I heard some sportztalk guys wondering if teams would draft
by rockmcd (2019-01-09 16:34:29)

In reply to: If Lawrence could leave, he's be overall #1 this year  posted by eddysorin

him a year early and then just wait a year before he can play. But if I'm not mistaken, that wouldn't be an option because they would relinquish their rights after 1 year and then he'd be eligible for the following year's draft.

Risky if the team doesn’t sign him.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-09 16:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess it would work if the team signs him after the season, but before the next draft. Of course that team would not get any value from the pick during the year following the draft.

I don't think that's even an option.
by rockmcd  (2019-01-09 21:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you are a freshman or sophomore, you are not just ineligible to be signed to a contract, you are ineligible to be drafted by any team.

Lawrence will finish his Sophomore season in January 2020. The next draft would be April 2020. Then he'll finish his Junior season in January 2021. You seem to be suggesting that a team could draft him in April 2020, sign him after he completes his Junior season in January 2021, and get a 3+ month head start on getting him ready to start his rookie season in September 2021.

Based on the rules, I don't think Lawrence can be drafted until April 2021 unless he were granted some kind of special approval that has never been granted before.

"To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early."

I was just speculating without facts.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-09 21:21:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking of a Larry Bird type draft situation. Based on your info, Lawrence would not be eligible to enter the draft until his 3 years have passed.