Lot to chew on in this interview with Pete Thamel
by crazychester (2019-03-05 13:44:34)

with the headline being that Kelly wants to retire from ND in approx. 5 years.

We are being braced for unbridled success. Thank you Jack! *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-03-06 13:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the next coach can get us over the hump
by pobrien  (2019-03-06 09:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Kelly has done enough that ND can attract a championship level coach.

I hate these "victory" laps he and Jack keep taking.

He had plenty of "secret sauce" left. *
by 84david  (2019-03-06 08:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're on the brink!
by irishintheville  (2019-03-06 07:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See, Fr. John was right. And of course Sally, who knows much more than all of us.

Kelly needs to set his sights higher. I'm thinking at least
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-06 07:18:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10 more years - although I question whether we're all worthy enough.

I'm sure that Saban does not think this way
by jbrown_9999  (2019-03-06 00:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Yeah, I'm in it to win a national championship for Notre Dame, but what really drives me is the relationships with the players."

I believe that Saban wanting to win is his first, second, and third priority and his "relationship" with his players is fourth or lower

Love the new "wins over Top 16 opponents" metric *
by ndzippy  (2019-03-05 23:06:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why not top 17? top 63? *
by ColoNDFan  (2019-03-06 09:55:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's dumb
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-03-07 10:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top 10
Top 25

I've seen people use "Top 11" or "Top 20" or some other arbitrary metric to make Kelly look better or worse.

Rockne never beat any teams ranked in the top 16. *
by RallyingSon  (2019-03-06 08:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leahy never made the playoffs. *
by NDBass  (2019-03-06 09:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly is the only ND coach to EVER make the playoffs *
by Lloyd Braun  (2019-03-06 10:02:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are now qualified to work for the ND SID! *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-06 20:55:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are well and truly fooked
by HTownND  (2019-03-05 21:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can only imagine the Pavlovian fanboy reaction and retweets now.

Fucking embarrassing. Brian Kelly has coached 0 undefeated seasons. Zero, none, nada. You can’t be proud of something you didn’t fucking do.

I swear he reads this board amd is messing with us. *
by supernd  (2019-03-06 21:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A glimpse into an alternate universe.
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-03-05 21:26:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's one thing to tout Kelly for his two undefeated seasons and, in some bizarre way, even his turnaround from his self imposed failure of a 4-8 season, but to push it to the point of his inclusion in the grouping of Rockne-Leahy-Parseghian-Holtz is blatant disrespect and BS.

I want to throw up and take a shower under scalding water to wash away the disgust from reading this garbage.

Who are these people? Why are they anywhere near this program?

Thamel is Swarby's go-to outside PR flack. *
by VaDblDmr  (2019-03-05 23:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funnily, the top level probably is within his reach.
by PeteatND  (2019-03-05 18:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He'd only need to do a couple things:

1) Completely relinquish control of the offense to a top-flight offensive coordinator that prioritizes a physical style of play

2) Be more ambitious in recruiting 5 star talent (which might also necessitate hiring better recruiters underneath him)

The problem is, he's unlikely to ever consider either one, since recruiting RKGs (i.e. low-hanging fruit) and running his "it-was-cutting-edge-in-1995-offense" are so central to his contrived identity as a coach.

And both would likely require him to sacrifice political capital to convince the University to spend more on his assistant coaches, which seems antithetical to his survivalist mentality.

Get better at the outside skill positions
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-03-05 17:35:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe start recruiting them harder Brian.

What we need is first team All Americans at every position
by ACross  (2019-03-05 18:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then he'll be in business.

Hell never not blame the players
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-03-05 19:29:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That much you can write in stone.

Can’t finish it. Even Pravda would be ashamed. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-05 17:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I gagged at the one sentence body of OP's post. Kuck Felly! *
by Hati Hijau  (2019-03-05 23:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not exactly the Holtz "there is no reason why we should ever
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-03-05 16:04:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lose another game at Notre Dame" mindset. This was very predictable, they will pay lip service to the idea that we need to win a championship but he doesn't really hide the fact that he is quite satisfied with himself. This is a Notre Dame coach that hasn't won a major bowl game or a playoff game through nine years, who got drubbed by 27 points in the last game he coached, who is giving an interview patting himself on the back and stating how he'll be content with his legacy after five more seasons without a championship. Sickening.

"in the conversation among the program’s all-time greats"
by knutesteen  (2019-03-05 14:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a conversation I've ever had. Who is having this discussion?

That's quote stuck out
by NDAtty  (2019-03-06 16:16:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody. Even the biggest Brian Kelly fans can't possibly be having that conversation.

the conversation goes like this
by graNDfan  (2019-03-06 08:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Why can't we have another Rockne, Leahy, Ara, or Holtz? I'd even take a Devine. But no. FU Brian Kelly...."

Conversation I had with my brother at the Varsity Club
by OldIrishFan  (2019-03-05 17:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looking at the mural of ND coaches including Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz, and Kelly. Moff: Who doesn’t belong and why? Me: Kelly. End of conversation

One guess. Hint: it’s privileged
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-05 15:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No it’s not.

I certainly agree with him re: the skill positions.
by IrishGeek  (2019-03-05 14:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we do need to get so much better at running back, especially looking at our 2019 depth chart. Hard to argue with that. At least he recognizes it.

Counterpoint: Were Dexter & co. the problem vs. Clemson?
by ndzippy  (2019-03-06 08:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would say....no

Total mystery why top RBs aren't lining up to play for us *
by ACross  (2019-03-05 16:25:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely puzzling. *
by 2ndstreeter  (2019-03-05 21:06:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, he sees the lack of pass blockers on the DC
by TCIrish03  (2019-03-05 15:41:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And say what you will about ND's standards. At least it's an ethos.

seems dumb to specify the number of years you
by ocdomer78  (2019-03-05 14:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

want to stay. just the sort of thing other coaches like to use on the recruiting trail.

And just when recruiting is finally "humming along" *
by CJC  (2019-03-07 00:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah I'd agree, while pretty much everybody knows
by TWO  (2019-03-05 16:08:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the length of contracts of all these coaches, even Saban since he works for a State school where FIOA allows those interested to know the details of his contract.

I think it's better for these guys to be obtuse up until the end. As you say at some point coaches will use that against you on the recruiting trail and tell kids if you go there you won't play for the HC who recruited you.

It's why, at least in the past, you'd see assistants staying through NLOI signing day then leave programs (voluntarily or otherwise) after that so that kids wouldn't back out of signing because they weren't there to coach them.

Don't worry, in Year 3 they will announce Chuck Martin
by akaRonMexico  (2019-03-05 14:40:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as Coach in Waiting.

Honestly
by HTownND  (2019-03-07 12:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know it's coming. I see that train rolling down the tracks.

"Kelly is just 24 victories from Rockne's all time wins.."
by Buckyd9  (2019-03-05 14:03:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"That's just 3 seasons of 8 wins." Dare to dream!!!

Thamel could have said "or 2 seasons of 12 wins..." but I guess that's just not in the stars. Settle for mediocrity, it's easier. Like recruiting.

So we're now all just blatantly ignoring the vacated wins? *
by ndzippy  (2019-03-05 23:08:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brutal reminder: Joe Paterno has zero (0) vacated wins. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-06 20:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty confusing.
by IrishJosh24  (2019-03-05 23:54:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The article claims Kelly's "81-34" record "doesn’t factor in the 21 victories redacted by the NCAA for impermissible academic help."

The only way to get to 81 is to count the 21 vacated wins. Just pretend that it didn't happen. So, yes, the cited record does factor in the 21 vacated victories.

And the only way to get to 34 is not to count one of the losses, presumably the loss in the 2012 BCS championship game (we can't mention participation, I think, but the loss shouldn't be removed from our totals).

Brian Kelly is 60-35. He's nowhere near Notre Dame's great coaches by any measure, except perhaps tenure. And he shouldn't be close in that respect either, but our esteemed leaders are willing to overlook anything and everything for our guy Bri.

It's a poorly-written sentence.
by gordonbombay  (2019-03-06 11:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What he means is that the record doesn't account for the fact that 21 of the wins are vacated.

But does account for one loss being vacated. Why? *
by IrishJosh24  (2019-03-06 12:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you asking me this personally?
by Buckyd9  (2019-03-05 23:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or are you asking a rhetorical question as the ND fan base? If by chance you were asking me this personally, I’d say this wasn’t my statement, that’s why it’s in quotes. It was Pete Thamel’s statement in his article.

If you’re asking me this as an ND fan, I’d say no true ND is blatantly ignoring the vacated wins. There are no less than a dozen posts monthly that state such.

Sorry...question was rhetorical *
by ndzippy  (2019-03-06 07:06:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he already holds the record for most losses *
by son of galway  (2019-03-05 16:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Kelly has better work-life balance than Leahy, Ara & Lou *
by Flanner_11B  (2019-03-05 14:31:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is this a serious post? *
by ACross  (2019-03-05 14:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely not *
by Flanner_11B  (2019-03-05 21:57:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Youre getting too easy to troll * *
by SEE  (2019-03-05 17:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I presume he’s making fun of Swarbrick’s quote.
by revressbo  (2019-03-05 14:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which was, indirectly, pretty indicting. Or should be, at least.

At least one of two reasons (if not both) why the job destroyed Lou/Leahy/Ara but not BK.

1) Lowered expectations/lower performance standards which results in less pressure/stress.

2) He doesn’t work as hard.

3) failures don't haunt him at all
by ACross  (2019-03-05 16:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because they aren't failures and because they are the players' and the alumni's fault.

Saban is sitting in an office full of trophies determined to
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-03-05 16:35:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make sure he won't go two consecutive years without a title while Kelly is giving an interview reminding people that Holtz and Ara never had two perfect regular seasons at ND.

Ara finished two seasons without a loss.
by IrishJosh24  (2019-03-05 22:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he won the national championship both times.

Kelly is at 0 in both of those categories. And he is likely to remain there forever.

Compare winning percentage, major bowl victories, etc. Kelly is nowhere near the all-time greats. Anyone with two or more brain cells knows this fact.

And why is Kelly claiming two undefeated regular seasons anyway? Aren't we not supposed to reference 2012 and all the wins that we volunteered, and then were forced, to vacate?

yes, but Ara had blowouts too *
by jt  (2019-03-08 09:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like Ty Willingham, he's never had a bad day *
by TCIrish03  (2019-03-05 16:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly bought a Peloton? He really is one of us!
by akaRonMexico  (2019-03-05 13:59:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is my new mission to figure out his rider handle...

He needed something to hang his yoga mat on. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-05 19:30:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He rides like he coaches . . . downhill. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-03-05 15:55:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But does his wife drive an MDX? *
by TCIrish03  (2019-03-05 15:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Either "Relative To" or "Get Used To It" *
by Cliff Claven  (2019-03-05 14:23:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Big Chunk" *
by dulacshakur  (2019-03-05 14:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because it isn't stated enough...
by NDBass  (2019-03-05 13:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack Swarbrick can fist himself with a rusty gauntlet.

I love his take on how Kelly is better positioned for a long
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-03-05 16:13:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

run at ND than our legendary coaches. Yes let's celebrate how our Head Coach has found peace in his job as he's embraced the Iowa level expectations the AD has set for him.