I've gone radical on this..
by TWO (2019-05-15 10:19:11)

In reply to: NCAA forms a group to study image and likeness payments  posted by jt

I really believe that we need to totally do away with the whole amateur standing deal. I think that a kid should be able to get paid/accept money at any age. If a shoe company thinks my 6th grader is a future star and wants me to have him sign with them, to wear their gear then that's fine. If somebody wants to use him in a video or print ad endorsing my company or product, then they should be able to do without the State HS assoc declaring him/her ineligible, same for the NCAA.

Nobody tells my math prodigy kid that he can't take money from some gaming company to promote them even if he's on the school Math Olympics team or Local Theatre that hires my kid to be in a play doesn't eliminate him/her from being in the school play.

I would be OK if my kid signs with Nike to promote their products and Nike includes in the contract language that means they have to go to a school that is a Nike School.

Let it be the wild west, let'em make money, let boosters throw their money at them. Still make them abide by academic standards of the NCAA and the school they attend and be governed by what ever drug rules they have. Pro's have to do that, just having a Nike shoe contract doesn't mean you are immune to getting fined/suspended by whatever league you play.

Obviously some kids will make a ton, it might even ruin them getting so much money so early. Companies will make mistakes in giving kids their money, so be it.

Open it up totally. Just don't make them employees of the school.

Replies: