Probability not 100% (battery)...
by bleedsgreen04 (2019-02-11 12:34:18)

In reply to: Kelly's recruiting is worse than I thought.  posted by NDMike2001

I’m guessing the battery charge is some trumped up bullshit they tacked on due to incidental kicking while he was trying to get away, similar to the BS charge they tried to put on Tom Rees a few years back.

Two charges and no event?
by goldhelmethead  (2019-02-11 13:03:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like bullshit to me.

The reported definition says that fleeing an order to stop
by tdiddy07  (2019-02-11 13:37:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is an offense. It is possible to have a lawful order to stop based on probable cause where it turned out the guy did nothing wrong.

But it certainly should be a red flag if no further charge was made. For instance, no public intox or underage consumption or possession (if he hasn't turned 21 yet as a junior) charges were made. I also don't know what the public intox rules are if you're on ND's campus.

But you can't just order someone to stop for no good reason or because they look vaguely suspicious. You're welcome to try to confront them and ask questions, but they have no obligation to volunteer their answers or to stop and listen. And the refusal to volunteer answers or to stop and listen is not probable cause for any crime that could warrant a lawful order to stop.