K-State alum, from a town (Salina) that is relatively close,
by bleedsgreen04 (2018-12-12 11:15:23)
Edited on 2018-12-12 11:17:41

In reply to: They thought Venables would come home.  posted by SavageDragon

I think that if he ever actually wants a head coaching job, he'll come to KSU. But he's not going to go there right now for 3 reasons:

1. Don't be the guy that follows a legend. Really I pretty much hold Snyder in the same category as a coach like Mike Brey, but KSU fans hold him a lot higher just simply because KSU was so bad for song long: they never had Digger Phelps days for football. So to them he is a legend.

2. Bill Snyder's recruiting has been terrible even by his own rather poor standards lately. Venables would be a lot better off letting someone else come in for a few years and inject a little bit of new life into the program via recruiting and then come over.

3. As you mentioned, he is putting at least one kid through college right now at Clemson and will want to coach him.

I think almost all of the more reasonable KSU fans are aware of these two factors, and I know quite a couple that knew Venables personally and don't want him around due to personality quirks. They're not real thrilled with this hire just simply because they don't think he has a system that will work for at least a few years. But I think they need to recognize that it's going to take a while to bring things around, particularly when KSU is in the basement of Big 12 recruiting, a conference that already is not replete with a ton of great athletes outside of Texas just due to geography.

Replies: