Head Coach Responsibilities
by jbrown_9999 (2019-03-16 12:36:54)

In my opinion, these are the responsibilities of a college head football in order of their importance:

Hiring (& Firing) / Staff Development
Recruiting
Player Development
Scheme
Game-day coaching
Other (Program Development)

Thoughts?

Scheme?
by BeijingIrish  (2019-03-18 13:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who gives a shit about that? If we ran the Single Wing, I wouldn't care as long as we competed, won big games routinely, were highly ranked every year, and did all of this with integrity and honor.

Right, but I think what he’s saying
by Naptown  (2019-03-20 08:34:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that it’s the head coaches job to determine what scheme they’ll try to execute. If he wants to run the single wing, then fine, but he’s the one to decide that.

You could never be athletic director at Notre Dame.
by RallyingSon  (2019-03-17 19:24:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because you didn't even mention fund raising.

Eh-hem: Univ VP James E Rohr Director of Athletics *
by Stonebreaker42  (2019-03-19 17:22:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mission/vision/purpose
by jrdjr84  (2019-03-17 09:57:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"If you're managing, you're not leading."
Ara led.
David leads.
BK manages, IMHO.

I wonder if Brian Kelly would be a better Athletic Director
by jbrown_9999  (2019-03-17 23:32:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than coach since many people will point to off the field items such as nutrition improvements, facility upgrades, medical/training staff changes, etc. as evidence of the good to great job Kelly has done as coach (their opinion not mine). For me, Kelly may have pushed for changes but the execution was probably left to others.

The one glaring concern I have regarding that question is that an AD should be pretty good at hiring & firing staff and Brian Kelly does not have a stellar record in that area (though his last two years have been better than the previous seven).

Please note that I am not advocating that Kelly should ever be AD at ND.

His assistant coach hiring without pressure from above
by tdiddy07  (2019-03-23 10:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

points to the contrary.

BK is more Assistant Towel Boy at The Rock material *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-03-19 17:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder what that would be like. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-24 19:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Motivation (secret sauce) and culture, Ara and Saban
by SEE  (2019-03-17 03:25:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

called these, respectively, the most important jobs of the coach.

*you need to weight these after you get the list

“Secret sauce” *
by arch_moore  (2019-03-17 16:24:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is indeed. Dabo now has the leading recipe *
by SEE  (2019-03-17 16:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ostarine stew. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-03-18 09:13:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gave the post some time for replies
by 21TAS  (2019-03-16 18:47:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I would put winning up there at the top as an end goal

Everything you list is true and accurate, but, without winning, it all really doesn't matter if you don't consider success in your efforts somewhere in that list.

Notre Dame prides itself on excellence. I would think that applies to success on whatever field of sports is considered.

Thought teaching team the words to opponents’s alma mater
by Frank Drebin  (2019-03-16 17:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Atleast that is how Charlie Weis viewed his most important role to be

Including perhaps the most important factor:
by Irish72  (2019-03-16 16:50:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Respecting the university's mission and doing so with dignity. BK gets an F here, while MB and MM get an A+.

Agree on MM with an A plus. While Brey is light years
by gradyfan  (2019-03-16 19:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

better than Kelly, he does have a little bit of Digger’s devilish side in him.

Laughable
by D8NDomer  (2019-03-16 15:18:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how different we view our football and basketball coaches.

How so? *
by El Kabong  (2019-03-16 16:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d assume he cites results .
by LAW83  (2019-03-19 08:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the end of the day, it’s “what have you done for me lately”. Men’s b-ball hasn’t made Dance,in 2years. I suspect poster is making comparison many of men’s basketball board have expressed continued support for Brey, and muted in criticism .
Suspect he feels Kelly, whose program has played in 2 National Championship series, wouldn’t/ hasn’t received such “rope”, for results that Brey has.
That’s be my guess what poster was referring too ??
What do you think??

You are conflating things
by HTownND  (2019-03-19 12:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That first title game Kelly played in

1) Was 6 years ago
2) We got curb stomped
3) We had to vacate all the wins from that year

So Kelly's what have you done for me lately is one decent season, one good season, and yet another ass kicking when it mattered the most.

But I expect national titles from ND football. I don't expect national titles from ND Men's BBall

Perhaps you might raise your expectations for men b-ball too
by LAW83  (2019-03-20 08:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why wouldn’t you?

To me, this feels a little bit like saying that
by jerseyirish07  (2019-03-26 13:29:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chick Fil-A should aspire to make the world's greatest french fries.

Perhaps they should. But ultimately, that's not a foundation of what Chick Fil-A is, and it isn't what they're known for (and it likely will never be).

You can aspire to be the best at both, but I certainly wouldn't equate them in terms of importance.

To what? *
by El Kabong  (2019-03-25 01:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because the school’s investment says they don’t care *
by cujays96  (2019-03-20 22:37:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps you consider it part of player development....
by Marine Domer  (2019-03-16 13:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but a head coach is, or should be, responsible for at least some part of the academic and character development of his players. He should also be a good representative of the University, particularly at Notre Dame.

Disagree on the academic part.
by IrishGeek  (2019-03-17 12:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is plenty in the job description of a major college football coach without making academic achievement his responsibility. It has been said many times on this board that ND coaches have always had teams that did well in the classroom because there is a whole support staff in place to allow that to happen. The coach shouldn’t recruit within the academic constraints and stay out of the way if for example a lab conflicts with practice. But the idea that academic development fall on him is unreasonable. Maybe we’re talking about the same thing with respect to his “academic” responsibilities.

That's why I limited it to "some part"....
by Marine Domer  (2019-03-17 13:21:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the academic development. A coach can foster an environment that contributes, or one that detracts from academic achievement. If we really mean for these kids to be student athletes, those are two huge jobs going on at the same time. They need help. The coach's first job is to win games, but they should care about the well-being of kids entrusted to them, most of whom will never play professionally.

Do you think Brian Kelly has fulfilled his academic
by IrishGeek  (2019-03-17 14:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

responsibilities?

Not sure. I don’t really know enough about that part.....
by Marine Domer  (2019-03-17 14:42:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the program to say. Some of his players have had issues, and some have cheated, but that happens.

Good post. He's earned an F there a couple of seasons
by Athlete37  (2019-03-16 14:31:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has been considerably better since January of 2017 in this regard. Even the ridiculous comparisons that were made to Rockne, Lou, etc were Swarbeick's doing and identified as off base by Kelly. "They have National Championships" was basically his blunt response

Grades
by athlete37  (2019-03-16 12:48:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hiring (& Firing) / Staff Development : C. VanGorder alone made me consider lower. S&C and D.C. have been home runs the last two years
Recruiting: B/B+
Player Development: B+
Scheme: B. C+ first 6 years, B+ last two. F in 2016
Game-day coaching: B- this one may be generous.
Other (Program Development): depends on your view

Van Gorder was a blessing and a curse for Kelly
by SEE  (2019-03-17 03:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Worst hire possible by any measure, but that disaster also begat the recent changes. The S&C staff changes being the most important.