As I said
by KeoughCharles05 (2019-01-10 10:57:50)
Edited on 2019-01-10 11:03:57

In reply to: Yeah, getting a 350k scholarship to ND  posted by Cards86

I hate the comparison to slavery. I'm not making a direct comparison of slavery.

I'm comparing your paternalistic mindset that you know better than these adults about what's in their best interests, and therefore think it's appropriate to restrict their ability to freely perform labor because you've made the determination that they're not ready for it yet.

That's some real hubris there.

If the scholarships offered by schools are such good values, then they shouldn't have anything to fear from other groups offering to pay the players money directly. And why shouldn't the players be the ones that get to make that choice? Because you don't think they're capable of doing so.

Fair point *
by Cards86  (2019-01-10 12:45:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to commend you for your participation here.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-10 13:56:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think your viewpoint is a common one. In fact, I'd say it is the majority stance.

I'm quite staunchly with Charles on this topic so I disagree with you. But I admire your general attitude in this thread of engaging and accepting alternative takes.

That's all. Enjoy your day.

Eschew "take" as a noun.
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-10 15:18:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was that a good impression? I've been working on it in front of my mirror.

F.
by potatohouse  (2019-01-10 17:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes.

And you yours *
by Cards86  (2019-01-10 14:20:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basketball has plenty of lucrative alternatives
by smithwick  (2019-01-10 12:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the overwhelming majority of high school b-ball players still choose college over the pros abroad. They’re not dumb. The college game holds immense value to the athletes who go that route. College football is much different because there are no alternatives but currently, the Zion Williamson’s of the world have determined that playing college sports nets them more value per year than a multi million dollar contract overseas.

basketball is only one year compared to 3 (for the most part
by jt  (2019-01-10 13:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with that said, I think that you might have stumbled onto something:

by allowing the kids more freedom they come to the rationalization that it is in their best interests (the majority of them anyway) to go to college and stay in school.

Funny how that works. I would argue that the same would be true if you kept the rules the same for football (no pay for play, no extra money for the school) but allowed the kids to profit off of image and likeness. The vast majority wouldn't profit much at all because demand would be low and the vast majority would realize that the real value they're getting is in the education provided and the spotlight they get from being able to compete at the highest stage.

Makes sense to me. *
by smithwick  (2019-01-10 17:49:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post