They are laying grass in ND Stadium for the soccer game.
by 1NDGal (2019-07-15 13:12:15)

On top of plastic. Is the fake turf under that plastic? How long can grass live on top of plastic? How is it that “our kids love” fake turf (I’m paraphrasing Savvy) but the English Premier League said “no freaking way” and ND is so amenable to complying?

So many questions.

Sod on! *
by Kbyrnes  (2019-07-16 13:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This reopens an old wound
by NJDoubleDomer  (2019-07-15 17:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly wields more power than is warranted by a legacy that probably should have seen him fired twice for cause. Artificial turf is one example of that power. While I believe we landed on the moon, the conspiracy theorist in me strongly suspects there's something sinister just beneath the surface allowing Kelly to survive and dictate football decisions outside his pay grade.

ND wanted to use the stadium for additional events...
by BigNDfan  (2019-07-16 09:51:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to make even more money. It wasn't a Kelly decision, but of course he wanted it.

Because it's impossible to host additional events...
by KevinG  (2019-07-16 10:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...with a grass surface

https://www.songkick.com/venues/4616-wrigley-field/gigography

https://www.songkick.com/venues/14732-soldier-field/gigography

Some people just love chowing down on the warm bowls of shit served them by ND's leaders.

It's not impossible...
by BigNDfan  (2019-07-16 13:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Soldier Field looks like shit most of the year because of it.

Turf allows for a lot more flexibility.

Total nonsense
by HTownND  (2019-07-16 15:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) Soldier Field doesn't look like shit
2) It's not because of outside events (they don't schedule other events in Soldier Field in January)

This notion that fields look like shit is comical and not true. It looks just like a grass field that football is played on, with some wear.

I'm not sure when people decided that fields that look like they've been played on, look like shit.

Outside of Oakland, no NFL grass fields, "look like shit". And Oakland, it's only because they are idiots about sharing the Colliseum with the A's, which makes their field look like shit.

There is something sinister.
by NDBass  (2019-07-15 19:51:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something sinister and savvy.

There is something evil
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-15 19:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something evil and savvy

There is something savvy
by ArasEra  (2019-07-15 22:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something savvy and shanty.

There is something shanty.
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-16 07:18:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something shanty and phony.

There is something phony
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-07-16 13:03:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phony and baloney.

There is something baloney
by ArasEra  (2019-07-16 15:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has a first name spelled O-S-C-A-R.

It has a second name spelled M-A-Y-E-R.

My dad was a baloney connoisseur. When he ate out,
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-16 15:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he always demanded center-cut baloney with his Grey Poupon.

Eckrich jumbo. Top shelf baloney. *
by ArasEra  (2019-07-16 20:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The EPL has nothing to do with this match *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-07-15 17:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s an EPL team v. a team from Germany in an “International
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-15 17:39:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Preseason Game”. Or an “international preseason soccer friendly at Notre Dame Stadium,” per und.com.

Not a soccer person, I admit.

It’s not an EPL game, you’re right.

They just have no say over the surface
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-07-15 17:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Liverpool and BVB would've been cool with fake grass, then that's what they'd be playing on.

Of course. Which is part of my point, really. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-15 17:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why wouldn't Prem league just DQ ND because of no grass?
by Voisman  (2019-07-15 16:25:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are plenty of places with decent size to play with grass already there.

Fenway Sports Group wanted iconic stadiums for the tour
by fontoknow  (2019-07-15 16:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure there are also issues related to the Intercontinental Cup

Ah well it doesn't get more "iconic" *
by Voisman  (2019-07-15 22:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, they said they wanted “ironic” *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-16 08:37:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ironic not iconic *
by Voisman  (2019-07-16 14:13:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty damn Byronic if you ask me *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-07-16 12:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently, formerly iconic qualifies. *
by cmhirish  (2019-07-15 22:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More iconic than new new Yankee stadium *
by fontoknow  (2019-07-16 07:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Missed opportunity to wear gaudy pinstripes *
by TCIrish03  (2019-07-16 09:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great point. I assume Liverpool will don special uniforms...
by KevinG  (2019-07-16 12:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...which give a nod to their very special hosts? Very shitastic in design for their shitstorming game?

The kids will love it
by HTownND  (2019-07-16 15:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Liverpool sure to sign all the top transfers because of it

natural grass is a requirement for int'l soccer
by quasimodo  (2019-07-15 16:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Seahawks stadium while, being considered, was promoted as bringing world cup level soccer to Seattle.

After approval and construction, some people were upset to find that artificial turf was put in and we also found out that WC soccer and many major int'l clubs require real turf.

When the WC was in the US some decades ago, many stadiums did this same grass/plastic turn thing so it's not unusual at all.

Q

It's easier to flop on. *
by Bacchus  (2019-07-16 12:51:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Women's World Cup in 2015.
by TWO  (2019-07-15 17:39:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Played in Canada, exclusively on artificial turf. Of the 6 stadiums, one actually had natural grass, but they tore it out to put in the fake stuff.

Women weren't exactly happy about it though.

Seems efficient. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2019-07-15 14:39:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would assume they took the fake turf out...
by BigNDfan  (2019-07-15 14:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

similar to what they've done for other events in the stadium. In then takes about a week to set it back up.

They brought in grass for the game in Ann Arbor last year as well.

they cover the fake turf with substrate
by fontoknow  (2019-07-15 14:39:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looks a lot like playroom flooring that snaps together.

This is what they do for graduation, and what they did for Garth and the Hockey game.

From another picture, just covered with plastic *
by fontoknow  (2019-07-15 15:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they did that for Garth? Sch-winnnnnng
by jt  (2019-07-15 14:47:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

party on Wayne

It could stop the plastic grass from growing. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-07-15 13:51:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Danger, Jack Savvy!
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-15 13:24:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There isn't anything hypocritical about this.
by ndroman21  (2019-07-15 15:03:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm certain that a natural grass surface was a requirement of Liverpool and Dortmund in agreeing to play the game.

That doesn't necessarily mean that artificial turf is the wrong surface for ND stadium.

Savvy's a phony baloney. Always was and always will be.
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-16 07:29:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This doesn't mean he doesn't have his supporters. To wit, his position with USAG being hunky-dory with the PTB. Remember when many if not most here thought he was toast because of it.

They should keep it as turf but bring in sod for home games
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen  (2019-07-15 20:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure the $$ numbers wouldn't work out in ND's favor but if can bring real grass in for Liverpool they should bring real grass in for Notre Dame fooball

Very interesting point.
by SWPaDem  (2019-07-16 07:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's good enough for some euroweenie operation - no Brexit yet - why isn't it good enough for the USA?!!!

Not sure what you're trying to say here
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen  (2019-07-17 22:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's political why don't you leave it on that board?

it posotively is the wrong surface *
by ACross  (2019-07-15 17:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't disagree, but this circumstance doesn't prove it. *
by ndroman21  (2019-07-15 17:26:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it certainly is evidence against fake turf *
by ACross  (2019-07-16 02:17:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is evidence against fake turf as a surface for a sport ..
by Rocksteady74  (2019-07-16 15:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... in which the ball is played on the ground. The ball rolls more slowly and spins differently on fake grass, which is the reason ground crews will often water the fake turf before games and at half time.

This post is not intended to endorse fake turf for football, as I really don't care much about that topic.

I simply wonder why ND cares less about our guys’ knees than
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-15 16:21:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the EPL cares about its guys’ knees. And I find it interesting that, for a fee, ND will put in grass when demanded by the EPL but won’t support grass for home games played by its #1 (by revenue) sport.

I’ve linked one study here. I know a *very* accomplished knee surgeon who dismisses all debate on the topic — turf increases the incidence and severity of tears in knee ligaments.

Knee injuries aren't the only consideration.
by ndroman21  (2019-07-15 17:08:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Neither for the EPL (or the Bundesliga, or FIFA for that matter) or for ND.

It may factor in, but I'm fairly certainly that the ball's reaction to the playing surface is far more important to the soccer governing bodies.

That's less important in football for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless, the Synopsis is interesting. I'm glad it's still being studied.

The coach thinks it helps win games
by BmoreIrish  (2019-07-15 16:43:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least so he said when he wasn't winning games on grass.