Joe Montana responds after being mentioned in fraudulent
by HolyCrossHog (2019-03-15 02:37:34)

college recruiting scandal by William Singer, the mastermind of the scheme. Montana says his family used Singer's firm for minimal consulting services to help with the college application process.

I believe him.

I suggest this crap belongs on the Back Room
by ACross  (2019-03-15 15:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With other celebrity driven news.

It might, however
by OITLinebacker  (2019-03-15 16:18:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nate Montana did end up a walk on at ND. Given that some of Singer's clients attempted to gain walk on status in various sports to burnish entry into colleges, it might not be *that* much of a stretch to see how that could potentially taint a few things. Putting the whole thing into the light as being above board seems to be at least somewhat relational to topics on Rocks.

Ya...sorry, Joe Montana's kid IS going to get a walk-on spot
by ndgenius  (2019-03-18 10:07:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at his dad's alma mater so long as he qualifies to get in. Even then, they may pull some strings to get the "name" in the school.

Not sure if Doug Flutie has any kids but if one of them wanted to be a walk-on at BC, he's going to get that gig.

Thin connection. And Nate had a verifiable high school ....
by Rocksteady74  (2019-03-15 21:36:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... record of football accomplishment, and tapes for reviewing. With that accomplishment and his father's profile, he didn't need Singer's dark arts to get a walk on slot.

You know he was actually on the team (and played)
by Irishaddict  (2019-03-15 20:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing at all in common with the frauds that had folks admitted for sports they didn’t play. P

What a ridiculous thing to say *
by airborneirish  (2019-03-15 18:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

give me a break *
by ACross  (2019-03-15 17:17:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the record
by OITLinebacker  (2019-03-18 15:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was not my first thought either, some Big Ten grads (usual suspects around here) poked this jab my way the day before I posted it. It was stupid of them to do so, but the connection, however tenuous is enough for those who dislike ND to say something, so it in my mind it is something that should be on the board for us to talk about here on the football board...that is all.

Some difference
by ColoDomer67  (2019-03-15 16:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those clients did not actually show up for any of the schools' teams, however. They just used the fraudulent identification as walk on athletes to gain admission to the school.

I've seen no reason to suggest Nate's admission was questionable. I don't mind reading about the scandal on this board, however, if only to gloat that ND is NOT involved.

Phil Michelson used the company, too. No wrongdoing
by ndwifemom  (2019-03-15 15:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

alleged.

Phil would have already rolled over on the company. *
by rkellyatrecess  (2019-03-15 18:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And smothered it with his man-boobs. *
by peeps  (2019-03-16 10:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently Singer started off legitimate
by PattyMulligan  (2019-03-15 13:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before he turned rogue.

Like Bernie Madoff
by pmac98  (2019-03-15 15:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you have to have the legitimate business in place to attract the big fish to your con.

Of the services Singer provided
by Otter  (2019-03-15 12:34:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...only the ACT fraud would seem to even make sense for Montana's kids.

to be clear, don't think he was mentioned re: the scandal
by dallasdawg  (2019-03-15 12:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he was mentioned as a client of Singer's legitimate services. I know that might be fine distinction, but I think its important, and the reason he's not listed in any of the criminal charges.

It appears as though Singer did run a legitimate educational consulting service. Phil Mickelson was also a client in this regard.