I did not say he was merely one of their lawyers.
by Bruno95 (2018-12-11 10:06:39)
Edited on 2018-12-11 10:07:11

In reply to: I think you understate Swarbrick's involvement  posted by ACross

I said he was described as their chief counsel. My understanding is he served as an outside GC for an organization that had no in-house lawyer.

The Indy Star looked into this very question and reached out to Swarbrick. I am not sure why the outside general counsel would "move in and out" of working with his client.

In written responses to questions submitted by IndyStar, Swarbrick, who also was chairman of the Indiana Sports Corp from 1992 to 2001, declined to answer specific questions about his advice to the organization, citing attorney-client privilege. But he did discuss his role generally. He also declined an IndyStar request for an interview in 2016 on the subject.

The issue has sparked message-board discussion, including this comment from ndnation.com: "The core questions are, what did Swarbrick know and what did he do in response to that knowledge?"

Before becoming Notre Dame's athletic director in 2008, Swarbrick played important roles in bringing the NCAA headquarters to Indianapolis and in attracting the Super Bowl to Indianapolis in 2012. He also helped run the 1987 Pan American Games.

Swarbrick characterized his former firm, then called Baker & Daniels, as the entity representing USA Gymnastics and giving advice. He described himself as someone who moved in and out of working with the organization from 1984 to 2008.

Replies: