I'm not sure what compensation the kids deserve
by RoccoGlobboSchoolforWomen (2019-05-15 13:29:29)

In reply to: This fails to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room  posted by NJDoubleDomer

When you're talking video game likenesses or jersey sales with a particular kid's number, I can see the argument. But a lot of the money made in the industry (ticket sales, TV contracts, etc) is going to be made regardless of any particular player. Do you think Oklahoma football ticket sales or TV viewership is going to decline now that Kyler Murray has left?

I've always been on the "amateur athlete" side of this debate but I'd probably be open to some compensation (particularly the ability to sign a contract with an apparel company). But let's not act like the kids are the one producing all of the value in the industry here. The Universities are the entities that provide the stadium, coaching staff, fans, and TV exposure (in addition to education), all of which provides the platform which makes the player's likeness valuable in the first place.

I think all of this would be a lot less of a problem if kids could go to the NFL whenever they felt they were ready. And as much as I think that's what they should be allowed to do, I hope it never happens because college football is worth saving.