Matt LaFleur "Damn that's a nice jump!"
by tmr779 (2019-01-16 11:17:09)

On a winter night in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh thought they were invited to a party at the home of their boss, Central Michigan University football coach Brian Kelly.

Turns out, they weren’t on the guest list.

They were on the worker list.

"We shoveled the snow and parked all the cars," Saleh said. "Then, at the end of the night, we had to go get the cars again."

NFL Rookies sing songs, pick up huge checks
by RJD  (2019-01-16 18:23:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and carry equipment of veterans at camp. Between drinks and eats, these grad assistants shoveled snow and parked cars.

I suppose it depends on whether you like your boss to put up with this type shit or complain about it 10 years later.

This is stolen from "Coming to America" right?
by Otter  (2019-01-16 14:26:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prince Hakeem and Simi going to McDowell's house, thinking they are guests and then parking cars and tending bar?

It's ridiculous that this happened in real life.

That was my thought too
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-17 15:40:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I feel like BK is trying to act like a successful business man with lots of money in the Northeast....except he learned how to act that way from comedy movies.

& caddyshack. “great! how’d you like to mow my lawn?” *
by ndlarryj  (2019-01-16 20:23:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shanty is a huge John Amos fan. *
by Clarence Beeks  (2019-01-16 14:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brian Kelly is a real-life Cleo McDowell? *
by MackerelSnappingAnarchist  (2019-01-16 14:51:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sad to say, this doesn't surprise me *
by PattyMulligan  (2019-01-16 14:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Be wary of helping the boss or his family
by JBrock18  (2019-01-16 13:57:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite scenes

Danny, I'm having a party this weekend.
by Shifty  (2019-01-16 14:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How would you like to come over and mow my lawn?

Minor nit
by ndtuba  (2019-01-16 18:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hizzoner was christening a new sloop instead of throwing a party. I’ve watched that movie way too many times, methinks.

I'm sure this will get shared on social media.
by RallyingSon  (2019-01-16 13:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By all the superfans who, last week, were using LaFleur's new job as proof that Brian Kelly is a world-class mentor.

The guy that Kelly never promoted has risen to heights
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 13:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that no one else in his tree has climbed. Classic example of mentorship.

Good grief, it's the opening paragraph of a major story. BK
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-16 13:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Savvy must be ready to kill.

The truth will out, guys. Chickens and whatnot.

Just the start of what will be a very bad 2019 for Jack?

I found the following quote from Saleh quite interesting:
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-16 13:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"We decided that when we’re in that position, we’re never going to treat people the way we got treated," said Saleh, now the San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator.

I'd be curious to see a full transcript of Saleh's interview
by Tex Francisco  (2019-01-16 13:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and see how close those two quotes actually occurred relative to one another. While I certainly don't put this level of d-baggery past BK, I also don't put it past the author of the article to be incompetent and/or duplicitous. I think it's possible the quote about treating people was not made directly related to that incident at BK's house.

I'll never forget watching Harbaugh interviewed after winning the Orange Bowl with Stanford. He was asked about how far his team had come and he gave this long spiel about his team's commitment to and respect for the process. One of the major CFB sports writers (Brett McMurphy I think) then took that quote and presented it as if Harbaugh had said that about his job search/rumors and that people need to respect the process. I never had a ton of respect for sports journalists before that, but that's when it really hit me how stupid and dishonest many of them really are.

You have lost your mind *
by ACross  (2019-01-16 13:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My ND roommate had a similar story once
by sprack  (2019-01-16 13:00:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His first year at his firm, he and another guy were invited to what was supposedly a barbecue at a partner's house. But the barbecue, such as it was, was only after they rototilled his back yard. On a 95 degree day. And they were the only two guys there.

I hope he quit *
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-16 14:12:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, in fact he's still there
by sprack  (2019-01-16 14:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And is now one of the partners himself.

Put it this way, they never accepted another invitation to a "barbecue" at that guy's house ever again.

Well let's just hope he hasn't been throwing "BBQs" too *
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 15:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they can't do that to our assistant coaches
by irishrock  (2019-01-16 12:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only we can do that to our assistant coaches

Brian Kelly's coaching tree continues to grow *
by DBCooper  (2019-01-16 11:50:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

odd how they mention Shanahan so much during the article
by jt  (2019-01-16 12:29:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and yet no word from the coach that really gave the guy his start.

Unless they just assume Shanahan is the guy that gave him his start.

Soon to be taking credit for Rodgers' HOF career. *
by CJC  (2019-01-16 12:08:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What’s wrong with forcing young subordinates to do personal
by ACross  (2019-01-16 11:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Work in off hours? It’s no worse than firing old guys because you can hire young guys for cheaper. And then you can tell this guy or that to consume various quantities of bags of dicks, and reference former quarterbacks who fell into disfavor vis a vis Brian Kelly. After all, some here were critical of some of the things Heisler was trotted out to say over the years, so therefore of course we must have believed he was just as evil others believed that Dayne Crist was.

After all, one should defend Swarbrick and Kelly, no matter how ridiculous their conduct may be.

Douche *
by Fifthhorseman  (2019-01-18 00:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not 1947 anymore, AHole. *
by Cash  (2019-01-16 14:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Similar problem as forcing them during working hours
by squid  (2019-01-16 12:53:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to do personal work.

people who have a problem with this just hate the pass
by jt  (2019-01-16 12:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

spread offense and are trying to find reasons to turn people against Kelly. It's the same type of stuff as people who were pissed when Kelly physically assaulted......errrr.......shoved......errrrr.....removed Grimes from getting a personal foul call. I mean, that's football right there.

Sounds like the most reasonable corner of the Internet. *
by Bruno95  (2019-01-16 11:57:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also the darkest corner, where Jenkins sits, and likes it. *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-01-17 13:03:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How'd you like to come over and mow my lawn? *
by bluengold07  (2019-01-16 11:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Vile
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 11:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If only we had won more.

You must not like the spread either.

"We're never going to treat people the way we got treated."
by FL_Irish  (2019-01-16 11:21:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With their treatment at the hands of Brian Kelly as the primary example.

Awesome.

I hope my bona fides ...
by CJC  (2019-01-16 11:51:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a "Kelly Hater" are beyond question (I don't hate him, of course).

But I'll note that LaFleur's night as a car jockey/snow shoveler didn't keep him from signing up for another tour of duty with Kelly.

And I'm not condoning Kelly's "use" of his assistants in the story at issue.

We all know coaching is a wacky, incestous profession
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 14:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's much more likely that he went back to work for Kelly because it was the best option to advance his career at the time than it was out of any sense of loyalty, duty, or desire.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 16:31:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had just been fired and Kelly had an opening at the QB spot because of Denbrock's promotion following Chuck Martin taking his talents (and running game) to Oxford, OH.

Throw in the fact that Shanahan hadn't landed anywhere and had a few options, but ultimately settled in ATL (where LaFleur immediately went) and it all makes a lot more sense.

Agreed. Just made that observation to HTown. *
by CJC  (2019-01-16 14:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the same thing
by bmoreirish  (2019-01-16 14:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have been an obvious follow up question from the reporter.

He hated Kelly so much he went to work for him again. *
by BigNDfan  (2019-01-16 13:58:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jesus, Mary and Joseph
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 14:22:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where has anyone suggested that LaFleur hated Kelly?

As for working for him again, it was interesting, when you read the article. Once the Redskins staff was all let go, he came to ND.

Shanahan ended up in Cleveland, for one season, before going to Atlanta, and bringing LaFleur back into the fold.

"And then after that, after we all got fired, he went to Notre Dame for a year, I went to Cleveland. It was really my only year without him. Once I got out of there and went to Atlanta, I knew I was going to bring him back right away."

If you dig into it some more, Shanahan was hired by Pettine when he became the new HC of the Browns. Shanahan interviewed with the Ravens and Dolphins as well. It was announced in early February.

LaFleur was announced as a hire at ND earlier

LaFleur hired by ND Article

Seems like Shanahan wasn't sure where he was going after being fired on 12/30, and so LaFleur grabbed the job at ND, which he left as soon as Shanahan found stability again in Atlanta the following year.

From the ND side. Chuck Martin became the HC at Miami(OH) in early December following the 2013 season (along with Diaco and some other changes). First, Denbrock was promoted to be the OC for Chuck Martin during the bowl game.

Keith Arnold article about options

Slap the Sign Article

Basically Kelly decided, after the bowl game to promote Denbrock and created the need for a QB coach (after he did it for the bowl).

LaFleur became an option 2 days after the ND bowl game.

None of that suggests LaFleur hates Kelly. It still doesn't make the behavior OK either, but I think LaFleur's quick tenure at ND and the quotes from Shanahan were instructive.

Well ...
by CJC  (2019-01-16 14:26:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I said I "hated" Kelly, not that LaFleur did.

Let me make a point I decided not to make in my original post.

Given the enormous challenge it is to work your way up the coaching ranks, and given the perceived status of working at Notre Dame (at least in the eyes of some, yet), I can certainly understand why a young coach might hold his nose and come to work for a guy for whom he didn't have the utmost respect.

I suppose I'd land on, "It was crappy, but not crappy enough to keep LaFleur from working again for Kelly in the interest of advancing his career."

Which is an idiotic standard. *
by FL_Irish  (2019-01-16 14:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the same thing *
by JC  (2019-01-16 12:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah the post buried the lead there. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 11:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its ok, that was Kelly 1.0 *
by elterrible  (2019-01-16 11:26:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nit
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 11:26:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's bury the lede.

I'm not changing the spelling of a word that means the same
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 11:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

thing as what the normal word means because it's industry jargon.

It's not just industry jargon
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 11:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The MLA agrees.

Like I said, it's a nit.

I'm happy to be corrected ...
by CJC  (2019-01-16 11:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I never saw the word spelled "lede" 40 years ago -- not in high school journalism classes, not at The Observer, not working for local newspapers and not as an intern and stringer for the Chicago Tribune.

That's how my daughter spells it, so I have no doubt that it's now the standard in newsrooms and elsewhere.

But I'm pretty sure it's a relatively recently development.

I think it's a back formation...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-01-16 13:14:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...OED Online has "lede" in two senses. The first defines it as an Old English term attested to the year 951 meaning "people," and cognate with the modern German Leute (and all kinds of Old Norse, Old Saxon, Old Church Slavonic, and Old This-n-That languages from the central and northern areas of Europe).

The second sense defines it as we are discussing in this thread, and attests it back to 1951:

1951 Pampa (Texas) Daily News 21 June 17/2 "Lead (Lede)—Opening of a news story, ordinarily summarizing the rest of it."

The next attestation is in WaPo in 1979. My gut feeling is that I became aware of it in the 80s, not because I was working at an academic publication but just from seeing it here and there in print. At any rate, the 1951 appearance in a rather non-mainstream Texas newspaper suggests that the term used in our sense wasn't actually invented by Linotype sentimentalists in the 1970s, though they may have expanded its frequency.

Looks like you are correct (link)
by elterrible  (2019-01-16 12:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

TIL Bob Ross's hair was actually straight. *
by OldManBass  (2019-01-16 13:00:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 12:32:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is inside baseball jargon.

I've been told it's to trigger spell check.
by harmonica  (2019-01-16 12:21:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So that would make sense.

I also use I-A and I-AA.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-16 11:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I don't refer to the AAC as a Power 6 conference.

Generally both spellings were introduced and accepted in journalism courses, frequently introduced as something to the effect of the "lead, or, commonly, lede." And I eschewed the jargon as frivolous. That jargon is certainly the most commonly used spelling in the industry.

The Observer would be ashamed. *
by someguy  (2019-01-16 11:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post