I think that's a poor assumption.
by ndroman21 (2019-02-07 11:46:47)

In reply to: It’s a class that will help ND reach the playoffs again.  posted by Bruno95

Clemson's class has 1 five star recruit to ND's 0 this year. ND has more 4 stars and Clemson has a boatload of 3 stars, with the numbers bringing their class higher.

Their recruiting has been around this level during their ascent to the pinnacle of college football.

I think the larger difference starts after the kids are on campus.

Wasn't Hamilton a 5 star in final rankings? *
by btd  (2019-02-07 20:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree about the larger difference.
by Bruno95  (2019-02-07 13:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think ND's recruiting is very good but not elite. I think their offensive coaching is well south of elite.

They're capable of making a run if everything falls into place: low injury rate, favorable schedule, USC & Stanford having down years, good luck in a close game or two. I don't think they can beat a good team that sees them coming.

They've beaten good teams that saw them coming.
by rockmcd  (2019-02-07 14:19:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan in 2018 & USC in 2017 are the 2 most recent examples.
I would change that to say "I don't think they can beat teams coached by Dabo/Saban/Urban when they see them coming."

Michigan was just OK.
by Bruno95  (2019-02-07 20:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USC is coached by an idiot.

Clemson's recruiting has been slightly better recently.
by mocopdx  (2019-02-07 12:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They really haven't had recruiting like Alabama or OSU. Their five year recruiting composite is right with us, actually. The difference is that each year they get 1-2 guys, typically in the front seven, who are truly elite. The difference is only a few players, but 3-5 truly elite players means everything when the other 80 or so are equal.

Plus Dabo is just a better coach than BK ever will be.

agree *
by jt  (2019-02-07 12:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post