Great for Rocky, but why isn't Arike on this list vs Henning
by Domerduck (2019-06-10 14:01:47)

In reply to: The actual list of the top-10 athletes in WI HS history.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

-who was good but not a legend like Arike. In Wisconsin high school Arike scored more than Henning in her career and was dominant her senior year winning the state championship (see liked article). To me Arike had a better All American college career as she became the all time scoring leader at ND. Henning was a point guard at Stanford and is not on any of Stanford( top 10 scoring lists, but she still has their career record for assista, 2nd for steals, and 7th for minutes played.

Both women won NC their junior years and both were tops in their conference,Still Arike's Final 4 exploits and records make her better here. Beyond college and high school, they both won World championship Gold on USA teams in high school. The only difference was, Henning was a standout pro while Arike is just starting her pro career. Still I doubt Henning will make the basketball HOF, which I think Arike has a good chance to make if she has a reasonable pro career (ala Ruth Riley). They both were legends at ND.

As for other sports, they mentioned Sonja's high school exploits in track, but Arike was a standout in soccer. Her soccer coach, a 25-year veteran, said she was the best player he's ever directed as Arike was part of four Wisconsin State Cup-winning soccer teams. Starting junior year she gave up soccer to focus on bball, which ND certainly benefitted on as well as her high school team. In fact on Arike' Wikipedia it mentions her as the best women's overall athlete in the ACC "Shortly after the end of the 2017–18 school year, the Atlantic Coast Conference named her as its female Athlete of the Year across all sports, sharing honors with men's winner Lamar Jackson of Louisville football."

I am sure having two ND athlete's may have been a problem when they made this list and clearly all the other folks on the list played ihigh schooln the last century. Bennett and Henning are the only athletes who even played pros in this century. Although Favor did run in the 2000 Olympics before she took on her more infamous career post athletics.

If Arike does well in the pros, I'd say she should replace Henning on future lists.

Also congrats to Rocky.