What do you consider to be ND’s greatest play of all time?
by Frank Drebin (2019-05-10 20:43:22)
Edited on 2019-05-10 20:48:16

My all time play is Tom Clements’s pass to Weber in 4th Quarter of ‘73 Sugar Bowl to seal the deal against Bama to win the National Championship

For some who brush what grey hair is left
by alioso69  (2019-05-12 20:42:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there are too many plays that have brought to our knees and have infected with the wonderful virus that we have today. From listening on a radio to us stopping Oklahoma's streak at 47 (and there are others who remember further back) until today--all the plays that gave us supreme joy to the absolute heartbreakers--how can any of us ever pick just one? They are all a giant hook in our bellies.

Special team candidates
by SixShutouts66  (2019-05-11 22:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Tim Brown punt return against USC in Lou's first year, leading to our own Heidi moment (TV returned to a dog pile of ND players on John Carney). IMHO this game changed momentum of program

2. Brown's second punt return TD against Michigan State when a punt block was called and TB had little blocking until he broke free. His Heisman moment.

3.And of course, the moment that proved to the entire world that Michigan sucks. (Spoiler: the ringless one kicked off to Rocket a second time)

Reggie Ho v Michigan -a clutch field goal kicking clinic *
by saderdomer  (2019-05-12 12:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tie: "93 yards Van!" and Penick 85 yd run *
by ndbob79  (2019-05-11 13:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

93 yards Van — what is the reference? *
by son of galway  (2019-05-12 15:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Penick run - on the radio call, you can barely hear the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-11 13:50:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND radio announcer during the run - it was so loud in the stadium.

Does that call exist? *
by Tiger Stadium  (2019-05-11 17:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The hiring of Holtz from Minnesota
by graNDfan  (2019-05-11 10:45:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As it started the true return to glory and probably the last championship I will see in my lifetime....it also is tied to the most infamous- the hiring of Bob Davie, who bears the blame for all ill in the world.

Who would have thought in 2002 that Davie would coach again in ND stadium before Lou would again...

"We hired a coach who runs the option?"
by PattyMulligan  (2019-05-11 19:47:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND had become a laughingstock under Faust.

The rise from 1986 - 1988 was a thing of beauty.

Weber *
by 84david  (2019-05-11 09:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes! *
by Gatewood  (2019-05-11 21:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dorais to Rockne - 1913
by GreenMonstah  (2019-05-11 01:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 40-yard touchdown pass to Rockne in the first quarter of the 1913 Army game changed the game of football as we know it and enabled everything about ND football that has happened since.

Winner *
by ndhouston  (2019-05-11 15:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Changing the question to greatest individual play,
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-11 00:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so not necessarily in a huge game. Bob Crable leaping to block a University of Michigan field goal? Ivory Covington (maybe 150 pounds) stopping the Army tight end going for 2 points and the win at the end of the game at Giants Stadium was amazing. Samardjia’s catch and run to win over UCLA. Numerous flattened QBs by Patulski, Ross Browner etc. Pretty much any kick return by Rocket. Lots of great memories.

Zibby PR vs USC in 2005 should be mentioned *
by BillShakespeare  (2019-05-12 14:37:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allen Rossum chasing down the navy player
by naptown  (2019-05-12 11:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And tackling him just short of the end zone to preserve the win and the streak. I was living in Annapolis at the time and watching that with a bunch of Navy fans.

Ivory Covington's *
by MukIrish  (2019-05-11 16:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ross Browner batting down the pitch in Cotton Bowl,
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-05-11 09:42:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and beating the running back to the ball as it bounced around their backfield. Fairly early in the game, if I recall, and really gave ND momentum.

It could be argued
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-11 09:40:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nick Eddy's kickoff return against Purdue in '66, after Leroy Keyes had returned a fumble, established the winning spirit for the team. Had Nick not made the play and Purdue built on their lead the psychology would have been entirely different, not only for that season but perhaps for our perception of Ara.

Of course ND had the dominant team, and the entire special teams unit was responsible for the play. I've never seen a more wide open sideline to run down. I was sitting just above the tunnel and clearly saw the play develop.

So, it is all speculation; as the question invites.

Clements to Weber *
by son of galway  (2019-05-10 23:35:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you were there, the situation and result had to be the
by ProV1x  (2019-05-15 18:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

greatest call ever by Ara and the greatest pass and completion in ND history. I thought for sure the Irish were going to have to punt and Bama would get great field position for their excellent kicker. Then wham, bam, biff, pow, crunch, crash, smash, crack, whack, smack...pass complete, game over, Irish win!! A lot of happy faces wearing Blue and Gold, and Green, in the French Quarter for several hours later that night and early morning.

Terell batting down the conversion pass *
by Dillon301  (2019-05-10 22:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For people of a certain generation, that’s the
by domerfromkansas  (2019-05-10 22:03:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Best. Honorable mention in recent years: a long pass by Tony Rice across the middle to a tight end (god forgive me for not remembering his name at the moment) that broke open the Fiesta Bowl win against West Virginia in January 1989 our last national championship. Eric pennick’s run against USC also stands out. But, truth be told, it’s probably a play by one of the four horsemen in the polo grounds that first put us on the map.

Lujack’s tackle
by BMeyer06  (2019-05-10 22:01:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in ‘46 Army game. To preserve the 0-0 tie.

THIS *
by The Flash  (2019-05-20 11:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think this is right
by ndtnguy  (2019-05-13 11:43:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't look like much on film, but it astonished everyone who saw it: nobody tackled Blanchard in the open field.

It was during 1988 game vs. USC.
by sticker  (2019-05-10 21:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rodney Pete throws an interception & pursues. Then, BAM! He never knew what hit him. Cold-cocked. I do not usually rejoice in other's pain and suffering but it was USC. You know, BAM!

Rocket’s punt return touchdown against Colorado...
by Marine Domer  (2019-05-10 21:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before it got called back on a bullshit clipping penalty.

This one has my vote. *
by mattchell  (2019-05-20 20:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mike Gillette wide right by a foot or so.
by domer4  (2019-05-10 21:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People forget that was with 3 seconds to go - ND had no chance to answer.

The Pat Terrell knockdown was still with 45 seconds left in the game. Perhaps little chance for a field goal - but still a chance.

I will forever remember St Joseph Michigan.

Pat Terrell knocking down Steve Walsh's pass? *
by PattyMulligan  (2019-05-10 21:10:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Soft spot for Harry Oliver's FG.
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-05-10 20:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a kid, I listened to Tony Roberts call that. I can still picture that moment, where I was in my house, my mom and dad listening in another room, etc. I think maybe because game winning 51 yard FG's were not exactly common in those days, and the last minute was so unexpected.