USC schedules first FCS foe - it's down to ND and UCLA.
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-07-12 15:42:29)

For years, USC has proudly hung its hat on the fact that it has never played a game against a team from the FCS. Come 2021, the Land of Troy will be able to crow no more on that front as USC announced Friday that it will play UC Davis that season.

With the announcement, it leaves Notre Dame and UCLA as the only FBS schools that have never scheduled a game against an FCS team

Ken O'Brien has a game of eligibility left. *
by usmcirish  (2019-07-15 11:06:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you know who coaches UC Davis, don't you?
by jt  (2019-07-14 00:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dan Hawkins.

Rumor has it that he was nearly ND's coach in 2005.

This ain’t intramural brother. *
by MobileIrish  (2019-07-14 01:10:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“IT’S DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-07-14 10:31:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well....sort of, anyway.”

in all seriousness, Davis plays D1 teams all the time
by jt  (2019-07-14 10:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that they definitely play Cal this year, and perhaps Stanford also. They beat Stanford one time, before Harbaugh got there.

It's been a pretty serious program for a while; they were a division 2 power for years and then moved up to 1AA and I think that they're still pretty good. Hawkins is a very good coach for that level. I think that it would be FAN-TASTIC if they came into LA and beat the Trojans.

Hell, if they beat Southern Cal, they would automatically...
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-07-14 15:49:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

become my all-time 2nd-favorite team. Or at least tied with App State.

someone reminded me today
by jt  (2019-07-14 16:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Davis has actually had some down years recently. Eh, maybe they'll suck.

I don't doubt that UCLA will follow
by Kayo  (2019-07-13 09:43:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chip Kelly got Oregon to start scheduling FCS teams. He'll do the same at UCLA.

Notre Dame better not follow suit. Not having the conference championship game already is used as a negative for playoff consideration, unfairly considering all other teams playing an FCS game but used nonetheless. ND cannot weaken its schedule further. That's the ACC's job.

There’d be 80,000 empty seats at the Rose Bowl for that
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-07-16 00:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even with Chip Kelly’s predilections, I’d expect UCLA to schedule San Jose State 10 years in a row before they schedule an FCS opponent.

Remember when we scored 3 points against NCSt?
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-07-13 19:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then followed that up with scoring 3 points against Clemson?

Mmmmm.....Kellyball.....

It was all Mustipher's fault!
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-07-14 12:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not my fault that my center couldn't snap in the shotgun in a hurricane. It's not like you can go under center or something.

Hurricanes will do that to you.
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-14 09:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Air Kelly!

And the ACC is good at that, bless their hearts. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-13 10:31:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe this is one of Urbie's demands. *
by ArasEra  (2019-07-12 21:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How long before our AD schedules a FCS team? *
by MobileIrish  (2019-07-12 15:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We do a variation off that theme and call it ACC opponents *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-13 17:10:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Tar Heel is a vicious animal, ok? *
by Irish Tool  (2019-07-14 07:18:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never *
by Leahy  (2019-07-13 15:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weeks *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-07-12 23:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think it happens. USC fans aren't happy about this.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-07-12 16:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Example #1 linked and I'm sure others can find more colorful language.

This is so true
by Buckyd9  (2019-07-13 12:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have many USC fans and this stat was often worn as a "Badge of Honor."

We don't schedule FCS teams was often bragged about by both ND fans and USC fans at all our tailgates. When I brought this up yesterday, the anger and disgust was palpable. It was just another in the long list of kicks to the fruit stand that USC fans have had to deal with in the post-Carroll era. Not only does ND get to proclaim this still, but so does UCLA and that REALLY pisses off the USC fans (even though I don't see UCLA being able to claim this for much longer).

I know this latest scheduling BS really has their fans pissed because, like us, SC fans are passionate (and somewhat manic) but I couldn't imagine what this board would be like if Savvy did this to ND. New Mexico is close enough.

I hope you’re right.
by MobileIrish  (2019-07-12 17:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MAC teams now regularly appear on the schedule. Let’s hope ND refrains from scheduling FCS teams.

USC fans put Swann’s USC jersey on a barbecue and torched
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-12 17:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it last December. They wanted Helton to be fired, Swann refused. Not sure he even noticed the jersey incident.

I truly don’t think Savvy will schedule — or if he would, he would not be permitted to schedule — an FCS team. But if he did, what could we do about it? He seems to care not a whit about all of the cancelled season tickets, the soft ticket markets, or the decline in alumni donations of the smaller variety. Whatever happens, his toes are still tappin’. And that’s why he’s Savvy Jack.