Is Woods:Nicklaus::Holtz:Rockne the same for you guys too?
by rgvirish (2019-04-17 15:04:53)

I know the adage "records are made to be broken".

But I was kind of glad Lou quit/ or was released before he could overtake Rockne's record.
I sometimes have a similar wish for Tiger.
I admire and like Woods, but I sometimes hope Tiger does not overtake Jack.
Although I also hope he keeps winning majors. To a certain point of course.
Maybe it's just the old guy in me.

This is kind of strange since I had no problem with Roger Marris and others.

Very slim chance for Tiger to catch Jack
by The Oak  (2019-04-18 09:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you look at Major winners over the age of 40, the stats are not good. Tiger is 43. I knew if Tiger stayed healthy he would put it together for another one. And the Masters was the most likely. He needs 3 to tie, and 4 to beat Jack, and it is highly unlikely.

And yes I believe Jack is the greatest golfer of all time.

What about Leahy?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-17 17:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leahy won more national titles than Rockne and I'm not aware of any hand-wringing for doing that.

I imagine some Bama fans feel the same about Saban/Bryant.
by tenndomer  (2019-04-17 16:36:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But, then again, probably not.

Similar to how ND fans feel about Davie/Willingham/Weis.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-04-17 17:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only In reverse.

Sorry. I thought I'd placed this in the Back Room.
by rgvirish  (2019-04-17 16:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really don't post here.

I don't think a "Gee, the helmets look nice and shiny today" type of football genius like myself should post here.

Also Davie:STDs *
by drmurray  (2019-04-17 15:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Davie:chlamydia. Kelly:herpes. *
by geoffgeoffers  (2019-04-22 15:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't associate Rockne's success and contributions to the
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-04-17 15:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

program with the number 105. Actually when I think about 105 it's more to lament that he got stuck on it because of the crash. Clearly if someone, especially someone like Kelly, were to overtake that record no one respectable would equate that with him overtaking Rockne on the Mount Rushmore. Even with Holtz if he had gotten to 106 I don't think many people would have started referring to him as the best coach in program history and if they did Holtz would have been the first to shoot them down.

The Nicklaus 18 record is defining, I think it's pretty close to universally accepted that with everything else on his resume if Tiger were to get to 19 he overtakes Nicklaus so a Nicklaus fan has much more motivation to pull against that happening.

This begs the question
by nd167  (2019-04-17 15:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will Kelly be allowed to pass Kockne or even Holtz in wins? I hope not. He does not derserve to sit a top that mountain. The answer in a couple years.

Freudian slip there? *
by ArasEra  (2019-04-17 20:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very similar for me
by Pat85  (2019-04-17 15:18:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also find myself cheering for Tiger more as he gets older, as did a lot of the Palmer fans as Jack got older. IMO Jack faced a better caliber of clutch opposition than Tiger has (at least so far). I would like to see one of these young guns become a Tom Watson, Lee Trevino or Gary Player and take a couple of majors away from him in a duel. I guess Koepka did that at the PGA last fall (not so much last Sunday). AND I recognize the depth of fields is stronger in Tiger's era compare to Jack. Golf is more interesting with Tiger and if his chase of Nicklaus is back on that will make it even more compelling over the next decade. Always fun to debate GOAT, and plenty of good reasons to make the case for either Jack or Tiger.