The "was the TE open on 4 and 1" question.
by LondonDomer (2018-10-15 17:02:08)
Edited on 2018-10-15 17:34:02

I was curious to look back and see if the TE came open on that 4th and 1 play. I hated the call, just to get that out of the way. But I looked at it -- and here's what I saw:

This first picture shows as Book starts looking down field. At this point, #89 (Wright) is open -- but Books eyes are locked on #82 (Weishar). Weishar is still just entering his route and is not yet an option to throw to.

At this point, Wright remains open -- but Books eyes are still downfield on Weishar. Weishar has tighter coverage, and there are two DL probably obscuring Book's vision. Would be a really hard throw without lofting it (which might end up getting picked). He definitely should've thrown the underneath route to Wright at this point -- but didn't.

Book is entering no man's land. His eyes are still locked on Weishar down field, who is now more tightly covered and has a safety coming to help. Wright is less open, but Book could maybe force a throw there. He is still not looking at him.

The window's have closed. Book has a DL in his face, there are two men on Weishar and Wright is now covered and out of room towards the sideline. We all know what happened next.

I'm not sure what's book primary read was. If it was Weishar downfield -- I would wonder why. If it was Wright -- he never even looked at him.

Either way, the call was terrible. I absolutely hate it. Anyways, just thought people might want to see.

Nice work. Objective remarks.
by The Flash  (2018-10-17 21:44:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is what happens when you do not have a rushing offense that can take one yard from an opponent when it is required.

This is why I don't watch games anymore *
by pobrien  (2018-10-16 14:23:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you mean? *
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-16 15:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Passing on 4th and 1
by pobrien  (2018-10-16 15:46:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other TE option
by irishndude4  (2018-10-16 13:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought they could have used that tight end sneak out play to Mack that scored a big TD against Stanford again. If executed properly and at the right time, he's wide open.

QB sneak is always the correct call. *
by discNDav  (2018-10-16 09:09:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tom Brady agrees *
by Diddy  (2018-10-16 09:42:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly must think that nobody else watches film.
by 84david  (2018-10-16 08:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On every short yardage situation this year, when we line up in the "I" formation with TE acting as a fullback, we called a roll right pass.
Pitt was waiting for this all the way.

This is more of the "too cute by a half" of the Kelly era. Why not just a simple dive using the big TE as a ball carrier? The worst that could have happened was no gain and a turnover. Make it and game over.

Cross is correct below, eating the ball was the correct move once the routes closed up.

These are great; thank you.
by ocmj  (2018-10-16 01:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And how I remember it playing out. I couldn't believe he didn't throw it to Wright - which followed my disbelief of the playcall itself.

Weishar was jammed up pretty well
by Jvan  (2018-10-15 18:53:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he was able to release cleanly after the snap, Pitt's #20 would have been put in no man's land trying to decide whether to cover him or Wright. As it turned out, the backside defender (LB?) was able to run with Weishar and give the appearance that he was covered, and the two DL had by then shifted into the passing lane.

Have to get rid of ball on fourth down. A pick would have
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 18:00:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

most likely been a better result than eating the ball a few yards short

Interceptions can be returned, genius *
by ACross  (2018-10-15 18:49:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Most likely". 22 guys on the short side of the field...
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 21:21:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On a 15 yard pass...probably would've been tackled 12-18 yards further than where Book got tackled.

Also, no where in my post did I defend the play call, so take a chill pill. Can say a player didn't make the right decision without defending Kelly. Can also say that he made the wrong decision without saying he is a bad player. This is a message board

There were 5 Notre Dame players on the side of the field
by Section12  (2018-10-16 14:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one lineman one quarter back two tight ends and one hopelessly out of position wide receiver . Additionally the would have been only a lineman and quarter back between the db and the end zone. To make matters worse there would have been three blockers to block two guys.

A QB has to protect the ball
by ACross  (2018-10-15 22:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A pass has risk. We were ahead. Late in the game. Our defense is stalwart. He did the right thing by not throwining.

That's like saying we shouldn't punt because there is a risk
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 22:15:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a punt return for a touchdown. Would have to presume he would be throwing towards our guy, who would at worst fight for the ball and make a tackle if he lost that battle. Agree to disagree I guess

You are a truly dim bulb *
by ACross  (2018-10-15 22:21:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given your track record of accuracy, I'm flattered *
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 22:51:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good choice not picking scholar37 as a handle *
by ACross  (2018-10-15 23:31:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's okay man, I know you're upset that we are winning *
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 23:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’d think we’d be prepared for the chaos that goes on
by miamioh_irishfan  (2018-10-15 19:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the return game. Y’know, having practiced with a soccer ball and all that.

Might’ve been a decent segment of practice to work on kick returns Brian.

Absolutely what I was saying.. just throw it.
by NDFaninMadTown  (2018-10-15 18:46:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't trust our crappy O-line, because I think Quinn is not going to pan out as a quality OL coach. That was Kelly resorting to hiring a buddy, and very few of those have worked out.

So given the crappy OL play (if you want to argue that's on BK for a crappy OL I won't argue) but given what Long has to work with up front, and the proven effectiveness of this short TE pass, I have no issue with the play call. Book has to just throw it. There were opportunities to hit both Wright or Weishar in this situation.

My feeling is that the OL is going to be worse the farther they get away from Hiestand, but a few still have the skills they learned under him. As our young players get older it will really show itself.

the funny thing about route combinations
by jt  (2018-10-15 17:46:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

usually one route is designed to free up the other--for example, against a cover 3 look, you will often see an inside receiver/TE run a quick out (1 route) and the outside wr run a quick slant. That's designed to exploit the hole in the zone coverage as the corner plays outside technique as he has deep third and the ss/olb has flat and will follow the quick out and not be able to recover to defend the slant. However, I have noticed it more and more this year that teams are overplaying the first option (in this example, the slant) and giving up the "clearing" route (quick out) and qb's are sometimes not sure what to do.

That kind of looks like what's happening here--Kelly likely assumes that the defense will flow to the first out and not be ready for the second/layered route over top. If you notice, the defensive back/OLB (can't tell which position he is) stays flat and doesn't attack the quick flat, and from depth (where the qb is, of course) that makes it look like he's still in play on the layered route. Book needs to learn to read that better, as he really isn't in play on either route. Charlie Weis used to refer to this (probably still does, I assume) as "getting middled." The guy plays the middle/splits the difference and it causes the qb some hesitation.

That sounds like something which can be improved...
by El Kabong  (2018-10-15 17:52:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... as Book gains experience.

absolutely
by jt  (2018-10-15 18:40:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he just needs to learn to feel the defense better; just because a guy is "there" doesn't mean that the wr is covered. Need to see beyond jersey color and into body positioning, etc. Also, needs to understand that he needs to make the entire read and not just assume that the primary route is going to be open.

This is all on tape now--understand, I didn't watch the game so I cannot speak to exactly what Pitt was doing but I can see on this play what the confusion likely was. My guess is that teams will start to overplay the primary read and force Book to go to his second and sometimes third options. I think that the coaching staff also needs to do a good job of scheming things correctly so the defense doesn't just know what we're going to do based on their coverage pre snap and our formation/personnel grouping. We can't be baited into doing what they want us to do.

Going back to the play call
by Kayo  (2018-10-16 06:26:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and away from the execution.

Your description makes it seem like the play called wasn't one that Book executes well yet. It might be a successful play when Book is more experienced, and the only way he's going to learn to read it correctly is to run it in games.

However, giving Book a play that challenges his coverage reading skills on fourth down in a close game seems like a bad idea to me. The call on 4th and short might be sheer genius a year from now, but it wasn't a good idea on Saturday.

I think that this has resulted in multiple wide open td's
by athlete37  (2018-10-15 21:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year. Book has shown the ability to throw back to Boykin/Kmet and like you guys said will continue to progress toward more consistently doing that (*any BK QB regression aside).

Was hoping you'd chime in.
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good info.

Nice work. Notice Kmet on the top of the series of photos
by novadamer  (2018-10-15 17:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought for sure this was a roll right, throw back to the opposite side TE play. He, too, was uncovered.

He was open
by weirdo0521  (2018-10-16 13:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you usually don't want a right handed QB rolling right, throwing across the field , particularly late in the play. WE saw how that resulted earlier the game.

wow was he ever. easy TD. nice spot *
by jymbo  (2018-10-15 19:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kyle Shanahan will call those plays on purpose
by jt  (2018-10-15 17:48:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the back side look initially not being part of the read. However, if the guys in the box notice that nobody covered the guy, they will come back to it later. He does that a lot with his outside zone play action/half roll.

Of course, now he is calling plays with a very mediocre qb but when he has the horses he is as good a play caller as there is. I am not sure if that is what Kelly and co. were doing here.

Yeah, you're right.
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:44:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Completely uncovered. Probably would've walked into the endzone.

I spotted this watching on TV.
by goldhelmethead  (2018-10-15 17:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wright was open if he spots him fast enough.

Another decision would have been to run behind Mustifer. He had initial leverage and pushed his guy back. Kramer smashed his guy as well. One yard.

Nice post with the pictures.

Sorry for the gigantic pictures.
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm gonna resize those.

Another potential option would've been to loft it over the top Tony Jones who ended up being open -- but that's asking a lot and not really realistic.

The large pictures are fine.
by Goldhelmethead  (2018-10-15 19:46:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It made it easier to see development for me.

Could you include a couple earlier time frames as well? Thxs *
by ACross  (2018-10-15 17:46:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure -- here you go. Something interesting here...
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:59:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's the formation as the ball is snapped:

The play action fake -- which, by the way, continues to be awful and fooled no one. We really need to work on that:

The "something interesting" happens here. Book seems to glance at Wright. Wright is still in full sprint and has not turned back to look for the ball. This is truly a "glance" -- Book looks at him for a split second, and then locks his attention downfield. Perhaps a symptom of being relatively inexperienced. But to me, his eyes in this frame are on Wright.

And this frame brings us right before my other images. You can't tell but he's turning his head from Wright towards Weishar.

ok, now based on this you can see a few things
by jt  (2018-10-15 18:57:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) our fullback is slow out of his stance; note the qb separated from center and the OL firing off while he is still in his stance. Same issue with the playside TE and wing

2) if we had motioned that wing to the left/backside the LB's would have had to shift over and we could have run iso to the right and easily made the first down before the mike could have reacted back over the top. With our wr so close to the box, we also likely could have run toss sweep left for a big gain. If we had simply motioned the H back a bit (just past the TE) we could have run iso and had the fullback pick up the mike. In other words, the running plays are there we just choose not to run them. Hell, we could have just run zone left force and had everyone reach and we likely would have easily made the first down. the ILB is playing hard inside technique and not even respecting D gap to the left. The TE could reach and the FB chip to force (climb to the backer) and it would have been one on one with the free safety unless the corner came in (though the wr should have run him off).

3) given this set, it appears the corner is playing flat and is going to read the qb all the way. This is how Book gets "middled." Instead of having the wing/H release to the flat, if he had run a clear out/go, the corner would have had to make a choice--overplay the TE coming to the flat or play the clear out. Both routes would have been wide open, most likely. All 11 guys on defense are in the picture and you can see the FS flat footed. If you're going to take a shot, take a fucking shot and get some balls. This is too cute by half.

4) The wr also has a lot of space on his side and could/should have run a go, which at a minimum would occupy the corner and most likely the free safety, allowing the backside TE drag to open up once the LB come up to respect the run fake. The corner is playing hard inside technique and a quick outside fade with plenty of room to operate would have been wide open.

Basically, everything should have been open but for poor play design. Before the homers get all upset and remind me that we are 8-0 I would just point out that sometimes you win or lose despite yourself and there is a lot to learn from this tape, most likely.

Lot of great stuff here. 82 and 84 could have blocked man up
by Voisman  (2018-10-16 03:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And force the DB to make play on Book.

Thanks - real simple question for a layman-
by irishdemon  (2018-10-15 21:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should he/could he have just hit Wright right away and gotten the line?

Kelly was coaching up Book pretty good after the play - I wonder if Book overthought it, didn’t pull the quick trigger to Wright and missed his window.

The Pitt defender was closing on Wright pretty strong and hard and the gain would have been a yard and half at best - but still it would have been good enough.

This question has nothing to do with the philosophical issues I and most of us have with calling a pass play in this situation.

Also, 82 isn't past the stick
by weirdo0521  (2018-10-16 13:17:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's got to happen on 4th and 1.

maybe but it's maybe not what his first read was
by jt  (2018-10-16 01:14:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it perhaps should have been his first read, I don't know what he is looking at pre-snap.

Thanks for the analysis. Why is so hard for coaches
by MDDomer  (2018-10-15 19:35:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

making a ton of money to see the same things?

Interesting to see the formation
by dwjm3  (2018-10-15 18:07:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe we have lined up in that formation at the goal line multiple times as well. I believe every time I've seen us use this formation we have passed. The play action is going to become a waste of time if Kelly throws out of that formation every damn time.

That would make the call even worse.
by The Oak  (2018-10-15 17:23:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Surely a receiver downfield was not the primary read on 4th and 1.

Isn't the whole point of play action on
by KeoughCharles05  (2018-10-15 17:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3rd or 4th and short to catch the defense by surprise and spring a big play?

This is why I don't understand the desire for play action in this case. We didn't need a big play, or points, or anything beyond a first down.

It's simply to help create separation.
by tdiddy07  (2018-10-15 17:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not appreciably different whether that separation is a scoring play that gains a couple of yards or a first down that gains a couple of yards. Play action is an effective play in that situation as long as there's a true running threat.

I would hope not. But it appear Book's eyes were locked
by LondonDomer  (2018-10-15 17:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

downfield.

Kelly was upset with Book after that series
by 96_ND  (2018-10-15 17:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was after that series that some people commented that Kelly grabbed Book by the head or something. Watching it on tv it didn’t look bad to me.

From what I could tell Kelly was upset with him for not passing it short to the TE when he was open.

Even if Book missed the open short receiver it doesn’t excuse us for not being able to get the first down on a run between the tackles.

Now that's a surprise. Kelly Scooby Doo'ing a player
by ACross  (2018-10-15 18:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After a shitty playcall gone wrong. Especially if the camera is on him. The point he is making: hey world, it's this motherf'er's fault. Not mine. Play would have worked, if not for this meddling kid.

I'll never understand why any parent would
by MDDomer  (2018-10-15 19:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want their son playing for Kelly

Thanks for posting! Interesting. *
by Elgreco89  (2018-10-15 17:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone on the Mike Frank podcast pointed out that
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-10-15 17:08:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it tells your OL that the coaching staff doesn't believe they can get one yard (or whatever the distance was) rushing.

They obviously also don't have faith in the QB sneak, even though that's one of the most successful plays in the NFL for getting a yard (84% or something similar).

taking a look at the pictures again - the OL
by cdb9396  (2018-10-15 19:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had absolutely no push.

notice 4 nd OLinemen taking on 3 pitt players, with 2 of the nd guys ending up on the ground. that's right - 4 on 3 and 2 of the 4 ended up on the ground.

this team will not survive on Book's arm, Dexter's legs or the defense. The OL needs to get its shit fixed.

Well, its a pass play called, they can't exactly fire out *
by Bagimus Maximus  (2018-10-16 10:57:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post