Somebody was willing to pay Cam Newton's dad
by TWO (2019-02-05 14:07:46)

In reply to: Yes, there's just an endless supply of boosters willing to  posted by jt

80K, so I think there are more than a few of those guys out there. I'm not saying millions of dollars but I'll bet Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields could have gotten at least what Cam got from Clemson or Georgia Boosters.

you're making my point
by jt  (2019-02-05 15:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a few kids would undoubtedly profit.

the vast majority would not. There are a lot more Bryce Givins than there are Cam Newton's.

If the top 5%-10% are able to make a decent amount of money off of the deal, more power to them.

Exactly. Cam Newton.
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-02-05 14:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cam Newton, future NFL rookie of the year, NFL MVP, three time pro-bowler, and QB who elevated Auburn to a national title, was thought by his own father to be worth between $100K-$180K after already having played some D1 football. No evidence was ever found that any school or booster agreed to that sum.

The idea that there's millions of dollars out there for your random players is silly. Your local car dealer boosters aren't going to have the kind of cash necessary to have the kind of corruption people are afraid of, and the big companies like Nike aren't emotionally invested enough/financially stupid enough to shower game-changing amounts of money on unproven players.