ND Careers defined by a single play
by SixShutouts66 (2019-05-29 21:09:42)

Many athletes are remembered for a single play in their career. In many cases, such as Bill Buckner, a successful player is remembered primarily for a failure; or in others, an easily forgettable player is remembered for one single moment in the sun.

Which ND football player is now remembered for a single play that overshadowed everything else he did. Some examples:

Dick Lynch - TD run in game that snapped Oklahoma's 47 game unbeaten streak
Kinnon Tatum - goal line hit against USC
Bob Meeker - phantom hold against USC in 1964

Pinkett's 76 yard TD at #1 Pitt his freshman year *
by btd  (2019-06-10 14:14:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Greg Davis. *
by jakers  (2019-06-02 23:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rod Smith’s interception against Tennessee
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-05-31 23:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the 2 yard line with 50 seconds to go to preserve the road win.

That was the last game I went to with my dad (class of ‘48)

Ty Willingham. Punting at the BC 30 yard line.
by RallyingSon  (2019-05-31 17:24:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Officially from the 30. It happened right in front of me and I remember it being more like the 29).

George Streeter- Miami, Pat Eilers- Miami *
by Ajax  (2019-05-31 17:13:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here's some others
by SixShutouts66  (2019-05-31 14:37:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here are several others:

Olden Days:

1. John Lujack – touchdown-saving tackle against Army in the Game of the Century 0-0 tie. It’s not often a Heisman winner’s career is remembered for a single play
2. Joe Perkowski – Game winning FG in controversial 17-15 win over Syracuse. A roughing the kicker penalty was called on the original attempt as the clock expired. We were allowed an additional try, which was not in the rules at that time. Syracuse president request to Father Ted that we forfeit the win
3. Nick Eddy – Kickoff TD against Purdue in 1966. Purdue was very good, led by Bob Griese, and had scored a potentially back-breaking TD on a fumble return as we were scoring. Turned around the game in NC season.
4. Andy Pilney, Bill Shakespeare, and Wayne Millner – Last second touchdown against tOSU in 1935 in one of the first national radio broadcasts. Pilney was hurt on a last second scramble. Shakespeare tossed game-winning pass to Millner as we scored 3 TDs in last quarter to win 18-13.
5. Frank Varichione – Lineman from Leahy era and later good pro. We tied Iowa 14-14 in 1951. Our TDs were scored at the end of both halves abetted by the Fainting/Feinting Irish when linemen had injuries to enable clock stoppages and no TOs left.
6. Bill Gay (I think) – In another Leahy tie, this time with Southern Cal. He asked the ref how much time was left in the game before receiving the KO and when told there was 1:30 left, he said that was enough and returned the kick over 80 yards to set up tying score.

More recent
7. Stephon Tuit – outrunning Navy backfield on his fumble recovery touchdown
8. Shawn Wooden – pass breakup at the end of 31-24 victory over FSU
9. Trevor Laws and Darren Walls – 3 or 4 lateral TD interception at the end of the first half against Stanford that was nullified by a BS penalty against Trevor
10. Miles Boykin – predict the TD catch against LSU will fall in this list and perhaps the Finke catch against Michigan last year
11. Torii Hunter Jr – textbook missed targeting call
12. Luther Bradley (?)- welcoming Lynn Swann to South Bend
13. Terrell Lambert – 2006 MSU game interception. The ball had been batting and was lying on the back of the prone receiver. The camera view was blocked by players at the sideline, and the announcer called in incomplete, not realizing Terrell had grabbed the ball. His earlier pick-6 might have qualified them as we rallied from down 37-20 with little time left to 40-37.
14. Greg Davis – the questionable or borderline call on Rocket’s TD against Colorado
15. Huntley Bakich – Lou’s embarrassing sideline moment
16. Cam McDaniel – fumble while running out the clock, made worse by decision to go for 2 with an 11 point lead
17. Mike Ragone – chasing down a Washington State player trying to return a blocked extra point (might have preserved a shutout)
18. Steve Cichy – Blocked field goal TD against Houston in Joe’s “Chicken Soup” game that put us in range for a famous comeback

Dick Lynch TD vs Oklahoma 1957 *
by T-Bone  (2019-05-31 11:32:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Robin Weber in the Sugar Bowl
by Odschool  (2019-05-31 06:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That play defined ND for me until the day I attended ND
by Raoul  (2019-06-01 11:04:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and went to my first game (10+ years later). I was watching on TV and that is my most vivid ND college FB memory of the 1970's.

Weber's quotes about 'the catch'
by olson  (2019-05-31 08:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from a NY Times article

Robin Weber

"I had tackle shoulder pads, a lineman's cage face mask; and I had never caught a pass from Tom Clements-not even in practice."

and from another later article remembering that play

"Holy crap, Weber was thinking. They want me to run a 40 yd flag route? I've run that in sandlot football, but other than that..."

"The play almost never happened. Weber said he couldn't believe Notre Dame would call a play that might remotely involve him (Casper was the primary receiver)".

Convinced it was a mistake & ND had the wrong personnel on the field, Weber thought about calling timeout......

One other thing he said
by RocketShark  (2019-05-31 16:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was that the only reason people remember it and remember him is it was practically the last play of the game and the [tremendous] overall result.

I guess he was trying to keep it in perspective. But I still think of him as a hero.

Having been there
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-31 18:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I confirm his sentiment. If you remember, Casper made a magnificent catch of a lame duck throw over the middle to preserve a drive. And Thomas made the field goal, Hunter the long run, lots of heros! Others can talk about the defense for me.

Dan Shannon-tackle on kickoff against Sooners in 1952
by ND27-OK21  (2019-05-30 19:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND had just tied game at 21 all. Shannon's tackle, which we heard in the stands, separated Larry Grigg from the ball and led to ND's winning touchdown.

Yes *
by tjm  (2019-05-30 20:11:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scott Hempel
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-30 18:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my next door neighbor my freshman year. Nice, quiet guy. Kick bounced on cross bar and... fell back. Argh!

I was sitting near 50 yard line on USC side. Students had
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-31 10:48:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lined the field (at halftime)and had grabbed/pulled on the goal posts. IIRC, the ball hit dead center (middle) of the cross bar and bounce up and back. Hempel was a good kicker (straight on - old school). Game ended in a tie score.

Art Parisien ND QB
by olson  (2019-05-30 17:47:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Late in the very first ever USC-ND game-in the LA Coliseum....USC was leading 12-7

Rockne inserted little used (and little=5'6) left handed QB Art Parisien. Parsien drove ND down the field (60yds in 6 plays)-hitting HB John Niemiec with a 23 yd game winning td pass with less than a minute left.

Final ND 13 USC 12

Legend had it that the Trojans were fooled on the td pass-because Parisien rolled left & the USC defenders assumed little Art was running-not knowing that Parisien was left handed.

Good story...but...Parsien had already completed a 35 yd pass to Niemiec just 3 plays earlier...the Trojans were pretty stupid if they hadn't noticed that Art was left handed after the first pass.....

Parisien never threw another pass for Notre Dame-this was the final game of the season. Little Art transferred to Boston U after the semester.

Another player appearing in his final game that afternoon in the Coliseum was Trojan tackle Marion Morrison #24.

Morrison quit school soon after the ND game, took up acting, & changed his name to John Wayne.

Stupid, or just stuck in habits?
by ndtnguy  (2019-05-31 10:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was it that USC "thought" Parisien was passing, or that they were just habitually accustomed to left-side rollouts being runs, such that they didn't think about the fact that he was left handed?

The essence of the story sounds plausible, even if the usual explanation might be lacking in nuance.

Was Ward Bond on that U$C team? *
by D8NDomer  (2019-05-30 18:20:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, Ward Bond played vs ND in 1928,'29 & '30=#14 tackle *
by olson  (2019-05-30 19:41:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my all-time favorite actors. *
by RocketShark  (2019-05-31 09:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

David Grimes - the Pac-12-stolen catch vs Stanford
by gordonbombay  (2019-05-30 15:58:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a relevant play in real terms, but that's certainly what comes to mind first when his name comes up.

