Jesus, Mary and Joseph
by HTownND (2019-01-16 14:22:39)

In reply to: He hated Kelly so much he went to work for him again. *  posted by BigNDfan

Where has anyone suggested that LaFleur hated Kelly?

As for working for him again, it was interesting, when you read the article. Once the Redskins staff was all let go, he came to ND.

Shanahan ended up in Cleveland, for one season, before going to Atlanta, and bringing LaFleur back into the fold.

"And then after that, after we all got fired, he went to Notre Dame for a year, I went to Cleveland. It was really my only year without him. Once I got out of there and went to Atlanta, I knew I was going to bring him back right away."

If you dig into it some more, Shanahan was hired by Pettine when he became the new HC of the Browns. Shanahan interviewed with the Ravens and Dolphins as well. It was announced in early February.

LaFleur was announced as a hire at ND earlier

LaFleur hired by ND Article

Seems like Shanahan wasn't sure where he was going after being fired on 12/30, and so LaFleur grabbed the job at ND, which he left as soon as Shanahan found stability again in Atlanta the following year.

From the ND side. Chuck Martin became the HC at Miami(OH) in early December following the 2013 season (along with Diaco and some other changes). First, Denbrock was promoted to be the OC for Chuck Martin during the bowl game.

Keith Arnold article about options

Slap the Sign Article

Basically Kelly decided, after the bowl game to promote Denbrock and created the need for a QB coach (after he did it for the bowl).

LaFleur became an option 2 days after the ND bowl game.

None of that suggests LaFleur hates Kelly. It still doesn't make the behavior OK either, but I think LaFleur's quick tenure at ND and the quotes from Shanahan were instructive.

Replies: