FEI projecting Clemson 27, Notre Dame 23.
by G.K.Chesterton (2018-12-11 22:59:11)
Edited on 2018-12-12 08:18:02

Clemson given a 62% chance of winning, oddly with the best chance of a "strong win" (17-24 pt margin) for Clemson out of eight possible scenarios, followed by a "narrow win" (1-8 pt margin) for Notre Dame.

Note that FEI projections were very close for Alabama-Georgia and Oklahoma-Texas but certainly incorrect for others. FEI has Alabama beating Oklahoma 43-29.

The link shows all projections for all teams this year, so you can search on Notre Dame and see how close or how far off it was for each game.

EDIT: Fixed Georgia reference.

S&P+ has it as Clemson 30 ND 22. So the two most common
by jimmypop  (2018-12-12 09:40:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

predicting models are pretty darn close. I know the people who do S&P+ use it for predicting against the spread for gambling and has hit at about 53% on the season.

ESPN FPI has Clemson winning by 8 points as a 71% favorite.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-12 13:41:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only five bowl games have more likely winners.

Isn't 53% just a bit better than a coin flip? *
by KevinPS  (2018-12-12 13:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For ATS calls, it's actually pretty decent.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-12 13:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's pretty hard to consistently get above a 53% win rate against the spread. Vegas is very sharp on that stuff.

Ah, got it. Thanks. *
by KevinPS  (2018-12-12 15:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

S&P+ results just show how hard making predictions can be
by ndzippy  (2018-12-12 10:57:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The link below contains S&P+ results (against the spread, and vs. the over/under), by week, for the 2018 season.

The S&P+ model is pretty damned advanced, and it was built by people who know an awful lot about football. And, still, its predictions are correct just over half of the time.

In its best week, the model went 34-20 (63% winning percentage). If you bet $100 on all 54 games, you'd make a profit of about 26% ($1400).

In its worst week, the model went 27-33-1 (45% winning percentage). If you bet $100 on all 61 games, you'd lose $600 (-10% for the week).

I'm surprised there aren't more dramatic peaks & valleys on a week-to-week basis. Regardless, my top take-away is that trying to predict college football results is a fool's errand.

Thus, the Irish +11 is a lock. *
by Sayitoutloud  (2018-12-12 09:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sagarin has Clemson by 11.73 points
by ndzippy  (2018-12-12 10:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Backdoor cover with a late TD?

Correct me if I'm wrong
by RallyingSon  (2018-12-12 11:13:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I think his "recent" model predicts a closer game. ND's strength in computer ratings is being held down partly by the closeness of the scores against Vanderbilt and Ball State.

Normally I would say there's no reason to exclude games like that. But in this case they happened before a quarterback change that made quite a difference for the offense.

We don't get to have it both ways
by HTownND  (2018-12-12 12:55:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our best win, against Michigan, was with Wimbush as the starting QB too.

For the purpose of these statistical models
by DakotaDomer  (2018-12-12 17:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Syracuse or Northwestern might be considered better wins than Michigan.

Because they overvalue home/away and overvalue point spread.

I wouldn’t use that as the “can’t have it both ways” point
by revressbo  (2018-12-12 13:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If anything, people could (probably reasonably) argue that we would’ve beaten Michigan by more with Book and Dex.

I think the “can’t have it both ways” is more applicable to people looking at the close A&M/Syracuse results for Clemson while not factoring in Lawrence wasn’t the QB for most of those games, yet still claiming Vandy/Ball State as flukes because of no Book.

You're right...I just didn't want to confuse things
by ndzippy  (2018-12-12 12:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sagarin's model is pretty complicated, with four different predictors. I went with the "RATING" factor because it's a (in his words) "synthesis of the three different SCORE-BASED methods".

A more accurate statement would have been, "Sagarin's model has Clemson by 4.24-12.41 points".

Lead pipe cinch *
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-12-12 10:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post