To add onto the Meyer point.
by tdiddy07 (2019-01-22 17:24:57)
Edited on 2019-01-22 17:25:45

In reply to: Sending a second TB in the slot is not uncommon.  posted by tdiddy07

I originally typed this in response to jt, but it looked like jt deleted the response about how Holtz used Rocket. Nevertheless, just like Holtz would motion Rocket to the backfield, Meyer used Harvin similarly. And so did the Seahawks, including motioning him into the backfield pre-snap. Ohio State under Meyer has used pre-snap motion of WRs both to settle in the backfield and to hit jet sweeps.

Our 2015 offense also effectively used jet sweep, in part to make up for deficiencies in third and short running. Stanford in particular was a game where we set up runs up the middle against jet sweep motion earlier in the game. Then on third or fourth and short on our final drive in Stanford territory, we hit the jet sweep to cut it off the tackle for a first down. That stands out because I figured it would be the play call since it had been set up before without being run.

And to follow up on jt's point elsewhere, the jet sweep concept isn't all that different from what you'd see the academies do or when we'd see Bob Davie motion an end around to soften up the middle of the defense and run it up the gut to a tailback. I recall him running the same play for big gains like 3 or 4 times in 2001 against Michigan State I think.

But today, modern offenses use the same principles of establishing secondary running threats. Including, as jt noted from the beginning, from the slot.

Replies: