Asst. Coach RBs: Denson Coaching & Recruiting
by Hickster (2019-01-15 22:04:19)

I wish nothing but the best for Autry Denson for his future career.

I think the world of Denson as the leading rusher in ND history. He was more than an outstanding as a runner, and in his coaxing career he was able to convert slot receivers to very effective RBs at ND...Prosise and Adams.

Denson was not a speed back, so he was able to accomplish his RB results based upon truly understanding how to be an effective/disciplined runner. I still remember the saying during his years at ND, "Denson...Denson...Pass...Punt." I believe he was instrumental in the development of out of position players to be effective RBs...perhaps he was able to effectively interpret what he knew as a running back into the intangibles of over achieving as a running back.

With the results that some of these running backs have been able to accomplish, especially with an offense that was not designed around the running game, I have been surprised with the lack of highly recruited RBs that ND has been able to recruit over the last 4 years.

I hope the next RB coach has the ability to not only develop RBs, but can recruit more RBs that are closer to elite status.

It appears that former coach Alford may be a candidate for the position...but perhaps the current RB coach for TCU may have a good combination of RB development and a familiarity of the Texas and SEC areas to recruit RBs.

What was his recruiting region? *
by weirdo0521  (2019-01-16 15:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are an elite RB why choose ND?
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-16 10:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I get the whole 40 year decision cliche that we tell recruits but they only need to look at our offense and what happens when we get slightly behind or experience any trouble in the run game to know why we are not a first choice option.

Our OL play and our creativity in the run game do not help either. Maybe Denson was not an excellent recruiter but if I had to place a wager I would place my money on the fact that our offense blows choad and not on the recruiter. Elite players want a showcase and what we offer is a vaudeville comedy act when it comes to consistently running the football with a creative and dynamic run game strategy.

Few programs have "bell-cow" backs anymore.
by irishaddict  (2019-01-16 11:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And players are wise to the fact that they don't need a lot of tread on their tires to get drafted (and in fact the NFL might prefer that they not). Alabama, Georgia, OSU and Oklahoma to name a few have been using time shares at the RB position.

ND has been giving their guys plenty of opportunities lately.

B/c you can expect to put up good numbers and run
by NDCuse  (2019-01-16 11:14:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

behind a solid offensive. There are valid complaints about play-calling and commitment to the run, but some less than "elite" RBs recruits have put up solid seasons despite injuries/suspensions.

2018 - Dexter Williams (4-star, #11 RB) 995yds, 6.3ypc, 110.5ypg
2017 - Josh Adams (4-star, #26 RB), 1430yds, 6.9ypc, 110ypg
2016 - Josh Adams, 933yds, 5.9ypc, 77.8ypg
2015 - C.J. Prosise (4-star, #23 Safety), 1029yds, 6.6ypc, 103ypg
Josh Adams, 838yds, 7.2ypc, 69.8ypg

This only shows that elite RBs
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-16 12:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will not consider ND under Kelly, and while teams may not employ a feature back who gets 30 carries a game, none of those stats would convince me to betray what my eyes see; namely, when the going gets tough Kelly's offense is going air raid and our variety of run calls seems to include inside and outside zone 90% of the time. Zero creativity to get me the ball.

Until I see different, I expect us to continue to get high 3 star and low 4 star RBs as the standard commit at the position.

What a cluster 2016 was.
by manofdillon  (2019-01-16 11:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For some reason I had it in my mind that last year was Adams' break-out year. I totally forgot he put up those kind of numbers in 2016. And somehow we only won 4 games?

Thanks, Kelly and BVG.

Didn't Denson recruit McIntosh and CJ Holmes, running backs
by omaharic  (2019-01-16 10:18:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who left ND for various reasons? If both of them were playing next
season, the running back situation would look very different.

Are you blaming him or excusing him? It works both ways... *
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 11:09:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just saying that his past recruiting appears to have been
by omaharic  (2019-01-16 11:32:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

better than the last couple of recruiting cycles.

Adams wasn't a slot receiver.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 08:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I could see why Alford would be on the wish list. But I don't know why he'd be interested in a lateral return unless he really doesn't have confidence in Day.

Well he was interested in a lateral move the first time...
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 11:04:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems evident he is not going to get an OC job (at least not at OSU) so why not come back to a place he liked a lot.

Because learning from a new up-and-comer with Urban's
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 11:31:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

blessing is going to better prepare him to get a job promotion than would be making a second lateral change as a position coach at this level for a head coach who already passed him over.

If he's still looking to move up, returning to ND seems puzzling unless his relationship with Day is strained. Or unless he gets some assurance he'll be considered for an OC job when Long likely leaves soon. Or if he gets a co-coordinator title. But with Quinn on staff, that doesn't seem like an attractive place to advance his career.

That said, if his ambitions have changed and he wants to just settle into a position coach job at a place he likes, then sure it makes sense.

And if he's not going to get the OC job
by manofdillon  (2019-01-16 11:18:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may question his long-term standing on Day's staff. In a situation like this, a new coach will often keep most of the staff in tact for the first year to avoid too much turnover, and then replace guys on the staff with his own guys after a year or two.

Pinkett, Pinkett, Pass (or Pinkett) , Punt
by Ajax  (2019-01-15 23:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is what I am aware of. Never heard this for Denson.

Oops. You're right *
by Hickster  (2019-01-17 15:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 06:52:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a new one

Handoff to Heavens ...
by CJC  (2019-01-15 23:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pitchout to Hunter; incomplete pass and send in the punter.

What comes to mind when I think of Tony Hunter.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-16 00:05:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like how George Connor called it "Knute Rockne Stadium" *
by sprack  (2019-01-16 18:10:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Al Hunter played with Jerome Heavens. Not Tony Hunter * *
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-16 08:58:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awesome Memory! I was there working as a Field Mgr that day!
by Jammer  (2019-01-16 07:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had all the Soph Mgrs set to pick-up the yard markets & pylons when the clock read 0:00- But-
after Harry O’s 51yd kick most reported back that the yard markers & pylons had been carried away by the fans!
Great Day to be Irish!!