It defined instant reply for me. *
by Revue Party  (2019-06-01 18:59:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kinnon Tatum vs USC in 1995 (link)
by doug dascenzo  (2019-05-30 15:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My vote *
by mattchell  (2019-06-01 16:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pat Terrell “knocking it away” vs Miami * *
by BeatPS0607  (2019-05-30 15:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn't define career, but when I see/hear the name "Penick"
by GeronimoRumplestiltskin  (2019-05-30 14:21:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think of his 85-yard TD scamper vs. USC in '73...

I think "tutor."
by Revue Party  (2019-06-01 18:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's done a kick ass job with the Dallas Club's Tutoring program. The work he does for kids is incredibly impressive.

I was @ a funeral last week & a guy brought that game up
by rhodyjack  (2019-05-31 13:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was meeting friends of relatives & my sister mentioned that I was an ND grad & this guy from Cleveland said he was at the Penick game. "Ran right past me on the ND side of the stadium." I was at that game as well.

...and Lindsey Nelson with the call... *
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-31 10:52:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rob McGarry vs. Purdue 1980
by TimNeely  (2019-05-30 13:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The first carry of his career, he ran for one yard and scored a touchdown. It also turned out to be the *only* carry of his career. I don't know if it's still true, but at one time, he was the only Notre Dame player whose only career carry was for a touchdown.

Marc Edwards fumble against BC in 1994 ended the Holtz era.
by domer4  (2019-05-30 13:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In retrospect, at that moment, the golden era of 1988-93 came to a close.

Stan Smagala INT return @USC 1988 *
by NDCuse  (2019-05-30 12:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good choice. I was in Section 2, lower peristyle end zone
by usmcirish  (2019-05-30 21:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he was running right at me on that return. Lousy seats, but the best view of that play.

Ivory Covington against Army on the two point conversion *
by domer86  (2019-05-30 12:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eric Pennick, 85 yd. TD run against Southern Cal, 1973 *
by HoundDog1973  (2019-05-30 11:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Deke Cooper
by RoosRule  (2019-05-30 11:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4th down stop at the goal line vs BC in 1998

#1 Harry O, #2 Quinn to the Shark Ucla Game *
by ndharvey  (2019-05-30 10:53:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Smardzija set td and receiving-yard records
by ndtnguy  (2019-05-31 10:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's hard to say that his career was defined by that one---indisputably fantastic---play.

My buddy shut it off before that play
by fastenatingguy  (2019-06-01 16:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And didn't realize until Monday that we won

Robert Hughes v Gallipo USC 2010
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-05-30 10:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That final drive was a work of art. The Robert Hughes express train could not be stopped and blew through the Gallipo stop on the way to tocuhdown-ville.

Tom Zbikowski punt return against USC - 2005
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-05-30 10:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know he had many positive moments for the team but this one sticks out above all others for me. It encapsulated his spirit as a player as it would have taken Zeus himself to keep him from reaching the end zone. No way he was going down.

I like his strip TD against MSU better
by DBCooper  (2019-05-30 12:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just took the ball right out of the running backs hands. Loved that.

Thank you
by HTownND  (2019-05-30 11:16:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I need to watch that play more often.

It was deafening inside the stadium for that return. Pandemonium. It was the first time I thought to myself, this is what it must have been like for Miami in 88.

I've told the story before
by gordonbombay  (2019-05-30 15:56:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But after the insane celebration in the stadium for Zbikowski's punt return, I somehow ended up several rows below (or above, I can't even remember which) where my seats were.

I literally lost my voice for 3 days after that game. An amazing experience only slightly ruined by the loss.

FHSUIrish stood beside me as Zibby ran almost right at us.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-06-03 08:41:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our seats were on the wall in that endzone at the hashmark. When Zibby pulled his jersey and pointed to the ND it was literally right in front of us.

