Need rec for place to watch the game in Napa
by HoundDog1973 (2018-12-12 15:47:36)

I am asking for my daughter (ND '11) who will be with her husband and mother-in-law visiting Napa when the Cotton Bowl will be played. They are staying in St. Helena and don't want to watch the game in their hotel room, and they are willing to go anywhere in Napa Valley. Basically they want a place with good TV's that will probably have the sound on. Thanks for all recommendations.

It's a bit far but
by enginerd194  (2018-12-13 18:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the complete southern end of the valley, by the crusher statue just north of the southern crossing, is the meritage resort. One of the bars there is run by my friend's ND grad school classmate called Trinitas Cellars. The game will definitely be on there.

I would consider driving into Santa Rosa *
by dulac89  (2018-12-13 16:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Santa Rosa is not that close
by Tjmc  (2018-12-16 18:42:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d advise against coming all the way to Santa Rosa just for a game watch. I’m actually in Santa Rosa now, although I live a few miles north. Santa Rosa is not particularly close to St. Helena or Napa. Unless they want to check out the new Russian River tasting room or have the mega sports bar experience @ Victory House, there are plenty of decent options in Napa County, which will save a lot of windshield time. My $0.02.

I haven't been there much
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 10:48:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I was also thinking about Calistoga.

I've only been to go to Chateau Montelena, but it's fairly close to St. Helena, and it seemed like there might be a few places with the game on.

That said, I've never stayed in Mt Helena, just drove through, but it appeared there may be places to watch the game as well, that isn't just a wine bar. I seem to remember some nice restaurants that had very good bar setups throughout that northern Napa Valley area.

Forget Napa, watch it at Auto Zone or O'Reilly Auto Parts. *
by ArasEra  (2018-12-13 16:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Downtown Joe’s might be a spot. Ive never watched a game
by CAFB4ND  (2018-12-13 12:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there but IIRC they have TV’s. Can’t speak to the food but good beers and right on the river. It’s also sort of centrally located in downtown Napa so it’s easy to walk anywhere else that they may want to go. Bounty hunter is next door and has an extensive whiskey list but I don’t think you’d be able to watch the game there.

Did you grow up there or move there later?
by 84david  (2018-12-13 16:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I grew up in Napa and went to Vintage High.

Go Crushers! *
by enginerd194  (2018-12-13 18:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very good. We had USC's fight song. That sucked. *
by 84david  (2018-12-14 09:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It still does *
by enginerd194  (2018-12-15 08:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moved to Petaluma almost 5 years ago. I grew up in a DC
by CAFB4ND  (2018-12-13 18:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

suburb. My bride took a job out here but it works for me to be based at SFO. Napa is always a nice little day trip (or Uber ride for a big night!)

Assuming they don't want to mix with riff raff
by mitquinn  (2018-12-13 10:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll have to head south into the main downtown for Napa Sport Steakhouse.

The other places will be rubbing shoulders with the local underbelly. (Pancha's in Yountville and Stones in Napa).

Say hi to Rory! *
by enginerd194  (2018-12-13 19:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Norman Rose Tavern *
by HankBass  (2018-12-13 02:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ana’s Cantina is a great spot.
by Tjmc  (2018-12-12 16:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just checked. They’ll have the game on. 1205 Main Street, St. Helena.
And they serve my beer if you care to try it! I’ll be visiting my own in-laws in St. Louis, or I’d offer to buy the group a round.
Happy Holidays to you and yours.

There's an Irish pub in Sonoma Square
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-12 16:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not Napa, but it's not far.

Oh dear *
by arch_moore  (2018-12-12 20:52:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you insane? *
by ACross  (2018-12-12 17:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there a winery with TVs?
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-13 00:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not in my experience.

Where the OP is to where you recommended is a 100 mile round
by airborneirish  (2018-12-13 12:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trip. Maybe that's "not far" in your book but it is in mine.

I don't have a problem with going to an Irish Pub
by airborneirish  (2018-12-14 13:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anywhere in the world. Apparently Andy does.

Is it 100?
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 07:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have pegged St Helena to Sonoma at closer to 70 miles round trip.

The point stands, that’s a long way to go when there are closer options, but that’s not a 50 mile one way is it?

It's 90-100 depending on route *
by airborneirish  (2018-12-14 13:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's 15 miles.
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:00:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Napa proper, where the boring hotels are, to Sonoma Square where the Irish pub is.

I'm sure there are other options. Absolutely no one had suggested one, so I tossed out something I knew existed because I once stayed down the street from it.

The OP wants to watch a football game some place other than a hotel room. Presumably that would be surrounded by others who want to watch said football game and doesn't involve the stick up the ass wine and cheese crowd, for three hours anyway.

I think the problem was
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 11:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the OP said Napa, they are actually staying in St. Helena, which is pretty far from Napa proper.

"They are staying in St. Helena and don't want to watch the game in their hotel room"

He was using Napa to mean the entire valley, not Napa proper.

And I missed that tidbit.
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't try to help next time.

Well
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 11:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't go that far, but I could see the frustration from your side, you were just trying to be helpful.

Why does it have to be a winery?
by garbageplate  (2018-12-13 10:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are bars and restaurants in the area with televisions that serve wine and non-Irish food.

Did the OP say he wanted wine?
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a football game watch. Presumably he's capable of finding plenty of places to drink wine. I suggested a place I know to exist that shows football games.

He said that his family is visiting Napa
by garbageplate  (2018-12-14 11:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's reasonable to infer that they like wine, or at least that they prefer decent wine to an Irish pub.

As much as Andy can be a snob on these things ...
by Gort  (2018-12-13 00:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think his reaction is based on geography, not beer.