what did you think ND’s most infamous play is of all time?
by Inigomontoya (2019-05-10 22:40:32)

Greg Davis’s clipping (phantom) clipping?

Ricky Watters’ Stanford punt fumble?

Shakespeare to Milner vs OSU in 1935
by Odschool  (2019-05-14 13:37:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

https://125.nd.edu/moments/notre-dames-first-game-of-the-century-1935/

Dan Devine’s 4th and 1 pass decision vs Georgia in ‘81 Sugar *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-12 14:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1981 Sugar Bowl. Non-catch of opening kickoff by
by irishhawk49  (2019-05-12 10:27:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim Stone and Ty Barber. Gifted Georgia 7 points to start game.

Giving Hershel Walker first and goal from the one?
by SBOG  (2019-05-13 06:05:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's the worst that could happen?

You know we’ve had some bad shit go down when...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-11 22:51:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

David Grimes’ Stanford catch hasn’t even been mentioned. While certainly not the most historically significant play, given the horror show that was the 2007 season and the fact that we still won the game, it still has to be one worst calls ever to go against ND.

That was my wife’s choice. Thank goodness it
by Fasted68  (2019-05-12 16:37:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

didn’t cost us the game

Zibby's interception at the end of the first half (IIRC)
by dbldomer7375  (2019-05-12 08:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was also a beauty with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, too.

There are so many plays that are forgettable.

I will say the failed fake FG against Michigan in 1981.
by domer4  (2019-05-11 22:21:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just because nobody mentioned it before.

And from a historical context, it was the moment that people realize Faust wasn't some football coaching God.

Frankly, the year 1981 (Digger decline, Devine leaving, Krause retiring) was the end of the "old" Notre Dame and the start of the present era of ND just not being that great.

Anthony Davis kick return in 1974 was pretty bad.
by PattyMulligan  (2019-05-11 17:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was there. I wish I hadn't been.

Wasn’t that kickoff returnS *
by Fasted68  (2019-05-11 22:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A day that will live in infamy
by drmurray  (2019-05-12 15:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, Michigan sucks

Rocket Phantom clip in Orange bowl *
by nypadomer  (2019-05-11 16:33:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't speak to pre-Holtz but from '86 on the Bercich
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-05-11 16:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

drop is without a doubt the answer to your question. Especially since it's an open wound with us not having won a title since it happened. Those guys not being champions and Holtz not being a multiple championship coach bothers me greatly.

Ty punting from the 30 against BC
by dinger9927  (2019-05-11 15:52:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree with the others below which were worse but this needs to be added to the list.

El guapo is the most infamous.
by jt  (2019-05-11 14:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It means "more than famous."

Would you say...
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-11 15:18:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he had a plethora of plays?

today the gringos are falling from the sky! *
by jt  (2019-05-11 16:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a swea-tehr! *
by inigomontoya  (2019-05-11 19:17:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The time one of Davie’s snot rockets injured a fan.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-11 11:22:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was covered up, but it ended up costing the school millions.

They should've settled that case *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-11 19:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always remember 1991 blocked FG vs Tennessee right before
by Raoul  (2019-05-11 11:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the end of the half. We were going to go up 34-7 on a short FG and somehow 20 seconds later it was 31-14 going into half. They won the game 35-34. I just remember being stunned that under Holtz we could lose such a huge lead with what was a great team loaded with legit future NFL players.

Just blame Gary Darnell.
by domer4  (2019-05-11 22:24:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may have been Holtz's BVG.

If I recall correctly, the blocked
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-11 13:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

field goal right before half also resulted in an injury to our kicker, and at the end of the game, down 1, our reserve walk-on kicker misssed a modest length field goal. Game was at Notre Dame, I think.

Yes, yes it was
by ndhouston  (2019-05-11 15:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hentrich was injured, and a walk-on (Pendergast, I think) missed a field goal at the end of the game. Later commentary talked about how fortunate Tennessee was that ND's walkon backup kicker was kicking into the south end zone, rather than at Touchdown Jesus.

At any rate, we lost. I still hate Johnny Majors.

Then the Irish lost the next week, on the road and by a lot, to Penn State. We used to use other descriptors of that game, but those graphical references have not aged well in light of Penn State's issues.

Then the #18 Irish received an invite to take on Steve Spurrier's #3 Gators in New Orleans. That game remains the greatest ND victory I have ever attended in person - even better than the November 1993 FSU game. Spurrier was a better villain than Bowden, and New Orleans was a better venue than South Bend.

Rob Leonard was the kicker *
by guinness1940  (2019-05-12 16:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to all 3 of those games
by Bullah  (2019-05-11 20:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brutal loss to TN. Then at PSU was rough.
ND fans outnumbered in Sugar Bowl. Great win. Sparse crowds on Bourbon Street after as UF fans went home sulking.

That was brutal.
by MobileIrish  (2019-05-11 12:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Team still had an outside shot at playing for the title if they could take care of business. The season fell apart after that play. That team had a ton of talent. Fortunately they were able to regroup in a memorable Sugar Bowl win over Spurrier and Florida.

1964 "phantom" clip / hold vs. USC...homer job!!! * *
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-11 10:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everyone needs to have at least one of their own zebras.
by ProV1x  (2019-05-15 18:10:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's worth at least 6 points on the card.

Dillingham int at BC 14. Pick 6.
by Pjnuge  (2019-05-11 10:40:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still untucking believable

Yeah that was rough *
by bluengold07  (2019-05-11 14:06:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ah yes
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-05-11 10:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bitch pitch.

The pass into the end zone against Tulsa
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-05-11 10:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When a FG would’ve won it.

Get used to it indeed.

All time dumbest decision
by ndbob79  (2019-05-11 13:08:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with senior kicker on sideline who had not yet missed. Maybe Kelly thought he was due to miss.

Or going for 2 against Northwestern when up 11
by Tanderagee  (2019-05-11 18:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Again did not trust kickers, maybe with some justification. Believe we had missed one kick and bobbled another snap that day. But the book says when scoring to go up 11 late in the game, take the singleton. Naturally we didn't get the 2.

Northwestern of course got the TD, 2-pointer and FG to force OT, where they won.

Didn’t Kelly go for 2 against Clemson, missed the try
by Fasted68  (2019-05-11 22:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we lost the game by 1? Something like that. I was screaming at the tv as he was making his decision. Didn’t Kelly later say that he had consulted his highest authority or some shit

Yes, he went for 2 at beginning of 4th qtr at Clemson.
by MobileIrish  (2019-05-11 22:38:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That decision forced ND to go for 2 again at the end of the game. The turnovers didn’t help either.

That one could have worked out though.
by rockmcd  (2019-05-13 14:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you assume that every 2 point conversion attempt is going to fail, then obviously every 2 point conversion attempt is going to be dumb.

In the Clemson game, they were down 21-3 before scoring a TD with 14:13 left in the game, making it 21-9 pending the conversion attempt. At that point there were a lot of potential outcomes. One such outcome was that if they converted the 2-pt conversion with 14:13 left, then they would have only needed a 1-pt conversion at the end of the game to win the game outright.

Another way to look at it is this way. Knowing in hindsight that Clemson kicked a FG later in that game and assuming you'll make all your kicks (not completely certain in a rainstorm but let's go with this for sake of argument), Kelly had 4 different potential outcomes with respect to 2-point conversions:

(a) Go for 2 the first time and convert - Win the game in regulation.
(b) Don't attempt it the first time - Go to overtime and 50% chance to win.
(c) Fail to convert the first time, succeed the 2nd time - Go to overtime and 50% chance to win.
(d) Fail to convert 2 times in a row - Lose the game in regulation.

Since (b) and (c) give you the same result, the decision comes down to which is more likely: Going 1-for-1, or going 0-for-2? If my math is correct, the breakeven point is whether your average successful conversion rate is 38%. Going for it gives you a 38% chance of winning (by converting the first time), and it gives you a 38% chance of losing [62% chance they fail the first time, multiplied by 62% chance they fail the 2nd time = 38% chance they fail both times]. So if they're going to convert it more than 38% of the time on average, then Kelly made the right decision against Clemson.

As for the 2014 Northwestern game, that was just plain dumb.

Tommy Rees fumble on 1st & Goal at Michigan with 6 min
by Athlete37  (2019-05-11 09:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

left and a 3 point lead trying to lob a corner fade. Tommy Rees throwing an interception from around the 20 yard line in the final minute of the Tulsa game down 2 with an accurate kicker.

Letting Michigan go ~80 yards in 30 seconds to beat us in 11 (long pass play being the main culprit)

Blitzing Michigan State on 4th and 10 in 2000 to get burnt on a slant route that goes the distance for Sparty's four straight win over us

The two 2011 goal line fumbles that were taken back 99 yards: starting the season opening drive against USF and also occurring against USC in a game that we were badly outplayed but were still attempting to tie the game in the late third quarter I believe.

Having a blown play at Purdue in 1999 with a huge offensive line at like their 2 yard line and then listening to their crowd chant down 3!!!2!!!1!!! as our offense was scattered trying to spike the ball.

You had to remind me of 2000 MSU? *
by Irishtanker  (2019-05-12 16:24:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A great guy, but
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-11 09:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete Bercich letting the interception slip through his fingers against Fredo.

Hello darkness my old friend *
by IrishLep  (2019-05-14 16:48:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Painfully, this is the answer *
by GSDOMER  (2019-05-11 22:59:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My initial vote because it would have sealed an
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-11 13:51:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

undefeated season. I was there in person as well.

Has to be this, unfortunately. *
by RIBS  (2019-05-11 13:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Begins and ends with this post. Ugh. *
by Fifthhorseman  (2019-05-11 11:29:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

^ This, and nothing comes close. *
by 76AlumND  (2019-05-11 11:04:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knuckle ball FG for BC in '93 *
by 84david  (2019-05-11 09:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The one that has its own name
by undfan211  (2019-05-11 06:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bush Push

Sums up my ND career as a fan. Greatest game I've seen was L *
by squid  (2019-05-13 05:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that's the clear answer
by gordonbombay  (2019-05-11 18:55:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we're using the currently used definition of infamous - famously bad - that laps the field, even though it wasn't because of anything ND did wrong on that specific play.

The 4th & 9 before that might have even been worse *
by NDTommie  (2019-05-11 08:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed. That was the game *
by meatwhistle  (2019-05-13 10:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Failed conversion in 2007 vs. Navy
by GreenMonstah  (2019-05-11 01:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That loss, which I witnessed in person as a first-year law student, dropped us to a putrid 1-7 on the year; given the end of our win streak vs. Navy that might’ve been the absolute nadir of our program to date. It was absolutely the most hopeless I’ve ever felt since I started following ND.

I think Tulsa was the nadir
by gordonbombay  (2019-05-11 18:53:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

07 was a disaster, but it was always going to be bad given the talent on hand, Weis just made it worse.

Tulsa coming after a Navy blowout and Declan, falling to 4-5 against on paper one of the worst ND schedules of all time (although it didn't end up that bad), with a guy who at the time had won everywhere else as coach, really made me start to feel hopeless.

Incomplete pass call on fumble by USC QB late in 1978 game. *
by omaharic  (2019-05-10 23:34:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was 'dere....Montana's best "comeback"...homer job!! *
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-11 10:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I cried after that game (robbery)
by MDDomer  (2019-05-10 23:36:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heart breaking

3rd and 43 in 89? 4th and 9 in ‘05? *
by NJIrish04  (2019-05-10 23:09:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The play before that - where tried to pick up ball when not
by Btd  (2019-05-11 01:25:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Allowed to advance a fumble in college football at that time. That allowed that third down instead of ND first and goal on the 2. Two of the three plays in my lifetime that haunt me. He third is Pete B failing to catch the INT against BC in 1993.

You nailed it for me. The missed INT versus BC in 93, after
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-11 08:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we came back from so far behind, got the two points after TD. But for the mussed INT, Notre Dame would have had the title that year. Excruciating.

I don't that we would have won a title though
by pmac98  (2019-05-14 16:54:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rematch vs. FSU

Harder to beat that team twice especially without home field advantage.