Question About run game/read option
by UPSTATEIRISH (2019-07-15 13:34:47)

In reply to: How effective will the running game be this year?  posted by Jvan

Kelly seems to call for this play maybe 10 to 12 per game -- possibly more because I am going off memory. Why does it seem other teams who use this quite a bit seem to execute the play so well? There never seems to be hesitation when the QB decides to hand off, or keep the ball when the DE doesn't stay home and crashes down the line.

I get frustrated when ND runs this play because it seems it is always late developing. The QB and RB seem to waltz for two or three steps before the QB makes a decision to hand off or to keep and run, which allows the defense close in and shut down any potential hole or lane. For those who are more astute when it comes to coaching or breaking down this play, is it the QB with slow decision making, opposing defenses are quick than our offense or is the play not designed all that well? A combination of all of the above?

I will appreciate any and all responses because nothing makes me want to tear out my hair while watching the Irish play than a read-option, drive killing play that gets stuffed for a loss of yards.