We’re back baby!
by mitquinn (2019-02-06 15:18:27)

In reply to: Have we signed a kid out of De la Salle since Derek Landri? *  posted by Jvan

Hard to believe we lost our pipeline with them along the way.

There never was a pipeline
by dignan  (2019-02-06 16:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Landri and Aaron Taylor are the only DLS guys to play at ND I believe.

I played at DLS in the late Holtz years. Our coaches embraced ND. Our O line coach worshipped Joe Moore, and coached like him. These were men of a certain age, however, that grew up in an era when ND was the premiere program. For the kids on my team, it seemed ND was already starting to come off the pedestal. Typical California kids- very PAC 10 centric. Hell, one of my teammates was being recruited by Nebraska, and that seemed like a bigger deal than an ND overture would have been. And, this was on the heels of Holtz's dominant 6 year run. I can only imagine we're an afterthought in most current DLS players' minds. Can't see it ever being a Pipeline for us.

interesting post~ *
by Ft. Wayne 450  (2019-02-07 13:10:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I might have played against you
by mitquinn  (2019-02-06 17:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pipeline was probably an overstatement, but I did mean to express the desire of most kids I knew that had a shot at college trying to transfer to DLS from their public school.

From my view in the East Bay during the 90s, DLS was the pinnacle (probably still is) and anyone there with potential could get ND to look.

ND missed on several names following the Holtz years of success, also probably due to program and hiring decisions: MJD, Kevin Simon and DJ Williams are three of the bigger names.

BK got the Atkinson twins from Granada. Just seems there is more to be had if ND had a cohesive recruiting pipeline regardless of who is HC.

Where did you play? I was on the '94 and '95 teams *
by dignan  (2019-02-06 18:55:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

interestingly...
by DavidAddison  (2019-02-06 16:58:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the next kid to announce today after Foskey (same high school) is a stud OLB and he announced he is going to Tennessee. I didn't see that one coming. I get that the SEC has made inroads in recruiting the West Coast, but Tennessee? Wow.

Tennessee has done well at DLS. *
by rkellyatrecess  (2019-02-06 19:14:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every few years a kid will head east of the Rockies
by dignan  (2019-02-06 17:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Landri and Taylor, Kevin Simon (Tennessee), Amani Toomer and Matt Gutierrez(Michigan), DJ Williams (Miami), Bart Houston (Wisconsin)- all come to mind. I don't think there have been that many others.

Heavy Cal, UCLA, Oregon representation.

Might increase in the future
by BIG MAC  (2019-02-07 10:18:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PAC12 is increasingly thought of as a weaker conference.