Sure. It was a rebuilding year any way you cut it.
by rockmcd (2019-01-22 13:52:10)

In reply to: a good coach would have won 6-8 games in 07  posted by jt

Ty is certainly responsible for the lack of talent in the recruiting classes that became JRs and SRs in the 2007 season. That's supposed to be the core of the team, and that core was rotten. I don't hold Weis (with his Patriots obligations) accountable for not doing more to salvage the recruiting class that signed 2 months after he was hired. That's just so late in the process. I doubt it would have made much of a difference if he or some other coach would have been able to take over full time on day 1. Weis could have done more to polish that turd over the next 2 years and gotten more production out of them by the time 2007 came around.... but it really was a turd.

However, Weis is responsible for getting very little production out of his first full recruiting class, who were Sophomores in 2007. That was a pretty highly rated class but there were lots of transfers and lack of development from the guys who stayed. I think Sam Young and Eric Olsen were the only guys drafted, and they both went very late.

In the bigger picture, it wasn't really going to matter what their record was in 2007. The 3-9 record would have been forgiven as an explainable blip if Weis had got the team back on track by 2009. But that obviously didn't happen. In hindsight, Weis's lack of experience at the college level made him ill equipped to handle the rebuilding job that needed to be happening behind the scenes at the scout team level and in the weight room during the 2005 and 2006 seasons.