I didn't realize he missed the '90 Stanford game
by bluengold07 (2019-01-11 10:07:08)

In reply to: I've been saying this about the Rocket for years. Two things  posted by Dillon76

Lou Somogyi mentioned this on their latest podcast - Their three losses in '90

- Stanford, which Rocket missed and Watters fumbled two punts
- Penn State, which he played in the first half with ND up 21-7, got hurt and ND lost 24-21
- Colorado, where his punt return to win the game was called back because of a horseshit flag.

Amazing.

They also beat teams that finished 3, 7, 8, 16, 20 in the
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-11 10:25:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

country, three of those wins coming on the road. As heartbreaking as those losses were I'd take a season like '90 over '18 every time. This year we were two wins away from a title with very little reason to think we could pull it off, in '90 we were three wins away with every reason to think we could do it.

I would say inches away in 1990.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-11 10:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point. The pass at the end of the Stanford game was SO close. PSU was a very close ending. We all know how close the Orange.Bowl was.

The Stanford pass was perfect and was a massive choke
by btd  (2019-01-12 20:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and drop by Brown. It wasn't close. It was flat out a drop.

Kelly's teams are a million miles away from those teams
by irishrock  (2019-01-11 10:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the late 80's and early 90's.

Those teams were smash-mouth, don't take no sh-t from anyone
by Dillon76  (2019-01-11 10:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

type teams. Kelly's teams are more finesse teams which probably explains the blowouts when they play teams like tOSU, Bama and Clemson.

BK has sent some 59 players to the NFL
by irishrock  (2019-01-11 10:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at least that's according to a former Irish player from that era who I had a discussion with yesterday. He's from Moff's era and is not a fan of Kelly. He agreed with my take that ND's a really good bully against teams that don't match up with ND's talent. But once they play a team that is remotely close talent wise...it's a strong possibility that ND will lose and likely be blown out because of coaching.

Rickey Watters
by jt  (2019-01-11 10:12:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all you can do is shake your head.

Exactly. The breaks were beating the boys that day.
by Dillon76  (2019-01-11 11:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was the wind. *
by irishhawk49  (2019-01-11 12:26:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a dropper. [v]
by cujays96  (2019-01-11 10:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post