Asst. Coach RBs: Denson Coaching & Recruiting
by Hickster (2019-01-15 22:04:19)

I wish nothing but the best for Autry Denson for his future career.

I think the world of Denson as the leading rusher in ND history. He was more than an outstanding as a runner, and in his coaxing career he was able to convert slot receivers to very effective RBs at ND...Prosise and Adams.

Denson was not a speed back, so he was able to accomplish his RB results based upon truly understanding how to be an effective/disciplined runner. I still remember the saying during his years at ND, "Denson...Denson...Pass...Punt." I believe he was instrumental in the development of out of position players to be effective RBs...perhaps he was able to effectively interpret what he knew as a running back into the intangibles of over achieving as a running back.

With the results that some of these running backs have been able to accomplish, especially with an offense that was not designed around the running game, I have been surprised with the lack of highly recruited RBs that ND has been able to recruit over the last 4 years.

I hope the next RB coach has the ability to not only develop RBs, but can recruit more RBs that are closer to elite status.

It appears that former coach Alford may be a candidate for the position...but perhaps the current RB coach for TCU may have a good combination of RB development and a familiarity of the Texas and SEC areas to recruit RBs.

Replies: