Darn it! The truth of the matter is that we didn't start
by Dillon76 (2018-10-15 12:06:17)

chanting, "Rudy", until after he got the sack and the announcer came on and said a few things about him. One of things was that he had spent four years in the Navy. He was 27 years old when he made that play. As usual, because we won so often back then and we Dillonites were experts at sneaking booze into the stadium, I was drunk by the end of the game but those things I remember.

I had never heard that a guy did give up his jersey.
by The Oak  (2018-10-15 14:12:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does anybody know the story behind it?

I can't help there. I tried to walk on my Senior year and
by Dillon76  (2018-10-15 14:32:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

got laughed off the field. The first thing they did to Walk Ons, which wasn't in the movie, was time you in the 40 yard dash. I ran a 4.7. I still remember what one of the Assistant Coaches told me: "We have Defensive Ends running 4.9" (meaning Ross Browner and Willie Fry). They had unbelievable talent back then.

You should have told him that you were trying
by MDDomer  (2018-10-15 19:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

out for the DE position and just proved you were faster than them

I actually recall it differently
by EmilT76  (2018-10-15 12:45:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember a small group starting to chant something near the end. Then I picked up they werecsaying “Rudy...Rudy..”. Others started doing it and then he went in the game. There was lots of cheering when he got the sack

That’s exactly what happened. *
by Manor76  (2018-10-15 19:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto. *
by Kbyrnes  (2018-10-15 13:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember it the same way...
by watcher  (2018-10-15 13:07:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the chanting started before the end of the game in the middle of the 4th quarter based upon the article in the Observer about Rudy that week. He wasn't on the KO team like the movie had him but he did line up at left end and chase the QB from behind just like the movie.

Ditto - I was there, and asked my roommates what was up.
by Notra_Dahm  (2018-10-15 13:20:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hadn't read the Observer article, and they were already aware of what was going on, being friends with some of the players, and were joining in on the chant. Then he got in, and the student section, and then the crowd in general reacted to his play.