Great time at ND this weekend
by GU82ND4ever (2018-10-15 16:44:40)
Edited on 2018-10-16 07:12:51

We had a really fun time despite the painfulness of the game itself at various moments. Got to see my Ni21, a junior in the ND chorale, all too briefly, but I loved seeing her soaking up the whole Notre Dame experience. Unfortunately we got there too late to avail ourselves of the various barbecues on campus before they ran out of stuff like buns (hot dogs in a cup, anyone?).

Everyone at ND was super friendly and helpful. We took pics of Ne24, a diehard hockey fan, sitting next to the penalty box at the hockey arena. Our seats were in the sw upper bowl on the 10, and though the tron was loud at times, I was glad when it drowned out the Pitt band (to be fair, they were much better than USC’s band during Ty’s loss to them at ND). Two older guys behind us were giving running commentary the entire game. Though they were seated most of the game, they didn’t object when I stood for big plays.

The best part for me was something that happened at game end. I thought a lot about my late brother, ND’80, during the game. When he was a kid, he would collect half dollars and had a big glass jar full of them in his room. During the fourth quarter, I asked him to help us root on his Irish...silly, I know.

After we sang the alma mater with my nephew and bro ND’71, I reached into my left jeans pocket and pulled out, much to my surprise, a half dollar. I don’t remember receiving it, but it must have been given to me as change on a stop on 31 or at the stadium. Probably coincidence, but it made me happy to think our late brother was with us on a gorgeous fall day at ND.

I love your story...happy you enjoyed your visit *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2018-10-16 09:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your experience
by AeroJim71  (2018-10-16 00:15:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like to call your experience "serendipity". If you look at it closely, "serendipity" includes an "s", a "p", two "i"s, a "r" and a "t". To me, that spells "spirit" as in "Holy Spirit". Please don't think of this as a coincidence. Please think of this as a message to do good for others, in your brother's name. Thanks for your post.

Appreciate this
by GU82ND4ever  (2018-10-16 07:10:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love your interpretation of serendipity. That’s a great suggestion re my brother, too. Thanks

That's great. And there are no coincidences. *
by Papa November  (2018-10-15 19:42:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed, *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-10-15 23:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great story! I have metal tin full of half dollars just
by Endthecursein05  (2018-10-15 19:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From the stadium. Been keeping them for 20 years and can’t part with them for some reason. Glad you had a good time this weekend.

Very cool
by nd76  (2018-10-15 18:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for sharing

Definitely change from the stadium
by HTownND  (2018-10-15 17:59:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They love to give out the half dollars

Ah well
by GU82ND4ever  (2018-10-15 18:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still think bro was with us and will keep that coin.

I’m with you
by HTownND  (2018-10-15 18:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely an omen.

I like to think your brothers stash included some from ND games too.

It’s the only place I ever see them these days.

It explains how he got so many
by GU82ND4ever  (2018-10-15 18:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our folks didn’t have them to spare with 10 kids. Bro loved collecting them. I’ve no doubt ND helped him increase his stash. Finding the coin made for a nice end to the game, and I’ll treasure it.

Cliff Claven will have an answer for you re the half-dollar, *
by EMK64  (2018-10-15 17:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great story. *
by ndwifemom  (2018-10-15 17:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good time. *
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-10-15 17:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is pretty cool *
by dwjm3  (2018-10-15 16:50:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Painfulness of the game???
by NDTwice  (2018-10-15 16:50:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey, they won the game! Ranked fourth in the country! You don't always beat the spread. That's why they call it gambling.

Agree that a win is a win
by GU82ND4ever  (2018-10-15 16:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was just hard to watch the miscues at time, particularly that egregious 4th and 1 call.

Glad You All Had A Great Time ... Thanks For Sharing *
by subalumt  (2018-10-15 16:47:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post