John Heisler was "let go"?
by bluengold07 (2019-01-11 14:20:47)

John Feinstein just tweeted this out

Today's bad news: Notre Dame has apparently 'let go,' John Heisler--associate AD who has only been at school for FORTY ONE years! John is as good as it gets; should have been AD and now the heinous Jack Swarbrick is apparently trying to save a few bucks by dumping him. Ludicrous.

Maybe we're strapped for cash after the "Klunder Plunder" *
by Reagan84  (2019-01-13 08:32:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't have to like Heisler to hate Saucy. *
by 84david  (2019-01-12 17:01:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll bet Heisler could make a great book out of it *
by meatwhistle  (2019-01-12 16:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"the heinous Jack Swarbrick"
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-11 17:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad somebody said it.

Small man. Ladies glasses. Trendy whiskey.
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-01-11 18:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's not to love?

Heinous Swardickhead is the Jack Welch of College A.D.'s. *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-01-11 17:48:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recall reading that JS makes double what any other AD...
by Scoop80  (2019-01-11 16:30:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

makes. IIRC, he's around $3mm while the other highest-paid ADs are in the $1.5mm range. I believe that LeBlanc is a little under $1.5mm at Duke.

Admittedly, other AD's lack the weather forecasting, paint selection/application, and sartorial selection skills that our AD has. Not every steward of what was once the most iconic FB program can ride the coattails of MLB's most iconic franchise the way that JS did in November.

The one absolute truth that can be uttered about JS is that he makes me dislike LeBlanc a little less w/ each day that JS spends in this job.

I have spoken to John a few times
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-11 16:19:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since I graduated in 1996 as I had an interest in Athletic Admin as I was nearing the end of graduate school. Though I did not end up pursuing that career path, I always encountered a professional person willing to point me in the right direction, help where he could, and indulge my questions.

I found him an exceptionally decent and good person who went out of his way to help an alum who had crazy ideas about joining an SID desk. John even offered to introduce me to the director of the ND intern program, pass my resume along and back my candidacy. He did not know me outside of our 4-6 phone conversations.

Lady glasses can go shit in a hat. He has no honor and if what El K writes is true the manner they did it is deplorable. ND continues to underwhelm in the way they treat people and do their business. Beyond disappointing.

Pretty much like all business in America nowadays. *
by The Flash  (2019-01-11 17:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND claims to “fight for” something different *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-01-11 21:27:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe we should change the sign the players tap to:
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-11 17:51:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play like Everyone Else Today.

Adzillatrons, Jock Jams, Jazz Hands Uniforms every 5 seconds, Roster Management, Boondoggle trips for "partners", revenue whoring night schedules where student athletes are consistently asked to fly cross country and return to school on Sunday, sequestration from the larger student body, etc. etc. etc.

Obviously, all businesses should operate ethically and treat employees with respect but the fact that many don't doesn't mean Notre Dame should just jump in the cesspool while the water is warm. This whole "we are different" canard is a fetid rotting carcass.

It’s sad, but ND is no longer different, I agree.
by skeptic  (2019-01-11 21:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spending decades wanting to be other than what it is and what it was meant to be will tend do that to a university.

POTD *
by Scoop80  (2019-01-11 18:29:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's lousy
by PattyMulligan  (2019-01-11 15:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we've all had bosses like Savvy in the real world, it really sucks.

Yes, I've had more than a few bosses like Swarby. *
by The Flash  (2019-01-11 16:11:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've heard of other cost- saving measures
by StetsonDan  (2019-01-11 15:14:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard stories of other ND departments trying to save money through moves like this. The university is trying to save money because of what it will have to pay on the new Trump endowment tax.

gee hope they don't run out of $ *
by ColoNDFan  (2019-01-11 17:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does this also explain why the University refused to pay
by oneill3b  (2019-01-11 15:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for a real OL coach last year when everyone thought the hire of the BC guy was in the bag? Or was that just a bogus story floated by Kelly to justify hiring his buddy?

Or why they didn't match A&M's offer for Elko, perhaps *
by bluengold07  (2019-01-11 15:48:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's one of the few they were correct on *
by GolfJunkie17  (2019-01-11 18:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They did match A&M's offer. Then Elko got a bigger
by rick  (2019-01-11 16:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offer from A&M and came back to ND to ask to match again and ND said no.

Being sympatico with Feinstein gives me the heebie jeebies *
by El Kabong  (2019-01-11 15:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In this case he's correct. Don't let his basketball
by ACross  (2019-01-11 15:18:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allegiances distract you. I would hope you would edit your post. He is a blind squirrel.

