yeah, there are so many people excited to spend money
by jt (2019-02-05 15:06:05)

In reply to: Wouldn't this increase the supply of payers?  posted by rockmcd

on players that might not even play.

There is almost an endless supply of guys that won't even donate $50 to rid themselves of ads on the website ready to sign up for a go fund me account!

Who said anything about guys who might not play?
by rockmcd  (2019-02-05 15:14:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My reference to a fullback was a joke. We all know that fullbacks don't play at ND.

I could definitely see SEC fans zealously setting up GoFundMe accounts or doing other similar things for current players and/or recruits if it became legal to do so.

hey, if people are stupid and want to waste their money
by jt  (2019-02-05 15:15:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's life in the big city.

My guess is that will end up not being a big deal.

I think I agree. We'll get used to it real fast.
by rockmcd  (2019-02-05 15:30:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At first people will be taken aback at celebrity college athletes living celebrity lifestyles. "Why does the Quarterback make more than his English teacher?" "Back when I went to school, the athletes were part of the student body." But if them's the rules then people will get over it and eventually it'll just become the way it's always been, for better or worse. And I'm not really sure that it's worse.

I think you're underestimating what ND fans will help pay for. Maybe not with recruits, but for existing student-athletes. I think there would be tremendous support for things like "Help Dexter's dying mother relocate to South Bend." "Help Nix's mom travel to his games." "Help Manti fly to LA for Lennay's funeral."

I would think that the value of the Notre Dame education
by jt  (2019-02-05 15:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will be what really sways the majority of kids.

That's what it should be now, anyway, but with all the bullshit under the table crap it can get confusing. If someone really wants to make some money and market themselves and can do it above the table than the value of the institution might become the tipping point.