There are a couple.
by TWO (2019-02-07 13:28:14)

In reply to: Name a NC in the last 50 yrs that didn't have a great coach  posted by NJDoubleDomer

1990 Bill McCartney of Colorado and Bobby Ross of Ga.Tech split the Nat'l Title. They were good coaches but I wouldn't put them in the category of great coaches.

1981 Danny Ford of Clemson another good coach (cheater as well) but not a great coach.

1997 Michigan ...Lloyd Carr another good coach but I'd hesitate to call Lloyd Carr a great coach.

I'm sure there are others, but I guess it's pretty subjective on who is a great coach. Right now it's easy, Dabo, Saban, and Urban Meyer are clearly a notch above everybody else and it shows when you start counting Nat'l Titles.

Gene Chizik. Maybe the worst NC ever along with Coker. *
by supernd  (2019-02-08 18:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Bobby Ross was a great coach. And he wanted
by cards86  (2019-02-08 11:41:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to coach at ND after Lou.

I would add Larry Coker
by bluengold07  (2019-02-07 13:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jimbo isn't there (yet).

I would say that LaVell Edwards, Don James, and Dennis Erickson were good, not great. Erickson had great numbers, but I give more of that credit to Jimmy Johnson.

Erickson had some success at WSU and Oregon State as well
by Tex Francisco  (2019-02-07 14:15:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Dennis Erickson, especially in his younger years, was a pretty good college coach, even if not elite.