Two years later when Jon got a dog (a Vizsla) to help distract him during his chemo, there was only one choice for a name...Zibby. That dog didn't always see eye to eye with me. In fact when my brother spent recovery time with my folks on their farm, that dog would go out of his way to crap in my old room.

After Jon passed in 2009, Zibby mellowed a bit and we had a good relationship after. I would care for him whenever my parents needed a dog sitter. In the last few months, poor Zib could barely get up off his bed. Gone was the dog that needed crazy long hikes to get him to settle. Last time I watched him I had to carry him up and down my front steps because he couldn't go up and down any more. He finally passed away a few weeks ago. He was a good dog and hopefully is now fetching sticks for Jon and pointing butterflies.

Bob Crable's FG block against the skunkbears (link)
by PattyMulligan  (2019-05-30 10:23:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disagree about "defining"
by Khaddafi  (2019-06-01 11:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Crable is still the all-time leader in tackles at ND. His hit in the Sugar Bowl that separated Herschel Walker's shoulder and, perhaps better, his hit against Charles White in ND Stadium (Oct 1981) were among the dozens of intimidating, great plays made by Crable.

Time tends to make us forget the body of work.

Crable was neither a "one hit" nor "one block" wonder.

Bobby Brown...Bull$hit Unsportsmanlike Penalty at UM *
by MR_IRISH  (2019-05-30 09:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"moose ears".... *
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-31 10:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn’t there also a late hit on the ensuing kickoff?
by bluengold07  (2019-05-30 12:27:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND/The refs game UM 30 yards in penalties to start that drive.

Frank Stams - drilling Rodney Peete
by Irish Jim  (2019-05-30 09:49:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loved that. I remember Peete getting up (barely) and pulling
by other_guy  (2019-05-30 10:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a rather large piece of sod (remember that?) out of his face guard!

Johnny 'One Play' O'Brien vs. Army 1928 *
by oldtownirish  (2019-05-30 09:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reggie Brooks - Michigan 92 TD * (link)
by spunkmeier  (2019-05-30 09:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Derek Brown is a decent Buckner comparison. Both good
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-05-30 09:21:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

players, both of their infamous plays have gotten an unfair label from some. Buckner didn't cost the Red Sox the World Series and calling the Brown play a drop is a bit harsh, especially for a tight end.

I hate thinking about those losses in '90.

Remember Tony Roberts call on the play. IIRC, Lou Holtz had
by harv79pangborn  (2019-05-31 10:57:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

drawn the play up in the grass on the sidelines during the timeout.

Chris Brown vs. OU. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-05-30 09:21:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harry Oliver’s 51 yd game winning kick over scUM in ‘80 *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-30 08:22:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Harry Oliver *
by SorinBasement  (2019-05-30 08:22:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course *
by Domer84  (2019-06-05 23:04:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jim Sanson - Texas *
by MR_IRISH  (2019-05-30 07:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or USC *
by reagan84  (2019-05-30 08:19:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so true *
by MR_IRISH  (2019-05-30 09:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So awful. *
by usmcirish  (2019-05-30 21:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ray Zellars vs. Purdue in '94 (link)
by RIBS  (2019-05-30 07:45:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2018 that would have been called targeting. It wasn’t.
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-31 14:01:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the opposing coach would have been so humiliated that his player got trucked on national television that he would threaten a walkout unless Zellars got ejected.

The only time that I was in the stadium that....
by NJND96  (2019-05-30 09:25:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wished that there was a video board so I could confirm what I just saw.

going into that game
by ram  (2019-05-30 08:49:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they overhyped Purdue's FB and I think it motivated Mr. Zellars

Mike Alstott
by RIBS  (2019-05-30 09:49:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was worthy of the hype.

Purdue's best all-time player not named Woodson or a QB
by Prof_Frink  (2019-05-30 11:03:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is to say, Alstott is the tallest midget.

