Happy birthday to Joe Montana
by jt (2019-06-11 12:43:23)

the best qb I have ever seen.

Saw Joe at my airport recently
by NicevilleFlIrish  (2019-06-12 23:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I say "my airport" because I work there. Joe is not very happy with BK! He said if BK was in front of him he would knock his lights out. Saw Theisman here a few days ago. He was in better spirits than Joe.

Saw him at Pebble on Friday
by mitquinn  (2019-06-16 01:14:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sporting a shoulder sling from recent surgery. He was in good spirits.

Theismann is a great guy to visit with *
by oldtownirish  (2019-06-13 13:51:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heard similar stuff from BK’s first ND QB
by son of galway  (2019-06-13 00:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very hard feelings toward the man.

wow, is this a pretty prevalent attitude
by ColoNDFan  (2019-06-13 16:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

amongst FB alum? And not just posters here?

Yes
by Jvan  (2019-06-13 17:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly alienated many former players in his early years at ND, and to date he has failed to win most of them back.

His footwork resembled a seasoned
by goldhelmethead  (2019-06-12 11:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ballroom dancer. Most likely because of his hoops background.

He sure threw a pretty ball.

threw it from a mound, too
by ram  (2019-06-12 14:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I recently came across some box scores from my high school in local papers and found several vs. Ringgold (Joe's HS).

IIRC, there was one no hitter and one 2 hit shutout

But could he compete with Matt Leinart
by Irish 1978  (2019-06-12 14:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the ballroom floor?

absolutely because of his basketball background IMO
by jt  (2019-06-12 12:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a coach tell me once that when he was recruiting qb's he always looked for a kid that had been point guard on the basketball team first and, failing that, a kid who had at least been on the basketball team.

He felt that the footwork required to play that position necessitated a basketball background and a kid that was used to being the middle guy on the fast break and distributing the ball would be the best guy to lead a complex passing attack with multiple options.

Not sure how important coaches still view that--for one, a lot of kids don't play multiple sports anymore past 7th grade, there isn't as much under center qb play below college anymore and footwork isn't as important (until you get to the NFL, of course), and there aren't as many reads required in the passing spread college and high school offenses any longer (again, that comes in the NFL).

He was a hell of a Bookstore BB player...
by Scoop80  (2019-06-12 15:02:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rusty Lisch was also impressive in Bookstore.

As to the wrestling point raised downthread, Bob Golic was an A-A heavyweight wrestler AND an A-A LB at the same time. The '78 MSU game in E. Lansing featured an impressive array of multi-sport talent--Montana and Golic for ND and A-A WR Kirk Gibson of MSU.

Lou liked his O-Line to be wrestlers, I know that. Reasons
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-12 16:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are obvious.

Bookstore Basketball
by 96_ND  (2019-06-12 20:06:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was more than one occasion in which competing Bookstore basketball teams would each have an offensive lineman from the football team. For periods during the game it would become 4 vs 4 while the two lineman decided to wrestle each other on the court.

Memories ... like the corners of my mind ...
by 1NDGal  (2019-06-12 21:30:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sniffle.

I am not making fun. I am wistful for that glorious time.

light *
by PWK2  (2019-06-14 11:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our coach did the same - and wanted wrestlers on the lines
by graNDfan  (2019-06-12 12:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny how we had an excellent wrestling program and a good basketball program but sucked at football.....

yeah, but wrestling is different
by jt  (2019-06-12 17:02:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you pretty much have to be an asshole to want to do it and you don't have to be an asshole to play on the line (but it helps).

Basically, if you have the temperament it is a good fit but it won't just make you a good lineman (contrary to popular coaching belief).

What do you mean?
by stanford_07  (2019-06-12 17:49:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wrestling is infinitely harder than football. So yes, you must have a near-crazy work ethic to be any good at it.

But wrestlers, by and large, aren't assholes. They're inherently modest. No matter how good of a wrestler you were, the most common question they get involve ring worm, "starving yourself" and "touching sweaty guys." And that's only after they tell people they wrestled.

Dan Gable, the greatest American wrestling figure of all time, can walk into just about any room and go unnoticed.

I mean that you have to be practically crazy
by jt  (2019-06-12 18:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to want to do that (or box, for that matter). You don't have to be that way to play on the OL or DL (though it helps).

