ACC football schedule released. ND done no favors.
by irishcane (2019-01-16 14:38:45)
Edited on 2019-01-16 14:53:29

5 opponents. Louisville opens with ND on Labor Day night. UVA plays Old Dominion before ND on 9/28. VT, Duke and BC given byes before their games against the Irish. Great partner.

*edited to note that no ACC team had a bye before ND in 2018.

"Panic" about a loss isn't the point
by UpperEastSideIrish  (2019-01-17 16:49:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have to make sure that we are getting a fair shake in terms of the ACC deal. I would argue that the financial arrangements and the affect the ACC has had on basketball have been fair to overwhelmingly positive for us.

But this is an example where the conference doesn't seem to be treating us right, and that's not good for the arrangement. I doubt that the ACC would do this to any conference member.

As a ref, I hate to say this, but I also feel like we're not getting the best deal there either. I would never think anyone is throwing a game, or showing favoritism, but sometimes when you've been in a conference and you've seen the same locker rooms, seeing the same coaches and same people at meetings - well, that familiarity might affect you in a way you don't even realize. ACC officials probably seen ND half as much as other schools in the league. Don't think it doesn't matter because it just may. Simply put, too many big calls have gone against Notre Dame. The Pitt game this year was an embarrassment.

I'm not "scared" of playing someone coming off a bye, but don't be surprised if this catches up with us in a bad loss. Jack should have a talk with the conference about this. It shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

We're not getting a fair shake, never will, and shouldn't
by LuckyMcD  (2019-01-18 17:41:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conferences exist for one reason, to support their members. The ACC is protecting the ACC members. It's what it is meant to do. Yes there are extenuating circumstances, but I don't know why anyone would expect anything different. We put ourselves in this situation, and we have no leverage at this point.

Perhaps UVA or VT gets Shamrocked to DC? *
by rfk  (2019-01-17 15:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick already said no Shamrock next year *
by gordonbombay  (2019-01-18 14:48:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the exception of Clemson, ND should
by cujays96  (2019-01-17 00:08:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

never fear playing an ACC opponent.

Sign of the times.
by BeijingIrish  (2019-01-16 20:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did I ever think I would live to see the day when ND fans or alums would fret about anything related to the ACC--teams, players, anything at all? Of course, the answer is no, but I am constantly surprised.

Really, men, who gives a shit about these people. Duke? BC? It would be a great day if a giant earthquake or Godzilla destroyed every ACC campus.

There will never be a day when the 5 game ACC slate
by ACross  (2019-01-16 20:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is anything but a suckhole. Even a game against Clemson is a dud.

We need more games against Iowa Pre-Flight.
by pmac98  (2019-01-17 11:42:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harrumph!

You lost me at "even a game against Clemson is a dud."
by oneill3b  (2019-01-17 10:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Batty.

We need more games against the dregs of the Big Ten
by smithwick  (2019-01-17 12:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with teams that feature heavy use of the fullback.

I would be much more inclined to travel to Madison
by ACross  (2019-01-17 14:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bloomington, Iowa City, and/or Minneapolis than Clemson, SC, that's for sure.

So, you prefer trendy wine lists to championship level...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-01-17 19:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

football?

Muffy, I’m shocked.

Trendy wine lists in Madison?
by ACross  (2019-01-17 21:39:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps at L’Etoile.

If you know anything about my taste in wine, it is anything but trendy.

Clemson a dud? What’s your perfect
by dfcirish  (2019-01-17 08:22:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

schedule then doofus?

It’s a dud.
by vaughnspub  (2019-01-17 10:18:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because until proven otherwise, we’ll get our asses handed to us.

Have we slipped so far we are panic stricken playing ACC? *
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-16 18:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not panic, that's a "He Hate Me" victim mentality. *
by rockmcd  (2019-01-16 19:20:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he hate me was never a victim
by gozer  (2019-01-16 23:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not even when "I hate he" and "I hate he too" tried to horn in on his schtick

I fear the Hokiebirds of Virginia Tech *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-01-16 19:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do Hokies have big talons? *
by dbldomer7375  (2019-01-17 07:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2019 will be a unique season with 2 byes for every team.
by rockmcd  (2019-01-16 18:23:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's just a quirk of how the calendar works out with 5 Saturdays in November. If this same schedule happened in any other year, teams like BC and Duke probably would not elect to take their lone bye week in November.

Someone else suggested Clemson might do this in 2020. If they do, then they'll be taking it on Halloween, so unless they play a "week zero" game, then they'll have to play 8 consecutive weeks before their bye, with only 4 games remaining. Given how weak their schedule is, they might just do that but it won't be the ideal time for them to take a bye.

We are off the week before New Mexico and Michigan.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-16 23:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's odd we are off right after opening against Louisville. It would have been better to have another off week later in the year.

It's because the Louisville opener is on Labor Day Monday.
by rockmcd  (2019-01-17 01:46:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the one hand, they ought to be able to handle New Mexico even if they played the game 15 minutes after the Louisville game ends.

On the other hand, playing on a Saturday after a Monday night road game, with only 4 off days in between is not a normal routine for any football team. Having extra time to self-scout, teach, and make adjustments after so many players have their first significant playing time under the bright lights is probably beneficial.

The most ideal thing would have been for ND to tell the TV people to pound sand on the Monday night offer, play their layup game on 9/7, and then take their first bye week ahead of the Georgia game. But if we're going to criticize the ACC teams for strategically scheduling their bye weeks, and criticize ND fans for getting upset about that, then I guess we shouldn't lose too much sleep over ND missing an opportunity to do the same.

Our home and ACC slate is wanting
by HTownND  (2019-01-16 17:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank god for the OOC stuff and trip to Athens.

L'ville, UVA, VT, Duke, BC
by GolfJunkie17  (2019-01-16 16:27:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the makings of a really crappy schedule. ND couldn't get any better match ups out of this arrangement? Those should be blowouts regardless of whom the opponent does or does not play the week before.

ND provides the open dates, the ACC picks the opponents *
by TerryD  (2019-01-17 16:05:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UVA will actually probably be a decent team
by oneill3b  (2019-01-16 16:40:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

VT will be significantly improved as well. The rest should pretty much stink next year. BC always has a tough defense but they lose their elite DE.

VT Sucks.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-01-16 16:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So does the rest of that scrapheap.

We ought to be . . . .
by The Flash  (2019-01-16 16:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . smacking down all of those clubs by 21 points at halftime.

Even if we win all of those games, we won't beat the spread *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-01-17 10:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree. By the end of Q1. *
by Homeboy73  (2019-01-16 18:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not exactly murderer's row. Move along.... *
by njdoubledomer  (2019-01-16 15:45:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Years ago, Saban complained about this for SEC teams.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-16 15:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Multiple teams had byes before playing Alabama. He complained publicly and the SEC changed the policy. Now LSU and Alabama have a bye before playing each other.

With that said, I don’t think it is worth complaining about VT, BC, or Duke. If ND had a savvy AD, he would work behind the scenes to make sure this isn’t a recurring practice. I’ll be irritated if Clemson has a bye before they visit ND. IIRC, they were off before ND played there in 2015.

You're right about Clemson
by Flanner89  (2019-01-16 17:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I looked at the 2015 schedules. They played a Thursday night game and then had 16 days off before hosting us.

Probably spent 13 of those 16 days prepping for Bama *
by athlete37  (2019-01-16 18:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nicely done *
by ndzippy  (2019-01-16 19:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could have just listed the opponents and indicated....
by Marine Domer  (2019-01-16 15:42:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they did us know favors. That's a pretty craptastic slate.

oy vey *
by 84david  (2019-01-16 15:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who gives a crap about BC's and Duke's opponents?
by ACross  (2019-01-16 14:47:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dear Lord.

Agreed *
by oldtownirish  (2019-01-16 14:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yea but those teams largely suck, so... *
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-16 14:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we have to worry who those teams play before us
by Beaknd  (2019-01-16 14:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

God help us all.