Some midseason love for Kelly
by chicagond99 (2018-10-16 19:23:54)

Scroll down a bit to see the Coach of the Half Season.

I know Kelly gets a lot of grief on this board (some of it deserved, some of it not), but you have to like the job he's doing this year.

Take article with a huge grain of salt. Writer actually has
by Nwdomer  (2018-10-16 21:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scum in the playoffs

Deserves credit for recruiting Book.
by athlete37  (2018-10-16 20:56:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know I was skeptical, along with others, when that happened. Sanford may have sniped him, but we were ready to blame Kelly when Book/Josh Adams didn't fill holes at those positions.

Doesn't mean I think Book is a Brady Quinn caliber QB. Does lessen my concerns about what appears to be a lack in superstars in the 2019/2020 classes

Fitting award for a half-ass coach *
by Cliff Claven  (2018-10-16 20:02:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coach of the half year is a very apt description of Kelly
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-10-16 19:57:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The legend lives on from the Central Michigan Chippewas on down, of the big month they call what ya made of. Brian Kelly it’s been true, is a bone to be chewed, when the gales of November come early.

I accept this challenge ... The Wreck of the '17 Season
by ndhouston  (2018-10-17 02:25:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ewill and I have a fundamental disagreement about Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". She hates it; I love it.

Nonetheless, here's my attempt to complete what you started and capture Lightfoot's interpretation of the 2017 season. Enjoy.

-------------

The team was the pride of the American side, coming off of a blowout in South Bend. As big college teams go, they were better than most, with a line and a defense well-seasoned. Concluding mid-session ‘terms after midnight oil burns, they left fully-rested for South Beach. And later that night when the panic bell rang, could it be the collapse we’d been fearing?

The announcers and the crowd made a tattle-tale sound; and the offensive line started flailing. And every fan knew, as the country did too, twas the turnover chain reappearing. The reads came late and the run game had to wait while the November opponents came ‘slashing. When the second half came it was time for the fade, in the face of a Hurricane pass rush.

When halftime arrived the DC came on deck, sayin’ fellas it’s too loud to hear ‘ya. At 9PM the 3rd turnover kicked in, he said fellas, it’s been good to know ya. The coach wired in - his plan had water comin’ in - and the team’s playoff chance was in peril. And when later that night TV lights went out of sight, the season sunk like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Does anyone know where the running game goes when missed fades turn game minutes to hours? The analysts all say they’d have made other teams pay, if they’d run 15 more times a quarter. They might have run it up, or they might have squeaked it out, if they’d just developed more of a swagger. But instead all that remains are the highlights and the pains, of the fans who had to witness this slaughter.

The Tide rolls on, Irish fans still sing, in the rooms of their suburban McMansions. Old Michigan steams when Meyer crushes their dreams, or Dantonio sticks yet another fork in. And farther below on the South Bend of the St. Joe, ND takes recruits Catholic schools send her. And the fans all go as the writers all know, with a November collapse to remember.

In old Sorin Hall in South Bend they prayed, across from what was a Cathedral. The church bells chimed till they rang hundreds of times for each fade prayer that ended unanswered. The legend lives on from CMU Chippewas on down of the the coach that we’ve branded Air Kelly. He’s stubborn, they say, and never gives up his fades when November teams get behind early.

Dayum
by Chuck84  (2018-10-17 11:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just really like that.

Song bugs the stuffing out of me, but I like this a lot. *
by 1NDGal  (2018-10-17 11:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great job. It almost writes itself! Well done! *
by Notra_Dahm  (2018-10-17 10:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone here with a passable singing voice needs to record
by potatohouse  (2018-10-17 10:15:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this version. Send it to Board OPS and have it disseminated to the masses.

This would be the ultimate Go-To anthem for that annual Saturday 4th quarter where it all falls apart. The idea of my wife coming into the living room, tripping over an empty bottle of Jim Beam, and asking why I am "swaying and slurring loudly to some fucked up version of the Edmund Fitzgerald" makes the imagined loss actually seem a lot less unpleasant.

I once slurred my way through it after a Surreal McCoys show
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-10-17 11:22:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I get the time this weekend I may take on this task.

I'm a little confused. Which task are you referring to?
by potatohouse  (2018-10-17 11:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going to a concert, getting hammered, and trying to sing afterwards or recording ndhouston's Weird Al-Tier parody for all to enjoy?

Or both?

I stumbled through four years of the ND Glee Club
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-17 11:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are a ton of recording studios out here, but I don't know how to get into any of them.

Bravo *
by pobrien  (2018-10-17 10:07:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done sir ... I just hope there isn't an '18 sequel. *
by Seamus  (2018-10-17 09:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very good *
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-10-17 09:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outstanding
by El Kabong  (2018-10-17 09:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you make this a thread of its own so I can HOF it?

This is really good. Bravo. *
by Twinkie the Kid  (2018-10-17 08:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, that's awesome
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-10-17 08:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ewill is right, but I like your version much better.

Well done! *
by akaRonMexico  (2018-10-17 08:21:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have a gift. Kudos, well done. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-10-17 07:37:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent! *
by Irish88  (2018-10-17 06:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At 11pm the DC came on deck sayin’ fellas...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2018-10-16 23:45:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...it’s been good to coach ya’.

I may have to do the whole song.

BK's teams generally recede as the season lengthens...... *
by Wolfetone  (2018-10-16 21:07:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He deserves good and bad equally. ‘12, ‘14,’15,’17 and now
by SEE  (2018-10-16 19:51:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

‘18 we’ve been at least in position at the midway point.

As posted many times. This is a talented team. Probably more talented than ‘12 all around.

But all that’s table stakes in this game.