And I wrestled for quite some time. And Dan Gable was a client at my former firm's Iowa City office and I met him many times; very nice dude, just super intense about everything. Very sad story as well.

Totally agree
by stanford_07  (2019-06-12 18:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wrestling rewards a nearly psychotic devotion to physical fitness. You can be good at football without really trying too hard. Not the same with wrestling.

So cool you met Gable. I go to the NCAA tournament most years and have met him a few times through mutual acquaintances. He's oddly normal in appearance considering how dominant he was.

And the story of his sister's death is really sad. But there's no greater motivator. If you haven't seen it, this video of him and his "Rocky Gym" really sums up the guy's intensity. He's 65 years old! And still works out like a mad man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=627iLLSwhlg&t=

I was told but have never verified
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-06-12 16:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that those with a wrestling background have the highest pass rate compared to other sports for special operations schools in the military (SFAS, Ranger school, BUD/S, MARSOC A&S, etc.). Swimmers are supposedly second, even excepting BUD/S. I 100% believe it just from observation.

The best soldier I ever came across was a college wrestler. He was smart and disciplined and beyond crazy. He could donkey kong climb (dual rope) a 35 foot wall like it was nothing, among many other things. Spent most of his career in special operations of various sorts.

Maybe he shouldn't have put 112-, 118, and 126-pound
by irishbantam  (2019-06-12 14:04:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wrestlers on the line?

Our coaches wanted all the football players to wrestle
by tf86  (2019-06-12 12:26:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would've had no interest in wrestling otherwise.

every football coach ever has wanted that
by jt  (2019-06-12 17:03:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a former wrestler I always disagreed. It takes a certain personality to really like that grind.

I'd make any lineman who couldn't make basketball
by irishrock  (2019-06-12 13:24:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team go out for wrestling in the winter...learn great leverage, core workouts with pushups/situps, and just being physical with dudes their size. Then I'd have them kill it in the weight room in the spring/summer (I'd actually encourage some of them to play rugby in the spring to stay in great shape and keep up the physicality but would not require it)

This could not help but make my football team better.

Disagree
by tf86  (2019-06-13 17:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I see it, the trend today has been to encourage elite athletes to concentrate on just one sport. Granted, in this context we're not talking exclusively about elite athletes, but still . . .

if they can't make the basketball team they are not elite
by irishrock  (2019-06-14 22:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd bet they weren't even close.

Fwiw . . .
by tf86  (2019-06-19 13:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our wrestling team used to dominate our league, for the most part (back then, the Catholic schools played in the same league as the city schools. But the really elite wrestling programs were in outer ring suburbs and rural areas.) But our football team was only mediocre.

If your life depended on it,
by The Oak  (2019-06-12 10:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and you had to pick one quarterback to start the Super Bowl, Super Joe is the only answer.

Joe Montana is the greatest ever and that includes Tom Brady *
by irish-al  (2019-06-12 15:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

say hello to my little friend *
by 84david  (2019-06-12 08:16:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, but he's an asshole to fantasy campers *
by Rocket7  (2019-06-11 20:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope he tells them "Get a life, will you people?"
by sprack  (2019-06-12 13:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You, you must be over 30. Have you ever kissed a girl? So move out of your parents' basements, and get your own apartments, and grow the hell up!"

Still one of the best SNL skits of all time.
by austindomer  (2019-06-12 13:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You had to know that Shatner had been wanting to say that for a LONG time.

What'd he do after he left Notre Dame? *
by Dadknuknutesson  (2019-06-11 12:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Others have also wondered (link) (link)
by Irish 1978  (2019-06-11 15:09:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So good! *
by ndzippy  (2019-06-11 17:12:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only one of them made it to the Rudy movie. *
by domer4  (2019-06-11 20:04:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing according to Patriot fans
by graNDfan  (2019-06-11 14:57:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kid....

Nothing according to Michigan fans.
by domer4  (2019-06-11 15:27:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And you don't kid.

Threw his life away playing ball *
by PattyMulligan  (2019-06-11 14:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He works in the equipment room.
by OCND  (2019-06-11 14:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Polishes helmets. That much I know.

The Godfather and Criminal Minds I believe. *
by NDMike2001  (2019-06-11 13:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post