Has nothing to do with that. He's a tool *
by El Kabong  (2019-01-12 00:12:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A story from an Army football player from 1966-1967
by OldIrishFan  (2019-01-12 08:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Army had a good season in 1966 finishing 8-2. They were considering breaking their longstanding policy of not going to a Bowl game that year. Ultimately they stayed home. A guy was developing a book many years later on the season and the subject. He had interviewed numerous players and coaches and had established close relationships with many. Feinstein caught wind of the project after the guy had spent hundreds of hours on the project. He took the research and turned it into a short documentary that CBS turned into a 15 minute segment at an Army-Navy game in the late 90s. He didn’t credit the guy for anything. Feinstein is not well thought of by the Army guys. The project died on the vine after that. Feinstein is a tool alright

He actually likes our basketball program because of Brey
by bluengold07  (2019-01-11 15:47:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But man he can be way off base sometimes. Most of the time.

Feinstein hates Notre Dame....
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-11 17:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only thing he likes is himself...

When the ACC deal was announced, he said ND was the winner. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-11 18:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He solidifies my hatred for Duke.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-11 19:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Me too.
by son of galway  (2019-01-11 15:14:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I feel like I need to shower.

Swarbrick probably wants his own sycophant. *
by thethinman  (2019-01-11 14:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like an “up or out” maneuver
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-11 14:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the president has identified Jack’s interim/permanent successor in the department and want them to take this job for a year or two first.

See below.
by jerseyirish07  (2019-01-11 14:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bonger wrote about this a little while ago.

I applaud the Bonger for not only a well written piece
by jt  (2019-01-11 16:10:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the ability to stay above the fray on this one.

I think John was a freaking Baghdad Bob and I resented all of the manufactured hype that he would use to shine the turd (first ND coach ever with 8 wins in his first 5 seasons! and other like bullshit).

War and peace
by Khaddafi  (2019-01-13 10:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m with Bonger.

As to the Baghdad Bob analogy, sports information and the media business at the university level do not rise to the level of such comparisons/hyperbole.

Is someone supposed to resign instead of supervising the production of pieces that mostly connect fans and families with the exploits of young men and women? Sure, “first back to back shitty bowls in 20 years” is a piss poor set of facts upon which to write like Red Smith.

Yet sometimes, you simply have no alternative but to put lipstick on a pig (see, Charlie Weis, Brian Kelly, et al.) and embrace hope - something other than the reality of more Weis-Ian suckitude.

That’s the deal. It’s neither about war and piece nor criticizing those who were hired by others or with whom you may have private disagreements.

Baghdad Bob is good tag line on a bumper sticker, but it bears no resemblance or relationship to John Heisler the professional or the person who devoted 40+ years to ND.

The targets of our collective madness, frustration and anger remain in charge at the athletic department, the Board of Trustees, the Dome, etc.

sure, I don't wish the guy ill will *
by jt  (2019-01-13 12:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. But if the Golden Goose would actually lay the
by Papa November  (2019-01-11 17:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

occasional egg and take some Imodium, his job would have been a lot easier. And I certainly don't hold anything against the man for doing his job.

well, if you're going to hold water for those kinds of guys
by jt  (2019-01-11 17:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than it is only fitting that they would turn on you at some point as well.

Indeed. *
by Papa November  (2019-01-11 20:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole thing is shameful if true. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-01-11 15:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shameful is a good word. I can think of a few others. *
by doghoused  (2019-01-11 15:09:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Missed it. That really sucks. *
by bluengold07  (2019-01-11 14:31:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't know his accolades, but 4 decades is along time.
by ColoraDomer  (2019-01-11 14:29:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An ironman streak unlike any other, under the Golden Dome, that has spanned nearly four decades.

I asked Senior Notre Dame Associate Athletics Director John Heisler if he was the ironman of Notre Dame Athletics.

“I don’t know about that. I guess when you stay here as long as I have, you see a lot of things over the years, that part has been fun, it’s somewhere 460 football games that I’ve seen in a row. It’s a little scary. That was starting in the ‘79 season and I haven’t missed one since,” said Heisler.

Are they offshoring this magnificent man's job to Asia? *
by The Flash  (2019-01-11 17:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somebody hinted at this here when discussing the Clemson AD
by doghoused  (2019-01-11 14:28:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and his treatment of their SID when he retired.