New Mexico game
by ND76 (2019-08-22 08:49:05)

My son will be in Rome( Italy) the day of the game. Can anyone suggest a good bar to watch the game there? Thanks in advance

Good for your son
by Denver Jim (click here to email the poster)  (2019-08-24 12:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a great fan. Heck, I once drove 120 miles past Vail to listen to a weak radio broadcast of a Gerry Faust team lose a game. And I cut a vacation short to come back and listen (not watch) the Irish lose a 3-0 game. But they were defending national champs. I'm sure these world travelers have many such stories.

And a new rivalry may emerge. Hope so, I have a free place to stay in ABQ.

Your son's loyalty to ND is admirable;
by BeijingIrish  (2019-08-22 09:21:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

however, I would like to suggest that to watch ND battle the mighty Lobos when he could be enjoying the charms of one of the world's great cities--a trove of cultural treasure--is a misallocation of time. I suppose it isn't so bad if the game is broadcast late at night over there, but still.

I will boycott the game for several reasons: (1) I do not want to see the image of traitor scumbag Bob Davie on TV or even from a distance, e.g., satellite imagery; (2) I do not want to reward the people who scheduled the game. UNM is not a worthy opponent, and the fact that we are playing them dishonors our football legacy.

I’m torn re: Davie
by IrishLep  (2019-08-23 08:43:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On one hand I feel the same as you in that I absolutely do not want to see that asshole in ND Stadium with his Crest whitening teeth smiling all over my television. On the other hand, if the game goes like it’s supposed to and ND plays like they should, I want to see that face when the Irish are kicking the shit out of him by 6 TD’s I want to see that pain and frustration. I’d imagine it would look like it did when he couldn’t conquer the hot dog machine.

I’m going to sprinkle pollen dust on their sideline to bring
by OldIrishFan  (2019-08-26 08:16:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On snot rockets

While he's standing there with that stupid look on his face
by daviehamsufferer97  (2019-08-25 17:45:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will shout, "[inaudible]!"

agreed, jesus fc
by ndlarryj  (2019-08-22 23:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that shitstorm of a game deserves one glance at his iphone to check the halftime score isn't worse than 28-7, and then he should resume chasing Italian tail.

Nice hijack
by ND76  (2019-08-22 22:04:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least we got one name out of it.

How many days will he be in Rome? *
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 09:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe he feels he can squeeze in time for the Irish
by BacTien  (2019-08-22 11:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and still enjoy Italy. Maybe.

I agree with the principle of this post, but...
by golfjunkie17  (2019-08-22 18:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game will start at 8:30-ish local time in Italy. There’s not a lot of culture to take in at that hour. But, some of my best times abroad have been finding a local watering hole to watch my favorite team, or a sporting event I’m interested in, play at odd hours. I’ve met some great people and had some experiences that I will never forget in bars I can’t remember the names of with people I’ll never see again.

P.S., as a younger man, I found out (and took full advantage of) that there are a good number of foreign women who secretly find loud, drunk, and obnoxious American men to be extremely desirable. Watching a sporting event in a bar only hastens to deliver the message to any local young lady that you are most certainly a loud, obnoxious American who can really bring it with a little loudmouth soup.

When in Rome.
by Jurassic  (2019-08-22 11:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Watch ND Football. Against a shit opponent.

Nahhh. There are more worthwhile ventures.

BI is offering good advice. He should explore the city in
by ONeillMGK  (2019-08-22 11:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the moonlight. Wander into a cafe. Have a long leisurely dinner at an incredible local restaurant without worrying about ND vs. some body bag opponent while on a rare trip to one of the world's great cities.

Or he could just do what he wants to do? *
by BigNDfan  (2019-08-22 15:08:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You must be new here
by pmcdnd96  (2019-08-22 21:44:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Go buy an MDX (insured by USA@ of course) and a road bike and get back to us

Again, maybe HE doesn't feel he's losing that much time
by BacTien  (2019-08-22 14:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe he will have days or more to explore. He wants to watch ND.

Maybe he should take the advice to heart
by ACross  (2019-08-22 21:32:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisdom is wisdom.

Scholar's Pub. Tons of American sports on TV there *
by NDTommie  (2019-08-22 08:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Much appreciated. *
by ND76  (2019-08-23 08:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full name is "Scholars Lounge Irish Pub"
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-08-22 14:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks - I will pass on to the son in Rome this fall.

I second this - great pub steps from Piazza Venezia. *
by JimmyJam04  (2019-08-22 10:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post