My favorite *
by wildesilas  (2019-05-30 08:29:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shifting Gears, but Dwight Clay *
by JSDomer  (2019-05-30 05:51:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glen Earl *
by Nathan  (2019-05-30 00:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Irv Smith...dragging IU defenders to endzone. *
by Norm  (2019-05-30 00:03:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love that play *
by Santos L Halper  (2019-05-30 07:55:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete Bercich against Boston College 1993
by LADomer  (2019-05-29 23:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Missed interception to "ice the game". Obviously not his fault entirely that BC marched down the field in no time at all to get the game winning field goal.

It erased an amazing effort by Kevin McDougal who does not get enough credit for his tremendous season (out of nowhere) in 1993

Have to agree.
by SXSW  (2019-05-30 11:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As noted, Pete had a great Notre Dame career and made some fantastic plays. But for anyone who saw it in 1993, there is no way, if they are honest, that they can hear "Pete Bercich" and not think of what would have been if he had closed his fingers a split second sooner on that 1993 BC pass and made that interception. I think I thought of that play everyday for a year afterwards. It shouldm't have, but the fact is that the game, the incredible comeback to take the lead after being listless all game, and the national championship came down to that single play. And he just didn't make it. It still haunts me.

Only if you started following ND football that play. *
by Bruno95  (2019-05-30 07:24:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and stopped.
by Flann  (2019-05-30 09:00:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete had a diving interception in the 4th quarter of a tied game in the Cotton Bowl that in a just world would have won the national championship.

The fact that I don't remember that kind of proves the point
by LADomer  (2019-05-30 13:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of this game. I have probably had 10 people mention Bercich's missed int vs. BC over the years and not one (until you) mention the one in the Cotton Bowl

Bill Buckner had some great moments too, but the one people remember defines him in the eyes of most fans

It proves a point, alright. *
by Bruno95  (2019-05-30 20:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, yeah. But Bill Buckner's just a ballplayer
by Flann  (2019-05-30 20:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete is a fellow alumnus (and a good guy). Also, it's not like Buckner made a run saving defensive play in game 7.

Rudy - one game - one play - one tackle. *
by NDTwice  (2019-05-29 23:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good Pat Dillingham and Bad Pat Dillingham *
by IrishGeek  (2019-05-29 22:49:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still see that bad pass in my nightmares. Egads. *
by Wooderson  (2019-05-30 07:52:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It happened right in front of me
by notredomer2005  (2019-05-30 09:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember thinking "did he just hand the ball off to boston college?"

Jim Bulger to Clarence Ellis in the 1971 Cotton Bowl.
by ArasEra  (2019-05-29 22:48:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fast Forward to 7:33

Great call *
by oldtownirish  (2019-05-30 09:47:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shows Ara's prep - having that play ready for an injury *
by ND740305  (2019-05-30 08:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Robin Webber. From Clements. *
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-29 22:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-05-30 07:53:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ambrose Wooden on 4th and 9 against USC in 2005 *
by Maud-Dib  (2019-05-29 22:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had good coverage *
by DBCooper  (2019-05-30 08:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No matter how many replays and angles I see of that play...
by CMillar  (2019-05-30 09:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I still can't puzzle out how it made it through his arm.

Some sort of dark sorcery is the only explanation.

Ah, man, come on. Ouch. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-29 23:38:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate to say Dillingham
by nd06  (2019-05-29 22:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had that epic game winner against MSU to Battle, but...Josh Ott

Ivory Covington tackle at the goal line vs. Army. (link)
by Em_525  (2019-05-29 22:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was he from Jersey?
by PaulsboroNJIrish  (2019-05-30 12:32:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were two brothers I remember who wrestled and played football in South Jersey, Kip and Damien Covington. They were two of the best athletes I've ever seen in this area.

“The low man wins”. Loved that play. *
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-29 22:33:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Total block in the back by #79 on the TD *
by El Kabong  (2019-05-29 22:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Koyak against Stanford in 2014 *
by bluengold07  (2019-05-29 22:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Emmett Mosley fumble at Ohio State in 1995
by Athlete37  (2019-05-29 21:23:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think he was a star of either the Texas or Washington won earlier in the month with a return for a touchdown. This play swung momentum hard, as we were up 20-14 getting the ball back in the second half and proceeded to get routed 45-26