Recruiting is a boring topic when it all boils down to the
by Boomer80 (2019-02-11 08:55:30)
Edited on 2019-02-11 11:16:57

Coach. If Kelly was hired by Alabama tomorrow, what would happen to their program, with all of the elite talent they have? (Let’s assume for grins that nobody would flee the program).
With the class that Kelly just recruited, what would Lou (edit - oops, meant Nick here, of course!) Saban be able to accomplish if that’s what he had to work with?
Talent is important, but alone it’s not enough to get you to the top. You need a coach who knows how to use it. Charlie Weis had some amazing talent and squandered it.
So, for as long as Kelly is the coach, my expectations will always be tempered. They will do well, but this past season is probably as good as it gets. Not bad, way better than the WeisWillinghamDavie years, but most of us long for that NC.

Recruiting
by skanman  (2019-02-12 10:22:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are so right! Kelly has done as much as he can with the players he recruited. He has to recruit better or we will be a consistent top 15 team.

We are one of the tallest midgets.
by The Flash  (2019-02-11 11:31:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trouble is, the truth of your remarks could apply to most top-20 teams
with good-but-not-great-coaches, and in truth we have almost always
contended, but for USC and the Florida Triumvirate at the top. Now and for
the foreseeable future everyone has to endure the heartbreak of excellence
just short of consistently rivaling Alabama and Clemson.

Small nit. I think you meant Nick. Lou has been pushing
by irishintheville  (2019-02-11 09:55:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

up daisies for about 10 years. I generally agree with your points and would go further to note that Kelly hasn't exactly attracted the greatest coordinators and assistants during his tenure. It has improved significantly over the last several years with HH, Elko and Lea. His low-rent cronyism approach to staffing has resulted in the waste of talent in his earlier years at ND (e.g., 2011 team).

I can't think of one game during his tenure that we were a decided underdog and he out-motivated and out-coached an elite opposing team. He's a turd of a coach in that regard.

Oklahoma in 2012?
by ndzippy  (2019-02-11 09:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At kickoff, I believe we were a 10- or 11-point underdog.

Kelly's best win, judged at end of the season, is MSU 2013
by Tex Francisco  (2019-02-11 11:12:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It felt like a turd at the time, but that MSU team finished 13-1, #3 in the country.

With help from the officials
by son of galway  (2019-02-11 20:12:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MSU got called for pass interference about 5 times.

Of course, each one actually was pass interference, so they didn’t really have much to complain about.

One was pass interference on Robinson.
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-28 16:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So technically, that's true. But what should've been offensive pass interference was a big one in the end zone on, I think, third down. They got screwed on that one. Another was ticky tack I think. But the others they had nothing to complain about.

Another top flight defense that Kelly couldn't do anything
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-02-11 11:48:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against. Only way we were able to score in that game is that we got calls against their very aggressive secondary. That game was under the radar at the time and for much of the remainder of the year because Mich St. didn't do much during the regular season but then jumped up the rankings with back to back wins over top 5 teams to end the season.

I could go either way on that one. I thought we were +8 but
by irishintheville  (2019-02-11 10:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could be wrong on that. I don't think we were undermanned in that contest. I believe we had the more talented team. It is one of the few games I thought BK did a decent job of calling plays.

OU had a flashy offense. ND had better line play.
by MobileIrish  (2019-02-11 11:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND dominated the line of scrimmage.

Lou would leave in the middle of the recruits' junior year. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-11 09:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou Saban. He'd just keep giving the ball to O.J. *
by Rosecrea  (2019-02-11 09:47:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the floor and the 8-9 win seasons that have killed him
by athlete37  (2019-02-11 09:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If every season under Kelly went similar to 2015, 2017, and 2018 there would still be optimism, albeit some frustration still. 2016 has still rightfully left a bitter taste for most people. In the other three seasons we have been just as successful as anyone not named Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson.

I would have said his floor was 7-5 going into 2016. Some said his ceiling last year was 9-3. Kelly has improved greatly, but also did a lot of effing up in years 1-7 to get there.