron. Yuck it up! High five!

They don't call him Savvy for no good reason! *
by SWPaDem  (2018-10-15 17:59:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How long until it spritzes holy water during the prayer? *
by shillelagh  (2018-10-15 16:54:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When opponents miss field goals an animated "Touchdown Jesus
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-10-15 17:15:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be shown on the LepreTron with his arms raised, than then lower them to make the "no good" signal.

The His voice will boom "Oh no you di'n't!"

"I love you...
by captaineclectic  (2018-10-15 19:24:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but everyone else thinks you're AN ASSHOLE!"

Then He laughs.

"Looks like you missed, Heathen Pig !"
by Chuck84  (2018-10-15 17:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need a decided graphic advantage. After all, no reason to leave a mint on their pillows.

We only roll out the welcome wagon
by HTownND  (2018-10-15 18:00:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When collecting tickets

I've sat at the 50 for two night games with it
by fontoknow  (2018-10-15 11:20:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and in the North Endzone for the the Miami Redskins game last season.

I wasn't bother by it's volume.

I sat right under the scoreboard for the 2001 Purdue game (Bob Davie's last game as ND's coach). That was pretty loud, but the Purdue chant of "Davie's Fired" through most of the last quarter was far louder.

I sat in the same area last year and agree 100%
by wrathofsorin  (2018-10-15 11:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was impossible to have a conversation with anyone when the Tron was playing between plays.

This is going to come across as harsher than I intend it
by Catdog2  (2018-10-15 11:45:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but for fans that want to have a pleasant conversation during a game, you can do that at home on your couch.

I'm all for inviting kids to games, and I admit that I have sensitive ears as a kid as well. But a football game is a place where the sensitive kiddos just need to get over it as they do in every other stadium. You don't go to a concert and then complain about the noise.

Games are supposed to be loud and fans are supposed to yell.

The tron is definitely not THAT loud.

The biggest issue with it is the broadcasting of the team prayer, which is super lame for reasons which have already been posted here, and the risk of whoring it out to corporate advertisers.

Agree on the kid part
by chicagond99  (2018-10-15 12:00:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jumbotron or not, a college football stadium is hopefully going to be loud. And if a 6 year old has sensitive ears, then they're going to often have a tough time at it.

The problem is that the crowd wasn't loud.
by Domer84  (2018-10-15 12:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly in the first half of the game, the place was a morgue. And then the Jumbotron would kick on and it was a little startling. I was sitting in the north end zone, I can't imagine how loud it was in the South. So the only noise was artificially generated.

I'm talking more of the "That Kelly sure is an idiot" type
by wrathofsorin  (2018-10-15 11:53:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of conversation, rather than the "How is your golf game doing?" type of conversation.

I haven't been back since the Temple game last year...so perhaps they've turned it down some. But in the South end of the stadium for that game, I thought it was deafening.

I agree with you in terms of the loudness of the stadium...and Im the first one to be trying to get my seatmates to get up and yell. At the game I was at, in the section I was in, the Jumbotron actually had the opposite effect of getting the crowd into he game. People would just turn around and stare at the giant screen when it was blaring.

In answer to your PSS, yes *
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 11:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's The Alma Mater
by Domer84  (2018-10-15 12:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back when the band was in the stands around the 30 yard line, we had to go down the stairs and through the gates and stand on the field behind the team as the game came to a close. This took a little bit of doing. And some of the band had to go around the far side of the field to enter that way for the post game show.

We didn't play the Alma Mater immediately after the final gun. We would march on field playing "Irish Backs" then play the opposing teams fight song. Then we would play Notre Dame Our Mother, the Clog (and the Irish guard would dance) ,The Victory March then go immediately into the Hike song and march out the tunnel.And usually about 60 to 75% of the fans would stay until we were finished.

Once the band moved to the field, and the team started coming over to the student section, the band was in a position to immediately play and then let the team leave before post game. Now, the band has to wait until all that is over to even start coming out of the stands which is probably why there's not much of a post game show.

By the way, the alumni band has traditionally massed on the field after the game to leave and march out of the tunnel following the student band. This year, they were told they would not be allowed to do that because, and I'm not making this up, the University had to start setting up for Garth Brooks next week and, apparently, the 20 minutes it would take to allow the alumni band members to do that would throw off the schedule somehow. Ridiculous.

It also wasnt unusual for the band to repeat
by ND8486  (2018-10-15 14:54:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A selection or two from halftime.
By the time we headed north to the tunnel there be a couple hundred folks left in the stadium...My parents were two of them.

Except Miami 1988
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 17:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I swear, it took them 45 minutes to clear us a path out of there.

Are you shitting me? *
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 13:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The band does come down and play a little after the game...
by Slotts  (2018-10-15 12:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it doesn't seem like they play as long as they used to, though, after the game.

This is correct. I think just Hike and VM on the field.
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-15 13:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But maybe just the VM. They leave in formation to march to the field behind the band building.

Do they still stop and play outside the locker room? *
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 13:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No the locker room isn't at the outside edge
by ND8486  (2018-10-15 14:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of the stadium now.
My recollection was on the pre 1996 reno stadium, the locker room windows openned to the northnside as the band passed by on the way back to Washington Hall.

Nope.
by doolinbanjos  (2018-10-15 14:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just march out, over the Leahy St, and then up to the grassy area between Ricci, Rolfs and Jordan Hall of Science. They mostly do drum-line stuff on the march between the Stadium and that area.

Pretty cool to see the band alumni on Saturday
by Tiger Stadium  (2018-10-15 11:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The guy in front of us was an old trumpet player. I'm betting you guys could play those numbers in your sleep.

Great job!

It's like riding a bike
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 11:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm 25 years out, and I could play just about any of the cadences from memory.

I couldn't remember the Victory Clog.
by Domer84  (2018-10-15 12:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, I was there in the Faust years so we didn't play it that often.

I made the same joke
by EE Trumpet  (2018-10-15 22:09:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 years of Faust and I barely played the Victory Clog :-( Lou made up for it my Senior year. Sure enjoyed it last Saturday! Like others, I recall a much more extensive post game performance, and many fans sticking around.

The "preparing for Garth @ ND in a week" excuse for screwing us out of post game and marching out the tunnel was embarrassingly bad.

Well, you're also you, so.... *
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 13:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sat in Section 22, Row 50 last Saturday
by Tiger Stadium  (2018-10-15 10:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It marked the second time I've seen the jumbotron and I agree...the damn thing is way too loud.