It’s a class that will help ND reach the playoffs again.
by Bruno95 (2019-02-07 11:25:19)

In reply to: Most ESPN Top 300 signees since 2013 *  posted by NDCuse

It’s also a class that won’t likely change ND’s fortunes in such a game.

Probably right
by NDCuse  (2019-02-07 11:52:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a gap that ND needs to close with the top 5 programs (Bama, OSU, Clemson, UGA, OU) which will likely require a 3-4 years of sustained success (stringing together 10-12 win seasons) to boost recruiting and/or a new head coach. Oregon (2008-14) and Clemson (2011-18) and the type of stretches that come to mind.

ABSOLUTELY right.
by JMAC  (2019-02-07 12:45:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no: Tee Higgins, Amari Rogers, Justin Ross, Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Austin Bryant, or Dexter Lawrence's in this class. No Tua Tagovailoa, Jerry Juedy, or Najee Harris.

There are NO skill difference makers on Offense or the D-line.
There's not even a Dexter Williams.

It's a good class; but a 10-2 class. I'm not even sure it's a playoff class.

Kelly whiffed on an elite RB and WR...again.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-02-07 14:35:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He simply gets outworked by other schools.

Nothing against the kids we brought in. K. Williams may turn out to be a nice player.

The issue remains that he continues to have talent gaps between classes at various positions. You cannot do that. Creating tough practices through competition is crucial to your depth chart.

Dexter Williams was just as good as Etienne
by athlete37  (2019-02-07 16:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The gap was at receiver

I was trying to make a point on recruiting inconsistencies.
by goldhelmethead  (2019-02-08 10:06:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or, the importance of bringing in elite players every cycle to keep the gap small between starter and 2 deep.

Dexter was great last year. I wouldn't disagree with your opinion.

He was really good this season. He was apparently
by SEE  (2019-02-07 20:36:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very good in senior bowl practice as well.

Kyren Williams might surprise everyone
by SEE  (2019-02-07 14:35:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As might KAR. But I agree lacking difference makers.That’s two years in a row with misses at RB.

maybe, but our guys are RKG's. Eat that Clemson *
by irishrock  (2019-02-07 11:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that's a poor assumption.
by ndroman21  (2019-02-07 11:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson's class has 1 five star recruit to ND's 0 this year. ND has more 4 stars and Clemson has a boatload of 3 stars, with the numbers bringing their class higher.

Their recruiting has been around this level during their ascent to the pinnacle of college football.

I think the larger difference starts after the kids are on campus.

Wasn't Hamilton a 5 star in final rankings? *
by btd  (2019-02-07 20:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree about the larger difference.
by Bruno95  (2019-02-07 13:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think ND's recruiting is very good but not elite. I think their offensive coaching is well south of elite.

They're capable of making a run if everything falls into place: low injury rate, favorable schedule, USC & Stanford having down years, good luck in a close game or two. I don't think they can beat a good team that sees them coming.

They've beaten good teams that saw them coming.
by rockmcd  (2019-02-07 14:19:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan in 2018 & USC in 2017 are the 2 most recent examples.
I would change that to say "I don't think they can beat teams coached by Dabo/Saban/Urban when they see them coming."

Michigan was just OK.
by Bruno95  (2019-02-07 20:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC is coached by an idiot.

Clemson's recruiting has been slightly better recently.
by mocopdx  (2019-02-07 12:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They really haven't had recruiting like Alabama or OSU. Their five year recruiting composite is right with us, actually. The difference is that each year they get 1-2 guys, typically in the front seven, who are truly elite. The difference is only a few players, but 3-5 truly elite players means everything when the other 80 or so are equal.

Plus Dabo is just a better coach than BK ever will be.

agree *
by jt  (2019-02-07 12:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 6 years? *
by HTownND  (2019-02-07 11:37:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post