I've always thought
by Groundhog (2019-02-09 11:35:14)

In reply to: Shouldn't be a need for a waiver.  posted by dfw

Transfers should be eligible to play the next season.

The only limitation I would put on it is that they can't transfer to a school in the same conference, or one that is on the schedule of their current school during the years of their eligibility.

That would still leave them close to 100 division one options.

Position needs-based and targetted recruiting, with
by Homeboy73  (2019-02-09 12:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even more opportunities for abuse. How do you keep teams from poaching other teams’ stars, even if you try to mandate that any transfer can only be initiated by the player seeking a transfer?

Why should we worry about the complexities of the model?
by ndzippy  (2019-02-09 13:48:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what the handsomely paid coaching staff should have to worry about. Some of these coaching staffs have 50+ members, and head coaches are making millions. I don't give a shit if their jobs get a little bit harder, especially if it means making life better for those who are most vulnerable/most taken advantage of (i.e., the players).

Twenty years ago, I'd have had a different perspective. But things have gotten so ridiculous since then that I've become an advocate for the players...screw the old men who use and abuse these kids to earn generational wealth.

Why should we keep teams from poaching?
by dfw  (2019-02-09 12:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the answer is that those poaching teams can be poached. Treat them well, keep the players happy, and help them develop - that is, make it better for them to stay. Will they leave, sure, but why should their movement be limited.

I think it would reduce the effect of abuse as those who are recruited over are not punished by having to sit somewhere else.