B...mainly b/c my definition of "better things" has evolved
by ndzippy (2019-07-08 20:45:20)

In reply to: RH Viewership Poll  posted by 53stackmonster

The version of me from 10 years ago would probably be pretty disgusted with the kind of fan I've turned into, but that 10-year evolution has been driven by several factors:

1. Watching ND over the past decade simply hasn't been as much "fun" as it was in the years that preceded it. The live game day experience has been overly Disney-fied, and gotten much too expensive. There are too many shitty games on the schedule, and we lose too many of them. And the program--along with its current head coach--carries too damn much baggage, which saps enjoyment out of even the (infrequent) big wins.

2. College football, in general, is less enjoyable now. Exploited players, dirtbag coaches, locked-out teams, buy games, TV networks dictating kickoff times, etc. have all been net negatives for the sport. I think even the playoff mode has been a net negative, and I certainly wouldn't have predicted that 10 years ago.

3. I've got kids now, and I enjoy spending time with them more than I enjoy watching the Irish on TV. When those two options conflict, hanging with the kids wins. I thought I'd always build my fall schedules around the Irish football team, but that's not what's happened...and I'm totally fine with that.

Replies: