Louisville is riding a nine game losing streak and finished
by cj (2019-08-21 15:57:18)

2018 # 120 out of 130 at 2-10.

In their last 7 games they gave up 66, 38, 56, 77, 54, 52 and 56.

They ranked # 128 out of 130 in opponent points (44). They ranked # 123 in points scored at (19).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisville/2018-schedule.html

So, what do they have going for them?

HC Scott Satterfield took the helm last December and retooled the staff.

He was the QB coach when Appalachian State ended um’s 2007 season in week 1. That “Sniper/Rifle shot” take out was among the most glorious upsets ever. The magnificence of that defeat was tempered by Fatso. On the same day he authored his own masterpiece and got pasted by GA Tech 33-3, at home, enroute to a 3-9 gem of a season.

“Satterfield compiled a remarkable 51-24 record at Appalachian State, including a 38-10 conference mark in six seasons with the Mountaineers. His conference record of 34-6 in five Sun Belt seasons is the best in the league over that span. Notably, he became the first coach to lead a school from the FCS level to FBS and immediately earn three-consecutive bowl wins.” This is worth a read: https://gocards.com/coaches.aspx?rc=791&path=football

I checked out the first 2 coaches listed on his staff.

https://gocards.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

OC/OL “Considered one of the top offensive line tacticians in the country, Dwayne Ledford was named the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach at the University of Louisville on Dec. 18, 2018.”

“A seven-year NFL veteran, Ledford played for the San Francisco 49ers (1999-2000, 2003-04), Jacksonville Jaguars (2000), Carolina Panthers (2001), Cleveland Browns (2005) and New Orleans Saints (2006). He saw action in eight games, including one start, for the 49ers in 2003.”

DC/Cornerbacks “The architect of one the nation's top defenses in 2017, Bryan Brown was named the defensive coordinator at the University of Louisville on Dec. 12, 2018.

After six seasons as the cornerbacks coach at Appalachian State (2012-17), Brown was promoted into the defensive coordinator position with the Mountaineers where he tutored one of the top defensive units in the nation.

In leading the Mountaineers to their third-straight Sun Belt title, a 10-2 record and a fourth consecutive bowl appearance, Brown's defense ranked sixth nationally in scoring defense at 15.7 points per game, holding the opposition to 10 or fewer points in seven contests. Brown's unit also ranked third in the country in passing defense (148.1) and sixth in total defense (279.3).”

ND better end this game early.

PS One thing we have going for us is the current competition to “The Shirt”. (link) Dear Lord...

we're favored by 20.5 *
by discNDav  (2019-08-22 08:59:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UL has new coach, new JUCOS, new philosophy
by ProV1x  (2019-08-22 07:46:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and attitude.This game will be close down to the final gun.

i think it will be close, for the first half.
by 84david  (2019-08-22 14:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by halftime, romper room will have exploded,
with half the people slitting their wrists and
the other half checking out (possibly for the season).

NDs huge talent advantage will allow us to pull away
a little and maybe win by 10-14.

Kelly will lament how hard it is to win on the road at night.

I'm not liking ProV's updates.
by cj  (2019-08-22 15:58:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like the Cardinals are loaded for bear. They've worked the grad and JUCO transfers to beef up.
We need to beat the ever living sh** out of them early and for the duration.

It's going to be real hostile all around.

We’ve got our Designated Worrier! Thank you for your service
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-22 16:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cj.

I call dibs on the Virginia Tech game.

With Death having been vanquished a few years ago, we Designated Worriers are more important than ever.

"Zach Frazeritis" (link)
by cj  (2019-08-22 17:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kudos to him for sticking it to Chuckles...

He who laughs last...

Your conclusion does not follow from your premises
by oneill3b  (2019-08-22 11:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

U of L will likely be very much improved. ND is nevertheless vastly more talented, and the coaching is a wash with Kelly’s re-tooled staff. (I do think Satterfield is good and has built a good staff.) ND should control this game pretty easily by mid-second quarter, if not earlier.

I think Louisville will be decent in a few years..
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 12:37:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The talent just is not there to turn it around in year 1. And they’re years behind a program like Notre Dame.

ND by at least 3 TDs...
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 08:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Louisville will be improved this year (impossible not to be), but they don't have the talent to stay with ND.

Are those the blackout shirts for Bowling Green? *
by Goldhelmethead  (2019-08-21 21:56:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never thought he could outdo his horsey outfit.
by cj  (2019-08-21 22:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Warning: video in article may cause permanent damage....

