"That's what the money's for" - Couldn't agree more!
by ndzippy (2019-05-17 09:04:26)

In reply to: Coaches need to grow up.  posted by John@Indy

I couldn't care less about how much more "complicated" things have become for college football coaches. The average Power 5 coach now makes more than $3.5 million per year...that's more than enough money to offset the mental anguish that comes from trying to manage a team from year to year.

I like Dabo Swinney, but he's a perfect example of the hypocrisy contaminating the coaching ranks these days. First, his stance on players getting paid (he's not a fan):

"But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is."

Next, his stance on the transfer portal (also not a fan):

"We want a society with no consequences. OK, everybody says this coach makes a lot of money or that coach makes a lot of money," Swinney said via ESPN.com. "Somebody’s getting paid a lot of money, too. There’s consequences. There’s buyouts. There should be consequences. You deal with young people, sometimes young people need to learn how to hang in there a little bit."

And, finally, this:

"Clemson announced Friday that it has agreed to a 10-year, $93 million contract extension with coach Dabo Swinney that will keep him with the Tigers through the 2028 season. The new deal will pay him $8.25 million in 2019, and increase incrementally up to $10 million in 2027 and 2028. It is the richest coaching contract in college football history."

Give me a freaking break...

Replies: