My experience tangentially related to this
by El Kabong (2019-02-05 17:11:13)

In reply to: a member of the CA state senate plans to introduce a bill  posted by jt

When I wrote the book, a photographer took the cover picture showing four players running past the ND logo at center court.

In order for me to be able to use the picture on the book cover, the players all had to be blurred out so as not to indicate who they were. Why? Because the NCAA prohibits player likenesses being used to sell or otherwise promote products.

IIRC, Marc Kelly had to give back the scale payment
by knutesteen  (2019-02-05 19:50:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he made for appearing in the movie Fast Break in order to maintain his eligibility as a walk on for the ND basketball team in '78-'82. Nice guy, was in my freshman seminar class. From the linked article, apparently did quite well for himself.
Any nominal payment has been verboten forever. Any changes will require the NCAA to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present and future.

IIRC Gabe's female player schooled him * *
by Ajax  (2019-02-05 19:56:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be clear, if Notre Dame was the one selling the book
by jt  (2019-02-05 19:15:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it would have been okay, correct?

I recall Steve Alford having a similar issue when he was a player at Indiana and he was trying to do a fundraiser for a worthy cause (allegedly, I know) and they made a calendar and he was "mr. May" or whatever and he almost lost his scholarship. He pointed out that other players did it for the school and the school sold them and made money but he couldn't do it for a charity.