If we don't win this game by 30+
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-08-21 21:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are going to have a very long season.

This gets said in every season..
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 08:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And rarely has any bearing on anything. Especially not in the fist game of the season.

we're their super bowl *
by jt  (2019-08-21 19:07:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We might be their Raycom Media Camellia Bowl . . .
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-08-22 08:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

given their Appalachian State connections.

Our kicking game lost almost all its experience.
by cj  (2019-08-21 21:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FR punter....has huge shoes to fill...as does Doerer ...
I hope we can keep post TD kickoffs in bounds.

I am curious to see how Patterson holds up.

They seem to love all the kickers...
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 08:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like Doerer has locked down the PK job with consistency. He has a stronger leg than Yoon.

And they love the freshman punter.

There was more concern in the spring.

A nice opening blowout would settle them in. If it's
by cj  (2019-08-22 10:15:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tight it'll be a real baptism by fire.

One of my fond student football memories was watching Joe Unis trot out. Always entertaining.... He finished his FG career at 3 for 9. He was the ND Wylie Coyote of kickers. Straight on kicker.... hard to believe he could consistently be so far off line...

The best was when he had to reload the extra point in the Chicken Soup Cotton Bowl. Heart stopping....

ND FG holder better be able to get the ball down clean.
by ProV1x  (2019-08-22 07:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember last UL game?

I’d like to forget the last time the 2 teams played. *
by MobileIrish  (2019-08-22 11:55:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not fair, they get a bye week before they play us! *
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-08-21 21:35:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No VanGorder as DC is worth three touchdowns. *
by rkellyatrecess  (2019-08-21 16:57:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someday, before he croaks, I want to hear from him . . .
by The Flash  (2019-08-21 18:00:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

. . . in his own words, why he came from SEC and NFL teams, and then
blew chunks at ND. It never got any better (team defense ranked 83, 40,
and 62 from 2014 to 2016).

I just want to hang a hundred on BGSU *
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-08-21 20:12:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Second.
by NW Ohio Irish  (2019-08-21 20:23:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully I’ll get two victories over them this year.

My theory: His defensive scheme, which is based on..
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-08-21 19:44:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Rex Ryan model, has become woefully obsolete, having been deciphered and eviscerated by offensive coordinators at the college and NFL levels alike. As we saw repeatedly at Notre Dame, there are some basic concepts that are fundamentally unsound and can be easily exploited, especially in lining up against the run.

But it’s also been exposed in the passing game. Initially, Ryan had some real success pressuring and confusing QBs, who were mainly taking deeper drops and running for their lives against the exotic and unfamiliar blitz packages that Ryan was dialing up. But as the shift to shorter drops and quicker timing patterns has taken hold, the scheme has proven increasingly vulnerable, as those blitzes now routinely fail to get home and the back of the defense is left to burn.

And to top it all off, it’s notoriously complicated and impedes players from being decisive and playing fast.

Why anyone would hire VanGorder at this point is a mystery. Yet, after that disastrous stint at Louisville last year, he has somehow resurfaced as DC at Bowling Green. Wow.

I guess this means that the Bears 46 defense wouldn't work
by jbrown_9999  (2019-08-22 11:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in today's game.

(assuming that Ryan's scheme is derived from his father Buddy's famous defense)

I think this is correct
by carroll2005  (2019-08-22 07:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, this scheme was the perfect foil to Michigan's 2014 offense, which was equally backwards and outdated, and brought us one truly glorious night in South Bend...

He got fired from the SEC, at Auburn, in 2012.
by rkellyatrecess  (2019-08-21 19:02:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scott Loeffler was the offensive coordinator on that staff. That is how Brian VanGorder came by his current job at Bowling Green, where Loeffler is now in his first season as head coach.

That Gene Chizik would think to hire the worst defensive coordinator and one of the worst offensive coordinators in college football, further shows what a transcendent talent Cam Newton was at Auburn with Chizik.

If we are a NC caliber team we'll beat them by triple digits *
by athlete37  (2019-08-21 16:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're not and we won't *
by Rosecrea  (2019-08-21 16:40:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was kidding *
by athlete37  (2019-08-21 17:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'll be very a very close game again. *
by ProV1x  (2019-08-22 07:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND will win pretty easily.
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-08-22 08:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This Louisville team is gutted, and it’s going to take a few years to assemble something competitive.

No it won't. *
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 08:29:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post